Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 am

Lightning, quit smelling your farts and get out there and run!!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 am

Lightening, thanks for the laugh. I needed that!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm glad you clarified the fart comment! Though you do live with a two year old, so perhaps no clarification needed!

Sara - you are hard core! good for you!

Kristi - I'm glad you have a good plan for the asthma!

My cold is still lingering with a lot of congestion, which makes running feel much harder than it should. My legs are 100% recovered, but my effort level doesn't match my output. I'd like to run the Fathers Day race in 10 days, so I'd better be un-sick!

C has been getting up super early again - which I'm okay with, since it means she dropped the 4 am wake-up she adopted while her top teeth were coming in (finally!) since I found that one hard to get back asleep after since it was so close to morning. So, we get up while DH sleeps and sneak out in the early morning sunshine for a little run together. It's a nice time of waving to birds and puppies!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Lightning, you are freaking hilarious! And smelly. So go run. Far far away :D

In kid news, I am waiting for V's last 2 freaking molars to come in...so I can start the teething process over again with N. FML! Looking forward to pushing 60lbs on kids in the chariot! Not! On that note, my 76-year-old aunt visited a couple of weeks ago and pushed the loaded chariot around the zoo! No, I didn't make her, she insisted! So if she can do that, I have no excuse not to run a few km with it!

ETA - oh ya! I just ran 5k. No walk breaks. Yay me!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 am

Just popping in to see how you are all doing. I thought of you ladies when I was at spin class and my VB was sore.

It looks like you are all busy busy busy, but doing great! Way to go Anners!! And Scrummy, your morning bonding run with C sounds wonderful :D

And for you HRM that run with the chariots - you are hard core!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 am

I'm not hard core - I don't like running with a stroller, so, I don't. :P

ORW for me was a bit of a different event than I was expecting, but, it was nice to get out there and run.

I just started teaching the Army Half Clinic and I'm looking forward to being "in charge" of a group again.

Our rental house has mirrors all around the bathroom that are quite humbling - it's making me re-think my eating habits and I'll definitely have to get out running some more again. The "running almost every day" was working well for me, but, taking almost all of the last 2 weeks off is starting to be too much and I need to get my butt out there again.

I was hoping to ride to work once a week or so this summer, but, with no cycling clothes or shoes anymore, it just seems like it's not going to happen right now - it's not a high priority.

/pity party.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello mommas!

Had a major setback with ppd last month, but now that I am back on the straight and narrow, I have started running again. Training for the sea wheeze half in August and loving having a schedule again. Dh will likely be gone for all of July, which will definitely throw a wrench into things, but I am just going to make do (ie ask for help where I can get it for once!!!).
Next?
:)

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh - and I also don't love running with a stroller. I mean, I will do it when I have to, but I find unless I time it just right it turns a 45 minute run into a 2 hour ordeal or a run shortening scream fest. I am lucky that my baby gym has child minding and they are located right next to a park / running trails... Given that I am looking for a way to get c some non-mommy time, I think this might be the answer to all my problems!
Next?

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 am

Glad that you are back on track, K! <hugs>

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 am

anners wrote:Glad that you are back on track, K! <hugs>

+1.

Keep it up everyone!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Aww, Rocky...I am sorry to hear things have not been easy. IG, you are allowed a pity party...many of them in fact. Hugs to you both!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Ugh I feel like the worst parent in the world today. At lunch today, I knocked over my MIL's coffee while reaching to help John with his juice box. The coffee went off the edge of the table onto John and he let out this SHRIEK. I rushed him to the bathroom, and ran it under cold water, and a nice lady (who I never got the opportunity to thank) wrapped it in wet paper towels for me. He needed a big hug, and then seemed ok (eventually).

He played outside when we got home, and required a full outfit change he was so drenched (it's raining heavily on and off here) and I took a look at his arm. It is blistered badly :( I have put cream on it, and put gauze on it to protect the blisters (I ripped the blister on a bad burn when I was 16 or 17, it got infected, hurt even worse than the original burn and I still have a scar), and have given him tylonel but I still feel awful.

Please share your horrible parent moments so I don't feel so alone...

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm

((((hugs for sara and john))))
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Awe...sorry to hear some of the stories FP, rocky. Hugs to you. You are good moms no matter what.

My child went to bed wearing 5 pairs of underwear tonight. My underwear. I had no energy to wrestle her any further. Had a fun time at the Relay for life on Fri but the weekend zapped all my energy and I woke up with a cold this morning. Kind of looking forward to work tomorrow as it is way more relaxing than being at home :? .

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am

hugs & sympathy for all those who need them!

FP - please don't be too hard on yourself. When I was beating myself up after Hamster #2 broke her arm just before she turned 2 (right in front of me - oh, and then I got to explain to one of my former med students what happened at Children's Hospital ER. That made me feel like mother of the year :roll: ), my DH pointed out that at her age, he'd already had 2 sets of stitches. It's not that these things don't suck when they happen (and I still can't see pictures of her with her little cast without feeling a little bit like a cr@ppy parent), but they happen a lot, and to lots of people. You aren't alone!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 am

My most recent: Saturday when Justin fell down the front cement steps
Joe's most recent: playing airplane with Caitlin and spraining her wrist

It happens to everyone.

ETA - wouldn't ignoring my kids to type this post also qualify as "bad parenting"? :lol:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Mr c lab mom (who is a nurse btw) had a steamer in mr c lab room. As a child he tripped on the cord and has a huge skin graft on his arm as a result. It happens, he is no worse for the wear and grew up as a normal well adjusted adult. We even tease her about it and now she laughs about it, realizing you just can't control everything.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am

AndyM wrote:Awe...sorry to hear some of the stories FP, rocky. Hugs to you. You are good moms no matter what.

My child went to bed wearing 5 pairs of underwear tonight. My underwear. I had no energy to wrestle her any further. Had a fun time at the Relay for life on Fri but the weekend zapped all my energy and I woke up with a cold this morning. Kind of looking forward to work tomorrow as it is way more relaxing than being at home :? .

This might need a bit more info :lol:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

FP - that is tough! You are still a good mom - accidents happen.

My "bad mommy" moments have come from the 2 occasions when I took Alex to the doctor for a quick checkup because he had a nasty cough to be told to pack him up and take him to emerg immediately as he was really very sick. What kind of mom doesn't know that her baby is really sick? I felt really horrible both of those times (especially the second because apparently I didn't learn the first time).

I'm very grateful for all of the things that my children won't remember when they are older :wink:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 am

Kristi wrote:FP - that is tough! You are still a good mom - accidents happen.

My "bad mommy" moments have come from the 2 occasions when I took Alex to the doctor for a quick checkup because he had a nasty cough to be told to pack him up and take him to emerg immediately as he was really very sick. What kind of mom doesn't know that her baby is really sick? I felt really horrible both of those times (especially the second because apparently I didn't learn the first time).

I'm very grateful for all of the things that my children won't remember when they are older :wink:
Seeking health care for your child and not picking the "correct" venue isn't an issue. You took your child in! You thought it was a family doctor issue, it wasn't. You took your child in! Bad mommy moments are not even taking your child in for health care, not being at the "correct"location for that health care is solvable.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I ran 18.2 km today. That is all.

:dance:
Next?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm

rockstar79 wrote:I ran 18.2 km today. That is all.

awesome!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm

woo hoo! Fabulous update!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Heck yes you did! Love that! Love the .2 thrown in for good measure, too!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

woohoo!!!

Return to “The Scenic Route”