Raw Juice Cleanses

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
emsa
Percy Williams

Raw Juice Cleanses

Postby emsa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm

I've recently gained some interest into going through a 2 day (or 1 day) raw juice cleanse in attempts to recharge my system and get back on track with clean eating habits.

Wondering if anyone has ever gone through a juice cleanse of some sort and if the result were worth the time and effort (whether it be a cleanse done with juices made at home/or bought from a store).

Open to suggestions!
"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow"
- Henry David Thoreau

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Raw Juice Cleanses

Postby La » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Before you embark on what could be a costly (and potentially useless) endeavour, you might want to read this:
http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.c ... lling-you/

IMO, the only thing that will be "cleansed" is your wallet.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Agree.

Save your money.

Nothing wrong with changing to healthy eating habits, but you do not need to do anything but that. No need to "recharge" your system. Our bodies do a remarkable job of cleansing on their own.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

emsa
Percy Williams

Postby emsa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm

La wrote:Before you embark on what could be a costly (and potentially useless) endeavour, you might want to read this:

Interesting..thanks for the link. Anyone have an suggestions for morning smoothies or juice recipes they usually go with throughout the day? I know smoothies and juices only do so much for getting a sufficient nutrient intake..but as a university student constantly on the go sometimes liquid form is the most convenient :(
"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow"
- Henry David Thoreau

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 pm

emsa wrote:
La wrote:Before you embark on what could be a costly (and potentially useless) endeavour, you might want to read this:

Interesting..thanks for the link. Anyone have an suggestions for morning smoothies or juice recipes they usually go with throughout the day? I know smoothies and juices only do so much for getting a sufficient nutrient intake..but as a university student constantly on the go sometimes liquid form is the most convenient :(

have you watched the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? i came across one day on hulu and although it's very much anecdotal, the story was quite compelling. i started juicing more after i saw it, and one of my favourites is his morning juice, the mean green.

i tried it as a smoothie a few times (definitely pros and cons to juices versus smoothies), but i felt like it was a bit too much fibre in one serving.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 am

I would respectfully contend that juicers are in no way your friend. The problem with juice is it not only superconcentrates the sugars of nature's original item, it (ironically) also deprives you of water that helps you feel full. Anyone with a juicer will attest to the goopy (that is... watery) mess left behind by a juicer. You're literally throwing away the good stuff (water, fibre, vitamins) and drinking the sugar.

As others have mentioned, God/Mother Nature/Your parents gave you all the cleansing machinery you need.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am

deerdree wrote:
emsa wrote:

have you watched the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? i came across one day on hulu and although it's very much anecdotal, the story was quite compelling. i started juicing more after i saw it, and one of my favourites is his morning juice, the mean green.

i tried it as a smoothie a few times (definitely pros and cons to juices versus smoothies), but i felt like it was a bit too much fibre in one serving.

I would agree that blending, rather than juicing, is preferable if you want something portable (I have a home-made smoothie for breakfast every day). I love my VitaMix for the fact that it's powerful enough to blend anything to a smooth, drinkable consistency.
dgrant wrote:The problem with juice is it not only superconcentrates the sugars of nature's original item, it (ironically) also deprives you of water that helps you feel full. Anyone with a juicer will attest to the goopy (that is... watery) mess left behind by a juicer. You're literally throwing away the good stuff (water, fibre, vitamins) and drinking the sugar.

I agree, which is why I rarely if ever drink juice of any kind. I try to avoid drinking my calories in general (morning smoothie notwithstanding).

One other consideration is if you have trouble getting enough vegetables into your diet that blending (rather than juicing) is a good way to get your daily veggies if you otherwise wouldn't be.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:05 am

I concur with the above!

I'm back to enjoying smoothies in the morning. Everything and anything in the vita mix, so long as it contains:
at least one vegetable serving (I've used Kale, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots)
one fruit serving (froz. mango, banana, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
a form a lean protein (fat free cottage cheese, protein powder)
I'm adding hemp seeds/chia seeds, flax oil and powdered greens and almond milk.

I find that if I sip away at it slowly throughout the morning, I avoid the mid-late morning hunger "pains" that I would normally have after eating a typical breakfast of cereal/milk/banana, or peanut butter and toast.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 am

i think the difference for me when i tried juicing v. blending is that you can only blend so many vegetables before you (or at least i) get GI issues from all the fibre. i find that most "green smoothie" recipes throw in about two cups of leafy greens and a bunch of fruit. conversely, juices like the one i listed above don't tend to have as much fruit. some of them don't have any fruit. is there really that much sugar to worry about when you're juicing cucumbers and celery?

i don't have a juicer so my method is to blend everything in the vitamix then strain it with a nut milk bag until every drop is out.

if you have a blender, i would just give it a shot and see how it makes you feel. i had an insane amount of energy and mental clarity on the days i had green juice for/with breakfast.

there are good ways and bad ways of juicing. i think if you make an effort to do it the good way, it can have some benefits. (but that's separate from the "cleanse" debate - i'm never done a juice cleanse.)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 am

What do cucumber and celery juice provide in nutrition? They would be mostly water. A few vitamins and mineral, but they aren't exactly nutrient-rich foods.

People talk all the time about limiting processed foods, but juicing is a form of processing-- you're changing the fundamental nature of the food. It doesn't help too much if you feel like you aren't getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet to fool yourself into thinking you're getting most of the benefits from the juice alone.

Smoothies are much less "processed" in this way since the fibre and everything else remains (although still moderately processed). For many people they might make it more convenient than eating the foods whole, but it's not a better way to eat the foods in general.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Jwolf wrote:People talk all the time about limiting processed foods, but juicing is a form of processing-- you're changing the fundamental nature of the food. It doesn't help too much if you feel like you aren't getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet to fool yourself into thinking you're getting most of the benefits from the juice alone.

Smoothies are much less "processed" in this way since the fibre and everything else remains (although still moderately processed). For many people they might make it more convenient than eating the foods whole, but it's not a better way to eat the foods in general.

This is something I'm trying to learn more about. Certain plant foods lose nutritional value very, very quickly when their cells are damaged (cut/mashed/etc) and others not so much. Some (like garlic) are nutritionally improved when they are minced/smashed. I'd like to figure out which are affected in which way.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm

dgrant wrote:
Jwolf wrote:People talk all the time about limiting processed foods, but juicing is a form of processing-- you're changing the fundamental nature of the food. It doesn't help too much if you feel like you aren't getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet to fool yourself into thinking you're getting most of the benefits from the juice alone.

This is something I'm trying to learn more about. Certain plant foods lose nutritional value very, very quickly when their cells are damaged (cut/mashed/etc) and others not so much. Some (like garlic) are nutritionally improved when they are minced/smashed. I'd like to figure out which are affected in which way.

That's true but our teeth also do the mincing and smashing of many things. Some small seeds like flax need to be ground or you do lose lots of the benefits. And many foods' nutritional value is enhanced by cooking, so raw isn't always good either.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 pm

I have been having issues with my health (what else is new :roll: ) and GI challenges are one of them. I do a day or two of juice when I have been having an attack and it helps. But I do love my Nutribullet for smoothies! I could really do 2 veggie smoothies and one breakfast vega/almond milk/fruit smoothie and be happy lately. I do find that there is a lot of fiber and sipping them slowly helps me not also get a lot of air in which was leading to bloating.

My favourite this week has been:
spinach
kale
green apple
lemon
beets
some hemp powder
water
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”