Marathon training plans on Boston Marathon website

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 pm

For anyone who is interested (not just those who are training for Boston), the BAA website has four different training plans which might be worth a look:

http://www.baa.org/programs/training-pr ... ining.aspx
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Marathon training plans on Boston Marathon website

Postby fingerboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm

It's not a bad plan... just looked at the advanced one (can't really figure out why they'd put a beginner plan for training for Boston.. okay charity runners but the irony?)

I'd break it up a little differently myself or at least call it something else - distance 6-9mi should really be a GA day and I think that's what they mean. I'd do more recovery between the hard days and less 3 days of GA in a row personally.

My training has been generally

M- GA 8mi
T-LT - 8-10mi all said and done with w/u & c/d
W - GA/recovery 5-6mi
Th-V02 max/intervals -10mi
F - 0-5mi (heavier training)
S - GA 8mi
Su - Long up to 23mi

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 am

Nice beginner training plan that has 3 days/week speed work and peaks at 60 miles/week!

Maybe the BAA has a motive to have more people DNS?

I had to go take a couple advil just from reading it. :lol:
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:51 am

Jump145 wrote:Nice beginner training plan that has 3 days/week speed work and peaks at 60 miles/week!

Maybe the BAA has a motive to have more people DNS?

I think "beginner" takes on a much different meaning in the context of the Boston Marathon. The example that comes to mind for me is one of my former XC runners who ran a 3:15 last summer in her marathon debut. A training plan like this would probably be quite appropriate for her.

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:21 pm

I wonder how many people would see her run by and say to themselves...I remember when I was a beginner....

:lol:
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 pm

fingerboy wrote:It's not a bad plan... just looked at the advanced one (can't really figure out why they'd put a beginner plan for training for Boston.. okay charity runners but the irony?)

I'd break it up a little differently myself or at least call it something else - distance 6-9mi should really be a GA day and I think that's what they mean. I'd do more recovery between the hard days and less 3 days of GA in a row personally.

What does GA stand for/mean?
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:48 pm

mas_runner wrote:What does GA stand for/mean?

General Aerobic, i.e., a basic easy run.

Meanwhile, I noticed BAA's own guideline for the use of their Beginner plan, basically in line with what I was suggesting earlier:
BAA wrote:The "Beginner" program has a weekly mileage range of 40 to 65 miles and is intended for those runners who have raced one to three marathons.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:08 pm

ian wrote:
mas_runner wrote:What does GA stand for/mean?

General Aerobic, i.e., a basic easy run.

Meanwhile, I noticed BAA's own guideline for the use of their Beginner plan, basically in line with what I was suggesting earlier:
BAA wrote:The "Beginner" program has a weekly mileage range of 40 to 65 miles and is intended for those runners who have raced one to three marathons.

Someone just gave me a plan w/ GA runs. I've never heard the term before - funny to see it here too :). What's the difference (or is there one) btwn GA and recovery runs? The plan I was given has some runs as recovery and some as GA (along w/ the quality ones).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm

alexk wrote:Someone just gave me a plan w/ GA runs. I've never heard the term before - funny to see it here too :). What's the difference (or is there one) btwn GA and recovery runs? The plan I was given has some runs as recovery and some as GA (along w/ the quality ones).

It's mostly all the same thing. If you wanted to split hairs, I guess you could say that not all GA runs are for recovery, depending on whether or not the previous day had some quality running. The term "recovery" is somewhat misleading too, as any sort of run is likely to delay muscle healing relative to a complete rest day, but the term is nevertheless useful because it emphasizes the purpose of the run: by keeping it easy and short, you'll still be ready for the next quality run, all the while reaping the benefits of some extra mileage.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Ian. In the plan I was given, the GA runs aren't short (9 to 11 miles) but the recovery runs are (5 miles) - guess that explains the difference. I should have picked up on that!

edit: I just looked at the plans Jen provided the link for - they look interesting. I find my training's more effective when I don't follow a set plan but these allow for some wiggle room. They'd be good for reference, for sure.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 pm

My coach says that if you can remember exactly how many marathons you've run, you're still a beginner :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 am

ian wrote:Meanwhile, I noticed BAA's own guideline for the use of their Beginner plan, basically in line with what I was suggesting earlier:

Wow that's some beginner plan! I've run 8 marathons, and my mileage peaks at around 50 miles....my average is in the 30's I'd guess.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

Robinandamelia wrote:
ian wrote:Meanwhile, I noticed BAA's own guideline for the use of their Beginner plan, basically in line with what I was suggesting earlier:

Wow that's some beginner plan! I've run 8 marathons, and my mileage peaks at around 50 miles....my average is in the 30's I'd guess.

I think they mean "beginner" for Boston, not really beginner marathoner or a first-time marathoner.

I also like Jes's comment that if you can still remember how many marathons you've done, you're still a beginner. :) I wouldn't consider an "advanced" marathon plan even though I've done 4 marathons and my first was 6 years ago.

I do like that "beginner" plan and would consider it for a future marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Jwolf wrote:I think they mean "beginner" for Boston, not really beginner marathoner or a first-time marathoner.

I also like Jes's comment that if you can still remember how many marathons you've done, you're still a beginner. :) I wouldn't consider an "advanced" marathon plan even though I've done 4 marathons and my first was 6 years ago.

I do like that "beginner" plan and would consider it for a future marathon.

Oh 1-3 "Boston" Marathons perhaps?

I agree, I still use an Intermediate program myself, definitely don't feel ready/capable of an advanced plan.

Return to “Training ”