Easy Beef Recipe Wanted

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
5km
Bill Crothers

Easy Beef Recipe Wanted

Postby 5km » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Due to a B12 deficiency, I have been encouraged to eat more red meat. Hard to believe isn't it?

I don't have a barbecue or a way of grilling meat, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to prepare simple beef dishes by roasting or stewing, probably not frying beyond browning.

Any suggestions?

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Easy Beef Recipe Wanted

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 pm

You can get b12 from other sources other than red meat. This article might help you with other suggestions to help you get enough.
Can't really help you with you original question, we BBQ most of our meat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e16777645/
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Pot roast is really easy. Get a cheap, tough cut of meet like chuck, put it in a covered pan with onions, carrots, a can of tomato sauce, some wine or broth or water, and herbs and spices of your choice. Let it cook for a good 2 hours (depending on size of roast) at 300 F until the meat is tender and falling apart. You can throw in a couple of potatoes to cook during the last hour.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm

I strongly recommend something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ham ... appliances

We got one maybe 10 years ago (didn't pay anywhere near that) and use it constantly for indoor meat cookery - boneless beef and chicken especially. Adding one appliance will vastly expand the range of what you can do, beyond stews and roasts.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Avis wrote:Pot roast is really easy. Get a cheap, tough cut of meet like chuck, put it in a covered pan with onions, carrots, a can of tomato sauce, some wine or broth or water, and herbs and spices of your choice. Let it cook for a good 2 hours (depending on size of roast) at 300 F until the meat is tender and falling apart. You can throw in a couple of potatoes to cook during the last hour.

Hijack by Carl Weathers:

http://youtu.be/Sr2PlqXw03Y
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

ground beef is my go-to. You can use it for so many different things! Chili is on my list for this week. Pasta is a regular. Beef stroganoff (yum). Shepherd's pie (double yum).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 am

in terms of simple, i'd say:

INGREDIENTS
1 (1-1/4- to 1-1/2-inch-thick) New York strip steak (about 8 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS
Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, about 30 to 45 minutes.
Season the steak on both sides with the salt and pepper. Rub both sides with the olive oil and set aside.
Heat a medium heavy-bottomed frying pan (not nonstick!) over high heat until very hot but not smoking, about 3 to 4 minutes. (If the pan gets too hot and starts to smoke, take it off the heat to cool a bit.) Place the steak in the pan and let it cook undisturbed until a dark crust forms on the bottom, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Flip the steak using tongs or a spatula and cook until it’s medium rare, about 3 to 4 minutes more. To check for doneness, use your finger to press on the steak: It should be firm around the edges but still give in the center. You can also use an instant-read thermometer; it should read about 125°F to 130°F.
Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Balsamic Roast Beef (crock pot)

1 3/4-2 lb boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast work well)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cloves minced garlic

Brown roast beef in a hot pan first for best flavour. Place beef into crock pot. Mix all ingredients together and pour over the roast beef. Set your crockpot for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.

Once the beef has been cooked, remove it and shred with 2 forks (like pulled pork). Ladle about 1/2 cup of the gravy over the shredded beef.

Pour the remaining sauce in a small pan and reduce to a gravy. I add a bit of a cornstarch/water slurry to thicken it up.

Serves 6-8 people depending on size of the roast.

This is a winter go-to for me, ends up being "pulled" style meat. That and Chili, meatballs, soups with hamburger in them.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 am

MINITEE wrote:Brown roast beef in a hot pan first for best flavour.

This is a must-do for me. I know slow cookers are supposed to be easy with everything thrown in one pot at once to cook, but when meat (and even veg) is cooked without browning first, you have to add all kinds of extra seasoning to make it taste good.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

La wrote:
MINITEE wrote:Brown roast beef in a hot pan first for best flavour.

This is a must-do for me. I know slow cookers are supposed to be easy with everything thrown in one pot at once to cook, but when meat (and even veg) is cooked without browning first, you have to add all kinds of extra seasoning to make it taste good.

Definitely--for nice brown color, too! Otherwise the meat can turn out looking rather gray--yuck!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

We ended up broiling a sirloin in the oven and using the left overs for chili the next day. Yum!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:32 pm

I make this Beef Bourguignon. I've done it with the pearl onions, but also with just extra sliced onions.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:54 pm

I just made this:
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap ... ili-pasta/

Thanks to scrumhalfgirl for the link. It's very yummy!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”