Swimming...

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Swimming...

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:25 pm

La wrote:Whichever is most comfortable for you. I prefer silicone because it lasts longer and doesn't pinch as much as latex. But they're more expensive. Plus, you can get some really cute ones with patterns on them.

I couldn't swim without a cap - can't stand hair in my face. :x

but, as with goggles, I won't know what's comfortable until it's already bought and in the pool. :/ That's the annoying part about swimming stuff. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:33 am

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:Whichever is most comfortable for you. I prefer silicone because it lasts longer and doesn't pinch as much as latex. But they're more expensive. Plus, you can get some really cute ones with patterns on them.

but, as with goggles, I won't know what's comfortable until it's already bought and in the pool. :/ That's the annoying part about swimming stuff. :P

swim caps are pretty cheap, but send me your mailing address - I have more swim caps than I'll ever use or need collected from races, etc - I'll fire your one of each in the mail.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am

CinC wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

swim caps are pretty cheap, but send me your mailing address - I have more swim caps than I'll ever use or need collected from races, etc - I'll fire your one of each in the mail.

A silicone cap is about $10-15, latex is $3-7 (depending on where you buy them). It's not at all like goggles - they're all the same. The only decision of latex vs silicone is whether the comfort of silicone is worth the extra cost to you. For me, it is.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 am

Oh, and a tip my hairdresser gave me: to avoid getting chlorine soaked hair, wet your hair thoroughly in clear water (in the shower) before you put your cap on. Once your hair is wet, it won't absorb as much water.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:37 am

I haven't seen any caps that cheap. :/

I've seen a bunch for $20+.

CinC, I will send you my mailing address! :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Swimming...

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Really? They have them at the community pools here in Vancouver for about 5 bucks (latex).

20 must be a silicone one.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:45 pm

clearly I've only been visiting the posh swim shops! :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Swimming...

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:58 pm

ultraslacker wrote:clearly I've only been visiting the posh swim shops! :lol:

which pool do you go to? They probably sell them there, although they might not be obviously on display.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:clearly I've only been visiting the posh swim shops! :lol:

which pool do you go to? They probably sell them there, although they might not be obviously on display.

I go to several north van pools... and I'm pretty sure the prices of caps are high there too. I have to double check but I'm sure it was $20 the last time I checked.

bambambam
Percy Williams

Postby bambambam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:06 pm

I haven't been there in a while, but the Team Aquatic Supplies store in Burlington Ontario used to have a box of latex caps for $1 - unpopular colours or extras printed with some obscure club logo. They apparently have a location in North Vancouver: http://www.team-aquatic.com

Also dusting the inside of a latex swim cap with a little baby powder makes it easier to put on. (Just put the baby powder in the cap at home, and shake out any excess. Don't do it at the pool because on those rare occasions when the changroom floor is dry, baby powder on the floor creates a slipping hazard.)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 pm

bambambam wrote:I haven't been there in a while, but the Team Aquatic Supplies store in Burlington Ontario used to have a box of latex caps for $1 - unpopular colours or extras printed with some obscure club logo. They apparently have a location in North Vancouver: http://www.team-aquatic.com

I tried to go there one day but they were closed... poor hours and location. But I will try again. :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:35 am

Today I decided to check my heartrate since it felt really fast. After 20 lengths it was 136bpm and after 30 lengths it was 144bpm.

That seems really high for me and obviously must be connected to the fact that I'm still not breathing well. I definitely feel like I've gone as far as I can go by myself right now, and need to get someone to help me get past this stuck point that I'm at. :/ Will start asking around for recommendations. :/

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:00 am

ultraslacker wrote:Today I decided to check my heartrate since it felt really fast. After 20 lengths it was 136bpm and after 30 lengths it was 144bpm.

That seems really high for me and obviously must be connected to the fact that I'm still not breathing well. I definitely feel like I've gone as far as I can go by myself right now, and need to get someone to help me get past this stuck point that I'm at. :/ Will start asking around for recommendations. :/

You could always try taking breaks after a certain number of laps. For me, I find that floating horizontally on my back gets my heart rate down faster than anything else.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Just out of curiosity, how fast are you going?
That heart rate isn't abnormally fast, but while swimming it's usually lower than running (because you're horizontal, not supporting your body weight, and the water has a cooling effect).

