December Beast Challenge

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

December Beast Challenge

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:48 pm

As I mentioned in the daily thread, some people in my running club are doing a december challenge. Thought I'd bring it over here and see if anyone else wants to join.

Very simple: run 30 minutes every day in December.

Any takers? :)

Here's the tracking sheet--everyone is responsible for updating their own activity: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: December Beast Challenge

Postby La » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:20 pm

I can commit to doing something active for 30 minutes each day in December, but not 100% running. I don't have a strong enough base for that right now, and too many other demands on my time to add 30 minutes on top of what I'm already doing.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:07 pm

I get sucked into challenges far too easily.

I'm in.
December 1: 60 minute run
Dec 2: 33 minute run, weights
Last edited by Habs4ever on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

December Beast Challenge

Postby Jwolf » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm doing something similar with another group except we made our own personal challenge. Since I'm not running continuously or every day yet. my challenge is 45 minutes of run/walk or bike every day (or some combination of both).

Today was 32 min 3-and-1 run/walk plus walking before and after to make 45 minutes. 8)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Count me in, too. I could use some external motivation to get me out in the chilly early mornings! I did 5 miles this morning - around 43 minutes.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Me me! I am in for at least 30 mins of movement a day.
Dec. 1st: 30 min treadmill run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Other activities are fine as long as it's a challenge and not stuff you automatically do every day. (Like for me, I don't count walking the dog as an activity because I do it every day no matter what and it's not a challenge).

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

For me, the challenge will be figuring out a way to be active on Thursdays, which is traditionally my rest day due to my schedule. And it will also keep me motivated to stick to my workout schedule, especially once I'm off work from the Dec 24 to Jan 3.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 pm

I wanna play too ... :)

In the final weeks of Goofy Challenge training, so already on my consideration, as I am already in an 18 day mini run streak, as it stands ... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 pm

So far we have:

ultraslacker
La
Habs
Jwolf
alexk
IronGoddess
HCcd

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:47 am

La, what about yoga on Thursdays. I think that is what my plan will be for Mondays
IMC 2015

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 am

IronGoddess wrote:La, what about yoga on Thursdays. I think that is what my plan will be for Mondays

Yeah, I could do that. It's been a while since I've done yoga. I'll have to check the schedule of the studio near my WW meeting. I go to work at WW right after my day job, so I can't do anything (other than walk or bike 1.6K to my meeting) from 4-7PM on Thursdays. Last year I was going to yoga after WW as they had a good class at 7:15 and it was only a block away from my meeting.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:53 am

I'm in for 30 minutes of activity! I do run almost every day anyway, so I don't really need a challenge for that, but it will be good to have an extra motivation to make sure I get something in even over the holidays and while travelling this month.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:18 am

cool.

I think I'll start a google doc to track, and then everyone can update their own.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 am

this should work--let me know if it doesn't: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

feel free to add activities in the list.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:38 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I'm in for 30 minutes of activity! I do run almost every day anyway, so I don't really need a challenge for that, but it will be good to have an extra motivation to make sure I get something in even over the holidays and while travelling this month.

+1

I know I won't get a run in every day but I think 30 minutes of activity is do-able. Hopefully this will help when I'm vacation before/over the holidays when I don't have the structure of my workday lunchtime workouts to rely on.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm

ultraslacker wrote:this should work--let me know if it doesn't: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I don't know how to edit. I can see it though. I'm on an iPad if that makes a difference.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:this should work--let me know if it doesn't: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I don't know how to edit. I can see it though. I'm on an iPad if that makes a difference.

Same here - I use Google Docs & Google Slides all the time but can't figure this out. I already messed up the challenge a bit. I was tight for time today so I ran a brisk 5km. I'll have to add my missing time to tomorrow's run. But I did run & I didn't really want to - happy for the challenge motivation :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:21 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Other activities are fine as long as it's a challenge and not stuff you automatically do every day. (Like for me, I don't count walking the dog as an activity because I do it every day no matter what and it's not a challenge).

So if I teach a spin class every Friday I would have to do something above and beyond that?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:23 pm

IronColl wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:Other activities are fine as long as it's a challenge and not stuff you automatically do every day. (Like for me, I don't count walking the dog as an activity because I do it every day no matter what and it's not a challenge).

So if I teach a spin class every Friday I would have to do something above and beyond that?

I'm just using my running even though it is something I do every day.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 pm

IronColl wrote:

I think she means if you are already doing something in your regular daily activity vs. a workout.

It would be too much to expect to add 30 minutes a day every day extra beyond the regular workouts we already do.

For me the biggest challenge is days like today when I'm lazy and feel like since I'm not really running a lot, I might as well just take a rest day. So time to get out there... :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:57 pm

I meant everyday activity, like Jen said.

It needs to be a challenge, right? Walking the dog isn't a challenge. Doing 30+ minutes of run/bike/swim/yoga every day is a challenge.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:58 pm

alexk wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

Same here - I use Google Docs & Google Slides all the time but can't figure this out. I already messed up the challenge a bit. I was tight for time today so I ran a brisk 5km. I'll have to add my missing time to tomorrow's run. But I did run & I didn't really want to - happy for the challenge motivation :).

You can't just enter in the boxes? I set the permissions that anyone can edit. :/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:21 pm

Today done!
45 minutes on my trainer.
I'm happy that I can do some intensity too. I will go to the Google doc when I get back upstairs, but I will also keep a running total here.

Dec 1: 45 min of run walk (including 32 min of 3 min run/1 min walk)
Dec 2: 45 min bike trainer

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Can you add me to the list?

ETA - I managed to add myself to the Google document :)

Return to “Training ”