Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:13 am

Rockstar, congratulations on the new addition and all the running you have been doing!!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Check in? How are you doing? Your family? Your running?

I'm doing pretty good. Trying to figure out what my balance is between running, family, housework, friends etc. It's a bit of a struggle, but I'm managing. Part of the difficulty is that DH works varied shifts, with no consistency of work hours. He works retail, with the store's retail hours 5am to 11pm Monday through Friday, and 7am to 11pm on the weekends (I think they close at 9 on Sundays maybe? I don't even know). One consistent thing about his schedule is that he always works weekends! As a family we are doing really well. Baby*Smiles is babbling SO MUCH lately, and I think he's just about figured out that "dada" is Dad. He says it so clearly, but not usually intended for his dad :lol: He's pulling himself up on me wonderfully, but hasn't figured out he can pull to stand in the crib. I'm ok with that ;) I feel as though he has become much stronger in the past few weeks. He's 15 months old and our goal is to have him "cruising" around (walking while holding on to someone/furniture) by the time he is 18 months. The reason for that exact goal is that he moves from the infant room at daycare, to the toddler room. In the infant room other kids are crawling around and learning to stand and walk, but in the toddler room the kids have the hang of it. I want him to be able to join in on as many activities as possible. Running is going pretty good.I'd like to be more consistent about it, which I am when I plan ahead based on DH's schedule. I can really feel myself getting stronger with each run, and I love that!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38 am

The changing schedule is tricky! Can you plan out three runs you want to get in every week, and then week by week figure out what day they will be on? One of my good friends has a hubby who is a paramedic and she finds it very hard to work around his changing shifts.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks for the update, Smiles. Will your daycare do the transition from infant to toddler based on Babysmiles' progress? A is still in the infant room at 19 months and will be moving over by August/September. It seems like a much longer transition based on the individual kids' progress which is great. She's the 3rd youngest among a lot of August/September babies (she'll be 2 in Nov). I actually don't mind the delay since the ratio of caregiver:baby is better. :) That's awesome about your consistent running. With your DH's schedule it must take lots of planning ahead! I have no doubt that you'll figure it all out though. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Army Run this fall.

I'm doing well. I've been side-lined this past week with travel and a bad cold but running is feeling good. I'm incorporating more speed/moderate paced runs into my schedule. My 1/2m schedule starts in a couple of weeks and I'm doing the Hintonburg 5K on July 12. I plan on pushing A in the stroller since it's a family friendly event. Life is good. I feel like my head is back in the game on the running front.

A is doing great. She's running everywhere and is a pretty busy kid. She starts swimming lessons again on Sunday and we have enrolled her in Starr Gymnastics for the fall. I think that she will love gymnastics. Daycare is fantastic and she doesn't ever want to come home. She has started talking a lot, can recognize many different animals (and can say their sounds) and actually understands us. It feels great to be able to communicate with her!
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:02 pm

carm wrote:Thanks for the update, Smiles. Will your daycare do the transition from infant to toddler based on Babysmiles' progress? A is still in the infant room at 19 months and will be moving over by August/September. It seems like a much longer transition based on the individual kids' progress which is great. She's the 3rd youngest among a lot of August/September babies (she'll be 2 in Nov). I actually don't mind the delay since the ratio of caregiver:baby is better. :) That's awesome about your consistent running. With your DH's schedule it must take lots of planning ahead! I have no doubt that you'll figure it all out though. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Army Run this fall.

I'm doing well. I've been side-lined this past week with travel and a bad cold but running is feeling good. I'm incorporating more speed/moderate paced runs into my schedule. My 1/2m schedule starts in a couple of weeks and I'm doing the Hintonburg 5K on July 12. I plan on pushing A in the stroller since it's a family friendly event. Life is good. I feel like my head is back in the game on the running front.

A is doing great. She's running everywhere and is a pretty busy kid. She starts swimming lessons again on Sunday and we have enrolled her in Starr Gymnastics for the fall. I think that she will love gymnastics. Daycare is fantastic and she doesn't ever want to come home. She has started talking a lot, can recognize many different animals (and can say their sounds) and actually understands us. It feels great to be able to communicate with her!

We love Starr gymnastics? what day and location - maybe we'll see you there!

Glad to hear the running is going well - we will be at the Hintonburg 5K too!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:33 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:We love Starr gymnastics? what day and location - maybe we'll see you there!

Tiny Twinklers (18-24 mo) Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. @ Lancaster. I believe that the younger group is around the same time so maybe there will be some overlap?
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:14 pm

carm wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:We love Starr gymnastics? what day and location - maybe we'll see you there!

