Stampie's 2015 Edition of the First Half

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Stampie's 2015 Edition of the First Half

Postby Stampie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:11 pm

This is the 4th year in a row that I have participated in this event. The First Half is near & dear to me. This race was my first half I ever ran back in 2012 (2:01:50) and it currently holds my PB at this distance in 2013 (1:54:16). Not to mention this is a well-organized event and is fun to partake in.

My Goals:
1) Be at 5K within 27min – Check, though a little too fast at just under 26min.
2) Have completed 11K within an hour – Check, pretty much bang on!
3) Have 16K done within an hour 30min – Check, was about 1:28:xxK
4) Run a sub 2 – Missed, well just missed it by 1:25min
5) Finish with a smile on my face – Check, check & CHECK!

The Stats (condense version):
Gun: 2:01:58
Chip: 2:01:24
Garmin: 2:01:25
Overall: 1295/2084
Age: 104/130 *a more than competitive group this year than in the past.

The Details (full version):
I had a relatively good night’s sleep and woke up ready to go. I set my alarm the night before, but unfortunately it was set for Saturday morning. Thankfully I have a persistent cat that was hungry and woke me up, so I only slept in about 10min. I had my breakfast and got ready and headed out the door. What a beautiful morning. I went and grabbed a coffee and waited for my bus. The trip to the race was uneventful and I arrived about 45min before the race. I meet up with some of the RM gang and to my surprise, my co-worker K showed up. This surprised me as he’s nursing a nagging foot and gave no indication he had picked up a bib at the last minute.

With about 10min to spare, I worked my way to the start. I headed outside and offered my best wishes to Dylan Wykes as he was prepared for his race. I did my pre-race routine and eventually found jwolf in the pack, who also happened to be right by a participant in my run clinic. The national anthem was played and the next thing you know the gun went off and 33sec later I was crossing the line. I’ll admit I got caught in the emotion and buzz of the start; even with my conservative efforts to keep within a desired pace. I hit the 5k mark at about 26min and realized I was far too fast and needed to re-group. What better opportunity than to take a quick biffy break at the 5K station at English Bay. At this point Jwolf was still within my sights; though she passed me shortly after the 3K mark.

I entered Stanley Park and felt I was at a more conservative pace, so I though. More on this later. I happen to notice CMMH pass me at about 8K or so; as we approaching the entrance to the aquarium. Cheryl looked great and was determined. I knew that if I stuck with her it would be certain death for me, so I wished her luck and fell back. Coming into Brockton Point was spectacular; the combination of the mountains, fog and sun was stunning. Back to focusing on the race, I saw L from the Bonsor crew and wished her luck. At which point we hit the 10K mark and my Garmin shows something like 55min or so. I felt that was better and more within pace, my fear was my fast start my catch me. I hit 11k within an hour, which was one of my mental goals.

We hit the aid station at the half way point and I took a gel and water. We were entering the part of the race I’m not hugely fond of; the portion of Stanley Park from Lumberman’s Arch and 3rd Beach. I’ve always found this part slow and boring. This is likely due to the fact that this part of Stanley Park has no short cuts. Once you hit this area, you are committed and to this day continues to be a mental barrier for me. It went relatively fast for me and I felt great coming into the aid station at 3rd Beach. I hit 16K at about 1:28:xx and I felt good with that. I thought, I had 31min to finish the last 5K. It was at about 17-18K where the wheels started to fall off. I just finished my loop around Lost Lagoon and we hit the slight incline out of 2nd Beach. I was doing good going up, but it took a lot of steam out of me. I needed a quick recovery break. This was the first walk break aside from any of the aid stations.

We came back into English Bay and the final aid station. At this point I knew I had just over 2.5K left. However, my paced had slowed down greatly and my hope for a sub 2 was dwindling, ok I gave up on that. :) At 19k the Burrard Street Bridge was within sight and I knew the end was near! I spotted Jwolf, who was walking at this time, as I was coming into the aquatic centre. I checked to see that she was ok and pushed on. I had to walk up the slight incline up to Beach Ave and started to pick up the pace as I hit the 20K mark. I pushed up Granville St as we approached Pacific. Once I was on Pacific I knew the end was near and I had the luxury of a downhill finish. As I approached Homer St I could see & hear the finish. One final dig as I approached the finish chute, where I saw Rob & Cheryl and my buddy Joe from TnT. I saw the clock and I was hell bent and determined to cross the finish before the gun time hit 2:02:00; mission accomplished!

