CMMH's Capitol Day *pics added

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

CMMH's Capitol Day *pics added

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Short report - 18. Cheryl, BC 191 F 48 3:53:38 8:55 2 / 15 79 / 294 18 / 127 3:53:46 8:55 0:08 BMQ

Long report (and you've been warned- it's going to be long!)

The Capitol City Marathon in Olympia was intended to be my practice race for Victoria. Really and truly that was it's purpose. While I was more than open to giving it a PB effort I wasn't focused on that. My focus had been to train well and to go out and celebrate being back to running a marathon.

We drove to Olympia on Saturday and I was happy to see that the hotel's front door literally opened onto the start/finish line. Sweet!
We went for dinner and ended up eating later than I had hoped, about 7:30. Back to the hotel where I tried my best to get to sleep with three other people in the room who were not ready to go to bed. It was not the best night's sleep but that's life. I woke up at 5:00 am, ate breakfast and was out the door at 6:30 which gave me lots of time for a good warm up and stretch. I felt good, ready to go, excited to start.
My race strategy was to hold back on the front half, evaluate where I was and how I felt at halfway, and then decide whether to go for it or pull back and enjoy the ride. There were pace bunnies and I decided to head out with the 4 hour bunny and see how that felt. It felt fast. The bunny way very nice but she hit 5:20/k pace right off the bat and stuck to it. I overheard her say that she likes to bank time on the first half. uh-oh- the opposite of my plan. At about 3K I made the decision to slow up and let the four hour group go. That was difficult but I knew I couldn't stay at 5:20/k without risking blowing up in the second half. Off they went.
The first half of this race course is full of rolling hills, one after the other, on and on. I was handling them well but couldn't help thinking that they were zapping my legs.
I hit 10K at 58:xx, right on target. Half came at 1:58:20 and I was feeling really good. I had told myself that if I hit half at close to 2:00:00 I would go for the sub 4 and so I started to pick up the pace.
At 23K I caught up with the four hour bunny, they were slowing down and I was speeding up. I stuck with them for about 6k, it was nice to have some company and the bunny girl was very positive and encouraging. I was taking water at every aid station and squeezing sponges over my head- I hadn't ever done that in a race before and it felt GOOD.
gels were going in about every 45 to 50 mins and I was sipping at the electrolyte that I had in my fuel belt. At 29K I pulled ahead of the four hour group and I would not see them again. 30K and I'm at 2:48 or so, WOO HOO. I know there is a big downhill at the end where I'm going to pick up time and that if I can stay ahead of 5:50/K I'm going to nail this.
At 31K I look up the straightaway we were on and see dh and my boys :dance: :dance: I ran right to them and high fived and they were hollering and going crazy.
That was a huge boost. I saw them again at 32K (they were on the wrong side for another high five so I just gave them a wave and ran on by)
and then they drove past me at about 34K.
At this point I am feeling it- we are in a residential area now and there are lots of people at the end of their driveways shouting encouragement and cheering. I soak it up.
35-36K and we start heading up the last hill and it's brutal. really, they put this here at this point of the race? I'm mad but determined to keep a 5 at the front of my pace number on my Garmin. I'm so mad I find myself yelling out loud "son of a *****" but I refuse to let this hill get me. Finally it levels out, I know the downhill is coming, I look at my watch and realize that not only am I going sub 4 I can,if I crank it out, BQ this course. :shock:
It's go time. My legs are tired, so tired, my tummy has had enough- the last gel I took at about 34K is talking back to me. I tell everything to shut up and out loud I tell myself "go Cheryl, go, you've got this". On the inside of my left forearm I have written K.McD.'s RE (Karen McDaniel's ridiculous enthusiasm). I had promised my auntie that I would qualify for Boston again. 40K I'm looking at my arm and I know that I've got it. but by how much?
Finally the downhill, and it's quite the down!! My legs are turning over so fast that I'm worried about wiping out and face planting. We go past the Capitol building but I don't bother to look at it. I'm too busy looking for the finish line :lol: . about 750m out there is a guy wearing orange about 30m ahead of me. I hear a spectator yell out "move it buddy, don't let her chick you". ha ha! I pull up alongside him and he says 'there's nothing I can do about it man'. I pass him and the next runner is a young guy about 50m ahead. Finish line is close now. A spectator yells out to me "go get him". Game on. I look at my watch and see I'm running a 3:29/k, this is FUN. I pull up to young guy and pass him, the crowd is going nuts. Young guy is determined not to let an old lady beat him and he pulls up even with me. I have a huge smile on my face and hear the announcer say "look at the race we have here folks, who's going to win?". It took a photo finish (by dh)but the dude got me by a half step. I look up and see my boys straight ahead at the end of the finish chute and run to them and burst into tears.
3:53:38. 6 mins PB and BQ for my current age group. Who would have thunk it? BQ came 5 months early. Now I just have to wait and see if 1:22 mins gives me enough of a cushion to register for 2016. If not I am going to run a full next spring and qualify for 2017.

