Hamilton Boxing Day 10 Miler

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Hamilton Boxing Day 10 Miler

Postby Ken B » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:53 pm

This is the first event that I have actually "raced" since my surgery. I decided to go out as fast as I could and to hang in as long as possible. This would give me some indication as to how my recovery was progressing.
First the course - The course had to be changed this year due to some bridge construction. The first half was pretty much the same but then there was a loop and we returned along pretty much the same route back. Where as, this year we missed the "Chedoke" hill and the km of sometimes tricky trail along the top of it, we had to run the first 5-6 km in reverse to the finish. As this part is mostly downhill on the start, it was, therefore, mostly uphill at the finish. along with a bit of a headwind on the way back, it made the last part of the run a bit challenging. Which route is harder? I am not sure but anytime I don't have to run the Chedoke Hill is good.
My friend Mike and I drove down early in order to get a good parking spot and a locker in the YMCA change room. As usual, we were successful. We picked up our chips and received a cotton shirt. We were supposed to get snowman decorated "lounge" pants but something happened with the order. Not a problem for me!! I went out for a warm-up run/walk before the race.
The race started at noon. I placed myself near the front as "gun" time counts for awards in this event. The route starts with a short uphill and then over 5 km of pretty much all a gentle downhill. I soon settled into a sub 5:30 pace and it only took about 10 minutes before I felt comfortable. ( Love that downhill for the first segment of the route!! The traction was pretty good for December with only a few slippery patches to be aware of ( Especially on sharp turns )
My time at the half way mat was 43:43 which was only 32 seconds slower than my last year's PB effort. I was feeling good, but I knew the hills were coming. Actually this year, the half way point was part way up the first real hill, instead of at the bottom. I took a short walk break and a gel on that hill. Fortunately, what goes up must come down. After running along the top of the hill, we were able to get a nice downhill run until we joined up to the runners coming out as we headed back along the outward route.
This is where it became more difficult. After a section of very gentle rolling terrain, we headed back up the "gentle" incline to the finish. Hmmmm - didn't seem quite so gentle! That said, I really didn't find it too difficult. I definitely noted an increase in effort, my HR went up a bit, and my pace slowed a tad. I took another short walk break on the steepest part of the return route to drink some Gatorade and forged on to the finish. This year we finished in the truck tunnel on York street. A nice touch as you are out of the weather for a few moments as you walk back tot he YMCA.
I took a quick shower and changed into dry clothing. Then I went up to the gym to check the results.
Gun time: 1:28:28 Chip time: 1:28:22 I achieved a 2nd in my age group which garnered me a "gold" belt buckle. This was a 1 minute, seven second PB over last year. Obviously I am pleased to see that my conditioning is getting back to where I want it to be!!
My friend Mike wasn't racing the event this year. He has had a tough year, health wise, and hasn't been able to get in the training he would like. Next year should be a restart of our competition.
My 5 km Segments were as follows:
#1: 26:32 AP: 5:18 min/km - AHR: 151 bpm - mostly slight downhill terrain, no walk breaks
#2: 28:18 AP: 5:39 min/km - AHR: 153 bpm - one walk break, one long uphill, one long downhill
#3: 28:24 AP: 5:40 min/km - AHR: 156 bpm - one walk break , mostly slight uphill terrain
#4: 5:12 AP: 5:30 min/km - AHR: 162 bpm - steady plodding along to finish. ( Distance off on Garmin due to tunnel finish and sharp turns )
This is my last event of 2013 which has certainly been an interesting year. The low point was the Boston experience. The Cancer diagnosis started off as a very low point but due to my ongoing prognosis, I am considering a high point. If the Doctors hadn't caught it early, my story would be dramatically different. I consider myself very fortunate. Otherwise, I had an excellent year. At age 70, I had Personal Bests in Around the Bay 30 Km, the half-marathon ( Bayshore Half - Owen Sound ) , and in the Boxing Day 10 Miler. For me, it doesn't get much better!
So - Happy Holidays, one and all! See you in 2014!1

Ken B ( the Tortoise )
Last edited by Ken B on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Hamilton Boxing Day 10 Miler

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Hope the belt buckle is really cool and worth wearing. So happy you are in great shape. Great 2013 and vibes for 2014.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:36 am

Wow, look at you!! Hardly missed a beat. Congratulations on the AG.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:38 am

Ken the expression "Takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin" describes you to me. Way to go on the PB. Happy training and trails for 2014.
Hugs and Love
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 am

Awesome!

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Mouse wrote:Ken the expression "Takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin" describes you to me. Way to go on the PB. Happy training and trails for 2014.
Hugs and Love
Mouse

It is so great to see your name, Mouse! Thank you!! You have been an inspiration to me many times on my runs. Take care and have a good 2014!!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Congratulations Ken! Well done.

Not too shabby for a young fella. ;.)

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Nicely done Ken! I was looking at doing this race but in the end decided against it. Maybe next year. Hope 2014 brings you health and happiness!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

bigguy
Tom Longboat

Postby bigguy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Ken:

I am glad you enjoyed the event. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

James Van Dyke
race director
enjoy life, eat well, train with a smile.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:21 pm

bigguy wrote:Ken:

I am glad you enjoyed the event. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

James Van Dyke
race director

I'll be there!! I also have a couple of more runners interested in running it. Thanks again for putting on a great event!!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Nicely done Ken!!
All the best to you in 2014!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Well done Ken!

Nice to see you out and racing and well, kickin some butt!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Great race report. Good luck in 2014. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Geesh, another race, Ken? Did you just jot run a marathon earlier this month? ;)

Congrstulations, on another race to close out 2013... it is the last one for the year, right?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 pm

HCcD wrote:Geesh, another race, Ken? Did you just jot run a marathon earlier this month? ;)

Congrstulations, on another race to close out 2013... it is the last one for the year, right?

Right!!! :D!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Ken B wrote:
HCcD wrote:Geesh, another race, Ken? Did you just jot run a marathon earlier this month? ;)

And, what is your first racenof 2014, I wonder??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 pm

HCcD wrote:
Ken B wrote:

Not really a race, but I am doing the K-W Resolution run on Wednesday at noon.

My first Race is early March. I registered for a trail marathon in Western Kentucky. :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Ken B wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Ken B wrote:

My first Race is early March. I registered for a trail marathon in Western Kentucky. :)

going after another state I see.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 am

Spirit wrote:
Ken B wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Ken B wrote:

going after another state I see.

Sort of. I still have "all the states and provinces" in the back of my mind. But only if it works with my desire to find interesting events. As I may find more than one neat event in any one state, I am taking "interesting" over "all" now. :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Wow congrats Ken, what a great race! Belt buckle and all!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”