I stuck around in the finish chute to catch Jennifer come in. I felt for her, as I knew she was hurting and did not have the best of race. I caught up with Cheryl and my buddy Joe and then headed to the food. Like I said in my journal earlier, “I got what I put into this race and at the end of the day, I'm happy with the result.”. I was really lacking the speed training heading into this race and because of that I knew this was going to be a factor in the end. Lesson’s learned right? In the end I’m happy with the result and I managed to hit 4/5 of my pre-race goals. My pace was good once I reeled myself back in, but in the end I truly believe the lack of speed training did me in. It’s funny, on Friday at packet pick-up I had a conversation with Dylan Wykes and I said I was concerned for the lack of speed/hill training. We talked about its importance and role in a good training cycle and the only word of advice he gave me was go out and have fun and not dwell on your training shortfalls. And so that is what I did!

CMMH & I got this photo-op for Jo-Jo of Canadian Olympian and all around great guy Dylan Wykes.
Last edited by Stampie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Stampie's 2015 Edition of the First Half

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Stamp Man! Nice report.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Great report Bryan!

This race really does sound nice.

I liked Dylan's advice about putting aside your training shortfalls and having fun. Good to remember.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Great report Bryan!
It was good to spend some time with you on Sunday.
You done good!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Great report, Bryan.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Nicely done, Bryan ..

Quite the negative split, however, if you had ran the first 5k in 56 minutes ... Ha !!! :shock: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks everyone!

HCcD wrote:Nicely done, Bryan ..

Quite the negative split, however, if you had ran the first 5k in 56 minutes ... Ha !!! :shock: :shifty: :wink:

:lol: Too funny Andy, I totally missed that. :lol:

Yeah, that would have been one hell of a negative split for sure.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Sounds like a good race. Well done :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 pm

We had a very similar race but you seem to have had a much more positive experience. :)

Nice to see you out there on Sunday. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Jennifer posed a question to me via text earlier today, that I feel is a fair question and I wish to address it here. I hope she is ok with that. ;)
I didn't realize until I read your report that our paces throughout the race were so similar. Curious why your goal paced were to get slower as the race progressed? That wasn't my plan :) it just happened that way.
Going into this race I was of the mindset this was to be more of a training run and just have fun. Up until 16K I was pretty much on pace for my goals. My hope and desire was to finish at about a 5:35-5:40 average pace; which in turn give me a sub 2 finish. Leading into this race I knew I was lacking speed training and figured this it was going to catch-up to me. I was planning to have a buffer in the last 5K, knowing of the inclines I would have to deal with in the last 1200m of the race. Yes they are short inclines, but when you know the finish is near and are pushing for that last km, those hills are daunting. What I did not plan for was the steady incline out of 2nd beach. In the past I have not had issues with that part of the course. This year was the exception, it drained me.

I took water at each station, so I don’t believe hydration was a factor. However, I did have trouble taking electrolytes on course on Sunday. I took a gel just prior to the start and one at 10K. I had an extra one set for the next station around 14K or the final one at English Bay. I know I was going to have trouble stomaching it and stupidly did not consume it. I did not really fuel up properly the night before as well.

Really, I should have NEVER banked time, as the interest rates will kick me in the end. That is exactly what happened. If I just went out with an easier pace, closer to my goal I may have had a slightly more favourable result. I also realize that is not a guarantee as well. I reviewed my splits from my Garmin and I was rather steady. You can see my effort to try and recover in the last 5K, but unplanned walk breaks hindered me. Yes, this was not a great result! However, it was a positive learning experience and I’ll take the lessons learned and work to improve on my next half.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Great report, Stampie! I'm looking forward to see others from you in 2015.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Great report, Stampie!! :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:08 am

Great report and nice result! Congrats.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Congrats on your race. great race report. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”