Donovan Bailey

What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks!!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Tonight we are having chicken burgers and curry vegetable barley soup. Haven't tried this soup before, I pulled the recipe out of a magazine while I was sitting at the dentist's office this afternoon.- it smells good!

ETA- Major yum, liked it very much. The boys? not so much. Drives me crazy trying to get these two to eat new things. Freaking heck!! I should have known that the second I put spinach in the soup it was over for them. Oh well. Their loss.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Red Lentil Thai Chili with a side of Roasted Garlic and Cracked Pepper Batard.

Both were delicious. If anybody makes the chili, be sure to use at least a 4L/4 Quart pot as my chili was about 2.5cm from the top of my 4L pot.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Yep, read that as Cracked Pepper Bas tard :lol:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 am

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:Yep, read that as Cracked Pepper Bas tard :lol:

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized that it wasn't that! :lol:

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Bought a turkey breast - I've cooked lots of turkeys but never just the breast. I have a Michael Smith on the BBQ recipe but it seems a bit complicated for my mood today :). Suggestions?
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

What's for dinner?

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Allie- you can roast the breast the same way you'd roast a while turkey- it just takes less time. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Mix up some maple syrup and olive oil (equal parts, probably 1/4 cup each), throw in a tbsp of dijon and a clove of garlic, and salt and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the breast for as long as you can before dinner, then roast. Baste it with some of the sauce as well (you may want to leave a bit aside for this). Very easy and yummy!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Hmmmm... I wonder what Grey Cup dinner will be at my brother's place tonight. All I know is I'm not cooking it.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 pm

QuickChick wrote:Mix up some maple syrup and olive oil (equal parts, probably 1/4 cup each), throw in a tbsp of dijon and a clove of garlic, and salt and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the breast for as long as you can before dinner, then roast. Baste it with some of the sauce as well (you may want to leave a bit aside for this). Very easy and yummy!

Mmm - this sounds really good - LOVE maple syrup! I ended up just mixing olive oil w/ some garlic/cracked pepper rub, basting it and roasting it w/ a bit of water in the pan. I used some fresh cranberries to make a sauce and served it w/ garlic mashed potatoes, baked squash and a garden salad. Yummy and much easier than the big bird! Unfortunately, dinner was rushed b/c of my son's hockey game! There should be a ban on Sunday activities at supper time!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Turkey in the oven for half time. It smells great.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:26 pm

I made croques Monsieur for supper. It was really good!!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Samantha wrote:I made croques Monsieur for supper. It was really good!!

I was just talking about Croque-Monsieur with someone last night! :)

Actually, that's not true... I was talking Monte Cristo. But I think they're the same thing, right?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 pm

La wrote:

Actually, that's not true... I was talking Monte Cristo. But I think they're the same thing, right?

Croques Monsieur is ham and cheese sandwich covered with Mornay sauce and baked in the oven

Monte Cristo is ham, ( and sometimes turkey) and cheese sandwich that is dipped in egg and then fried

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Samantha wrote:
La wrote:

Croques Monsieur is ham and cheese sandwich covered with Mornay sauce and baked in the oven

Monte Cristo is ham, ( and sometimes turkey) and cheese sandwich that is dipped in egg and then fried

I had a Monte Cristo at brunch with Marg when she was here a few weeks ago. I've never had a Croque Monsieur (or Madame, for that matter).

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:13 pm

La wrote:
Samantha wrote:
La wrote:

I had a Monte Cristo at brunch with Marg when she was here a few weeks ago. I've never had a Croque Monsieur (or Madame, for that matter).

I've never had a monte Cristo -dipped in egg = :sick:

But the CM was really nummy. I'm not sure how the fried egg would work tho.

It might not be Mornay sauce - cheese sauce anyhow whatever that is called.

I used this recipe
http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-foo ... pe-ll-1107.

I also really like this. It's sort of a quick easy variation of CM (with no cheese sauce) I usually make it with mozzarella since I hadn't tried gruyere until yesterday :lol:
http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/07/13/h ... e-sliders/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Samantha wrote:
La wrote:
Samantha wrote:
La wrote:

It's a French Toast Ham & Cheese sandwich. If you don't like French Toast then no, you won't like Monte Cristo.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Half-Mary wrote:Red Lentil Thai Chili with a side of Roasted Garlic and Cracked Pepper Batard.

Both were delicious. If anybody makes the chili, be sure to use at least a 4L/4 Quart pot as my chili was about 2.5cm from the top of my 4L pot.

That looks delish...on my list to try in the next couple weeks! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 pm

La wrote:
Samantha wrote:
La wrote:
Samantha wrote:
La wrote:

It's a French Toast Ham & Cheese sandwich. If you don't like French Toast then no, you won't like Monte Cristo.

I think the last time I had a Monte Cristo was in 1st Year University. I lived in residence and the cafeteria often served them for lunch (once a week it seemed), that I got sick of them rather quickly. I can`t seem to stomach the thought of trying one now. But I do like Croque-Monsieur, again it`s been a while since I had one too.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

I made a dish tonight using spaghetti squash and I really enjoyed it. :D

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1381

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am

Half-Mary wrote:I made a dish tonight using spaghetti squash and I really enjoyed it. :D

That looks really good. I have two spaghetti squash in the counter.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Half-Mary wrote:I made a dish tonight using spaghetti squash and I really enjoyed it. :D

That looks really good. I have two spaghetti squash in the counter.

my mom has made that. She's also done it with acorn squash and a ground beef/rice/veggies stuffing. Soooooo good. Minus the jalapeno.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 pm

I made "beer" can chicken in the oven. I didn't have a can of beer, so I used hard cider instead. I made a rub with salt, pepper, minced garlic, lemon zest, fresh thyme and olive oil. Yum!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Baked Turkey Scallopini with Panko breadcrumbs.

Here's a low-cal version of a schnitzel-type main course. I used turkey breast that had been thinly sliced/pounded (bought it that way, but you could do it yourself). You could use any type of meat you have or like (pork, veal, turkey, chicken).

Preheat oven to 400F.

Slather Dijon mustard all over the slices of turkey, then coat in seasoned Panko breadcrumbs (the mustard helps the breadcrumbs to stick). Bake for 15-20 min (depending on how thick the meat is) until cooked through. I cooked mine on a wire rack so that it would brown on all sides simultaneously and didn't need to flip them over. You could also cook them on a greased baking sheet.

You could use the same method to make baked chicken fingers. Alternately, you could also coat the meat in mayonnaise (rather than mustard) but that would up the calorie count a bit.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

La wrote:Baked Turkey Scallopini with Panko breadcrumbs.

Here's a low-cal version of a schnitzel-type main course. I used turkey breast that had been thinly sliced/pounded (bought it that way, but you could do it yourself). You could use any type of meat you have or like (pork, veal, turkey, chicken).

Preheat oven to 400F.

Slather Dijon mustard all over the slices of turkey, then coat in seasoned Panko breadcrumbs (the mustard helps the breadcrumbs to stick). Bake for 15-20 min (depending on how thick the meat is) until cooked through. I cooked mine on a wire rack so that it would brown on all sides simultaneously and didn't need to flip them over. You could also cook them on a greased baking sheet.

You could use the same method to make baked chicken fingers. Alternately, you could also coat the meat in mayonnaise (rather than mustard) but that would up the calorie count a bit.

There is an old WW recipe that is almost identical for a turkey or chicken Cordon Bleu. I should dig it out. This sounds yummy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”