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Jwolf wrote:Just out of curiosity, how fast are you going?
That heart rate isn't abnormally fast, but while swimming it's usually lower than running (because you're horizontal, not supporting your body weight, and the water has a cooling effect).

I haven't timed it but I'm moving pretty slowly (and intentionally slowly). I'm not trying to go fast or anything. It takes me forever to do 40 lengths, especially since I'm stopping after each length to breathe. :roll:

had a nice chat with La today and she gave me some pointers and things to think about so I'll see if I can figure some things out on my next swim!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Saw in the daily thread that you had a discouraging workout. :( What happened that was different?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 pm

nothing happened, I just suck.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Swimming...

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:16 pm

No you don't. I'm impressed with how far you've come, Holly. Especially that you did it on your own!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I haven't timed it but I'm moving pretty slowly (and intentionally slowly). I'm not trying to go fast or anything. It takes me forever to do 40 lengths, especially since I'm stopping after each length to breathe.

Just found this thread, Holly. You are having an interesting journey. I signed up for my first try-tri to be done this Sept. 01. The above information caught my attention as on my first visit to the lane swim last Friday I did 20 lengths and it also took me forever!! I have been reading all the advice people have given you and I think that will help me. I will get some good goggles for sure.

Good luck with your progress!! :)

TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

deerdre pointed me to this thread after I posted that I'm teaching myself how to swim.

I know it's been almost 5 years ultraslacker, but how are you now? Have you done a try-a-tri or anything?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 am

TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:I know it's been almost 5 years ultraslacker, but how are you now? Have you done a try-a-tri or anything?

I didn't stick with it.

And now that I've got a shiny new epilepsy diagnosis, I don't see swimming in my future. :roll: :lol: Currently I'm not even allowed to use bath tubs or hot tubs unsupervised. :shock:

TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:I know it's been almost 5 years ultraslacker, but how are you now? Have you done a try-a-tri or anything?

I didn't stick with it.

And now that I've got a shiny new epilepsy diagnosis, I don't see swimming in my future.

Damn. I'm so sorry.

I bought a "pull buoy" and started using it last night. It's great for holding my legs up while I work on my arms and breathing. I do a few lengths with the pull buoy then try it without - last night I did a whole length of the pool on my own! I'm still keeping my head up and turning from side to side to breathe though, like how I learned as a kid, but I'm starting to work on putting my face in the water to exhale. It's not working yet, lol.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 pm

TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

I didn't stick with it.

And now that I've got a shiny new epilepsy diagnosis, I don't see swimming in my future.

Damn. I'm so sorry.

I bought a "pull buoy" and started using it last night. It's great for holding my legs up while I work on my arms and breathing. I do a few lengths with the pull buoy then try it without - last night I did a whole length of the pool on my own! I'm still keeping my head up and turning from side to side to breathe though, like how I learned as a kid, but I'm starting to work on putting my face in the water to exhale. It's not working yet, lol.

The pull buoy is great for getting the body rotation down.

To practice breathing, I used a kick board and just kicked with my face in the water and breathing side to side (arms straight out with the board). It helps you simplify things and concentrate on your breathing (and helps conserve some energy starting out).

TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:55 pm

eme wrote:The pull buoy is great for getting the body rotation down.

To practice breathing, I used a kick board and just kicked with my face in the water and breathing side to side (arms straight out with the board). It helps you simplify things and concentrate on your breathing (and helps conserve some energy starting out).

I started working on that last night - it went like "inhale...face in water...exhale...come up for air and freak out...calm down...inhale...face in water..." over and over. I'm getting there, lol.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:37 pm

TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:
eme wrote:The pull buoy is great for getting the body rotation down.

I started working on that last night - it went like "inhale...face in water...exhale...come up for air and freak out...calm down...inhale...face in water..." over and over. I'm getting there, lol.

Sounds like me when I started! Good job getting over the freak out - that was tough for me.

Return to “The Dark Side”