New at running.......

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
paddlesup78

New at running.......

Postby paddlesup78 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

Great fourms!
:help:
I want to start running (never ran before) I tried during a walk a few weeks ago.(I walk allot) It felt like someone was jumping up and down on my chest and I was totally out of breath........thought I was dying.......Is this normal? Im healthy and had the go ahead from my doc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jenn

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: New at running.......

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 25, 2012 10:03 pm

This is normal. :) For some reason many of us naturally try to go too fast when we first start. I would recommend starting with a run/walk program (like one minute run, one minute walk, repeat) until you gradually replace walking with running. There are some good "Learn to Run" programs out there including "Couch to 5K" and those in "Running Room's Book on Running" (or it's precursor "Running Start to Finish"). Here is an example to get an idea:

http://www.littlebigrun.ca/UserFiles/File/Running%20Room%20Training/Weekly%20Training%20Program%20for%20Learn%20to%20Run(1).pdf

You can continue to walk on days in between.

Good luck and have fun! And welcome to Runningmania. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 pm

I'll just add a +1 to Jwolf. I started my second attempt at serious running (after a 5+ year hiatus and two kids!) in January of this year. I was huffing through walk 2 run 1 at the very beginning, and just this week I ran 5k without walking at all. It does get better, but it takes time and patience. You can do it! :)
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Welcome to RunningMania! And I'll go along with the above advice. I walked a lot too, before I began running, but alas, I found the walking did not prepare me for the exertion of running. I had to start at an even lower level than 1 minute of running--I measured my running in steps. It was something like 40 steps running to 40 steps walking. (Around the backyard, so no one could see me!).

All this is to say, start with the level you can do, and increase gradually. Good luck!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue May 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Avis wrote:Welcome to RunningMania! And I'll go along with the above advice. I walked a lot too, before I began running, but alas, I found the walking did not prepare me for the exertion of running. I had to start at an even lower level than 1 minute of running--I measured my running in steps. It was something like 40 steps running to 40 steps walking. (Around the backyard, so no one could see me!).

All this is to say, start with the level you can do, and increase gradually. Good luck!

This is great advice, Avis here went from 40 steps of running to a really nice 10km race at ORW, so she should know!!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 am

mas_runner wrote:
Avis wrote:Welcome to RunningMania! And I'll go along with the above advice. I walked a lot too, before I began running, but alas, I found the walking did not prepare me for the exertion of running. I had to start at an even lower level than 1 minute of running--I measured my running in steps. It was something like 40 steps running to 40 steps walking. (Around the backyard, so no one could see me!).

This is great advice, Avis here went from 40 steps of running to a really nice 10km race at ORW, so she should know!!

Aw, mas_runner, you make me blush!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Welcome!

Many of us began with the walk/run strategy. Walk for 2 minutes, run for 1 minute, repeat for a total of 20 minutes. Then, move up gradually to increase your run time and decrease your walk time to 1 minute. So, walk 1 minute, run 1 minute.... then run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute...

It's so normal to feel out of breath like that. Don't worry :)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed May 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Welcome!

Many of us began with the walk/run strategy. Walk for 2 minutes, run for 1 minute, repeat for a total of 20 minutes. Then, move up gradually to increase your run time and decrease your walk time to 1 minute. So, walk 1 minute, run 1 minute.... then run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute...

It's so normal to feel out of breath like that. Don't worry :)

It is great when new runners come to the boards because sometimes us old folk who have done it before need this info too.

I often get too caught up in what "I used to" be able to do and get easily fed up with my running efforts these days.

Welcome here...and thanks for the reminders everyone!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm

The old Cool Running Couch-to-5k program is in my opinion one of the best for first timers (or those starting over)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm with Kara! I have to constantly remind myself I'm a beginner again not the half marathoner I use to be..... It all requires patience and keeping focused on the small improvements.....almost done a beginner program, started with run 5 walk 1 min (I had been running short 3k runs before) and now about to run 28min no walking. I still struggle at the end but I'm getting it done, breathing hard and talking myself through the last 10 min or so......but the first 20 min are getting easier lol
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Welcome to RM and to running! I add to the others that it is easier to start with walk/run intervals and add on the running time as you progress.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Return to “The Scenic Route”