A1A A difficult journey indeed!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

A1A A difficult journey indeed!

Postby Ken B » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm

This was supposed to be the marathon that provided me with a qualifying time for the 2017 Boston Marathon. Instead it supplied me with a number of issues to consider. This was the third marathon in a row with times in the 4:40's. Obviously that is much slower than my times of the last few years. The first two had legitimate reasons the those times. This event - no so. It was windy with a long section of the course where we were running directly into the wind. However, that wasn't a real problem. The failure of both my quads was the major issue. A painful left hip flexor didn't help. In addition, I had difficulty maintaining a quick pace right from the start. My chip time was 4:42:36. This was good enough for third ( out of six ) in my age group but certainly below my expectations.
Complicating the situation are two issues involving my feet. The first one is that the sensory nerves in my feet do not work. The motor nerves are fine but I have no sensation of pain in my feet. This means that I have to watch for blisters and/or other skin problems very carefully. Then, a few weeks ago, my left foot came up with two situations which must be related. The first is the large toe now projects out from the rest of the toes at an angle, leaving a considerable gap. It doesn't bother me running or walking but it is weird. The other thing with the left foot is swelling from that same large toe back up the top of my foot. This comes and goes every few days. I ice the foot and the swelling abates and then a few days later the swelling reappears. It isn't painful but that likely is because of the faulty sensory nerves. I suppose I should see a doctor about this.
Just as an added concern, after the A1A Marathon, the toe next to my little toe on that same left foot was a deep purple colour with the purple extending a few inches up the instep like a large purple stain. It disappeared over the next couple of days.

As a result of this sad tale!! :D! . I am planning on refraining from running any more marathons this year after Boston and ENDURrun. I am not planning on giving up marathons altogether but will ease up on the numbers and also not try to always get a fast time. I have registered in a full calendar of races of shorted distances this year and will focus on them in addition to my two larger challenges.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Re: A1A A difficult journey indeed!

Postby Nicholas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Wow....that's quite a tale of injuries and malfunctioning body parts, Ken. Sounds like it is time for an intervention by your medical team to figure out what is going on. It's a real credit to your focus and pain threshold to finish at all, let alone place in your AG. Good luck with your follow-up action plan!!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks for the report Ken and take care.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:03 am

That's too bad. :( Hope you get those feet issues sorted out in time for Boston.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:20 am

Oh goodness, Ken. So sad that you really aren't invincible. Sure hope your issues are sorted out quickly.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for the report, Ken. Those foot issues sound potentially serious. :(
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 am

Sorry you had some trouble Ken but your plan sounds like a good one. Weird about the toes, hopefully you can get some answers. I guess not feeling the pain doesn't help either. Good luck, keep us posted on what you find out.

Still a great time/AG placement all the same, congrats on your marathon.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”