I feel pretty good today. I had a cold bath yesterday and again this afternoon. I walked for about 15 mins after finishing the race and went out again today for about 30 mins.
The only owie is an epic blood blister on my right big toe.

What a day! I am ridiculously happy :D

Last edited by chunkymonkeymelonhed on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: CMMH's Capitol Day

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 18, 2015 7:09 pm

I was smiling ridiculously the whole time I was reading your report. You know how much I love you and have cheered for you over the years. When I heard your time yesterday I was so,so, so thrilled for you.
You are a star! Enjoy your accomplishment.

Crossing fingers it's enough to get to Boston!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm

What an awesome race and report. :) I am so impressed.
So happy for you and inspired.

<3
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 18, 2015 8:03 pm

I cried reading your report...so awesome!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Awesome race, awesome report!!
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon May 18, 2015 9:53 pm

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:At about 3K I made the decision to slow up and let the four hour group go.

Right there is the moment you BQ'd.

What a great result for you after all your work. I'm going to take this on-board for Sydney. Congrats.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Are you sure this is a marathon report and not a 37.2k warmup with a 5k race at the end? Wow, what a race! Congratulations on the BQ!! I'm so very happy for you! I really hope you get in for 2016!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 am

awesome!!! it has been great watching your training this season, and so happy you got such a sweet reward at the end. congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:58 am

Wow, to find that gear at the end of a marathon is amazing. I have NEVER been able to do it! Goes to show you went out at the right pace and were spot on in letting the 4 hr bunny move on!

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone run just their second marathon so smartly.

Big congratulations! I'll be thinking of you during registration period! (Thank GOD I won't be thinking of me!). I'll let you have the anxiety/speculation etc this year!

PS: I am SO sure you have more in you, if not Boston this year - then for sure next year when you get even more time!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 am

I am so proud of you. When I read on Sunday that you BQ'd it brought tears to my eyes.
IMC 2015

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 19, 2015 9:08 am

Awesome, Cheryl .. Congrats, again ... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 am

p.s. You need to post the picture of that photo-finish. :) Too bad you didn't outkick him, but that sounds like fun. I also don't know how you have that extra kick at the end of the marathon. That (and the 3-minute negative split) not only is a sign of a well-paced race, but also shows you are not nearly done improving in marathons.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

Mark.AU wrote:
chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:At about 3K I made the decision to slow up and let the four hour group go.

What a great result for you after all your work. I'm going to take this on-board for Sydney. Congrats.

Agree with Mark.

Wow...I loved the detail in your report...I was almost yelling at my computer screen as I read it :lol: :lol:

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Jwolf wrote:p.s. You need to post the picture of that photo-finish. :) Too bad you didn't outkick him, but that sounds like fun.

It was so much fun!

Dh's photo finish series-

1. I'm after him

2. I 've got him.

3. The kid fights back (he's 22 years old, that's a kid)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Bwahhh! Awesome!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

RobW
Bill Crothers

Re: CMMH's Capitol Day *pics added

Postby RobW » Wed May 20, 2015 12:32 am

Great pics! You were flying out there! Love the blister.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 am

Awesome pictures!!
IMC 2015

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am

Mark.AU wrote:

^^^ This.

That is a great race report. I loved reading it. It got me all fired up, and now I want to go out for a run. :D
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am

Getting air near the finish, amazing!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 am

Congratulations, spectacular running and a great race report!! Way to go on the PB/BQ!

Great pics.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 20, 2015 9:41 am

That blister is tiny. :)

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Not much more I can say, then what I said in my text to you yesterday. I'm so happy for you! What a great report and an exceptional race on Sunday.

Mark.AU wrote:

I concur with Mark here; this was the moment where you attained your BQ. That was such a wise move that took a lot of discipline. It’s not easy to check your emotions in the heat of the moment and re-focus on the ‘master plan’.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu May 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Congratulations! Not only a fabulous race but a superb report and great photos! That is sooooo good. I hope that the time gets you into Boston in 2016!!!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Great race, Cheryl, and great report!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun May 24, 2015 9:45 am

Great race and great report. I so enjoyed reading this. Ridiculous Enthusiasm Rocks! :D
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Return to “Run/Race Reports”