Tiny Twinklers (18-24 mo) Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. @ Lancaster. I believe that the younger group is around the same time so maybe there will be some overlap?

I thought Tiny Twinklers was the 12-17 months? That's what we're doing, I think, but likely on Sundays. Just waiting for DH's rugby schedule to be sorted out - C is moving on up to Super Starrs so we need to find a time where they line up.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 am

Carm thank you for telling me about holding A back from the toddler room. I mentioned it to the director & she said she won't fill Baby*Smiles' spot for now & we will revisit the idea of keeping him back in August :)

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:12 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I thought Tiny Twinklers was the 12-17 months? That's what we're doing, I think, but likely on Sundays. Just waiting for DH's rugby schedule to be sorted out - C is moving on up to Super Starrs so we need to find a time where they line up.

Correct! In the fall they have a new class for 1.5-2 years called Rockin' Rockets (my typo above). Many parents didn't like Mini Moons (1.5-3 years) since it seemed advanced for a lot of the younger children so Starr created a new class to bridge the gap. That's the intel from a friend who has her daughter in Tiny Twinklers right now.
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Carm thank you for telling me about holding A back from the toddler room. I mentioned it to the director & she said she won't fill Baby*Smiles' spot for now & we will revisit the idea of keeping him back in August :)

That's great! Hopefully the transition this summer/fall will go well! Can your centre allow B the opportunity to integrate slowly, i.e. spend shorter periods with the toddler program and the teachers as the transition approaches? Our centre has been doing that for play-time for several months and A is already very comfortable in the toddler room with the 3 educators since she knows them. I like that they do that. We plan on switching preschools next spring/summer to one around the corner from our house (same daycare agency) and hope to do something similar when the time comes to do the integration.
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51 am

carm wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:I thought Tiny Twinklers was the 12-17 months? That's what we're doing, I think, but likely on Sundays. Just waiting for DH's rugby schedule to be sorted out - C is moving on up to Super Starrs so we need to find a time where they line up.

Correct! In the fall they have a new class for 1.5-2 years called Rockin' Rockets (my typo above). Many parents didn't like Mini Moons (1.5-3 years) since it seemed advanced for a lot of the younger children so Starr created a new class to bridge the gap. That's the intel from a friend who has her daughter in Tiny Twinklers right now.

oh awesome! yeah, there is such a huge difference between an 18 month old and a three year old in terms of ability and attention! We didn't start at Starr until C was in the unparented classes, but the Mini Moons always look super cute when we see them.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Check in? How are you doing? Your family? Your running?

I am ok, still exhausted all the time and putting off calling the doctor about it. I have good days and bad days. I took some time off running - just too tired and unmotivated, but I did go for a brief run last night. I did loops in my neighbourhood and incorporated a set of stairs. I figure even if I am not running quickly, the stairs will help build fitness. I did the set of 77 stairs 3 times, then another set of 42 stairs. This may end up being my go-to workout for awhile, since I can ditch out if I get too tired. I'm never more than 1 km from home.

My family is pretty awesome. John just finished Kindergarten, and it blows me away that he will be in Grade 1 in the fall. He's gotten super tall! He is registered for Beavers again in the fall, and he gets to pick another activity - right now his choices are a martial art, hip hop or swimming. I am going to get him to pick when the fall rec guide comes out. Damon is registered in 2 preschools - full day Tuesday and Thursday at John's school, and a half day Weds/Fri at a preschool that works with gifted kids. Damon is 4 and already reading at a very advanced level (he can take a Robert Munsch book and read the whole thing. Last night he read Smelly Socks), and he is doing math. I want to have him tested to see if he actually is gifted, and this preschool does that. Then I can take the test results to the school when he starts Kindergarten and hopefully get him into some sort of program so that he is not bored at school. Morgan is very much two (her favourite word is "NO!" and her favourite phrase is "Mo-gen do it!"), and she talks up a storm. Her current favourite colour is yellow, and she is a total girly girl. Dan is not super happy with his job, and is talking about looking elsewhere. My job is boring, but it's money and a day out of the house.

I am glad to read everyone else's updates! I miss this thread being active with all the moms.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 am

It sounds like things are going well, Fishpants. Thanks for the update. Please make some time for yourself and get to a doc to get checked out. :) Your workout sounds perfect. I, too, find it hard to fit in. I'm running significantly slower than I was pre-baby but I'm ok with that and am seeing gradual improvements to my fitness. You'll get there too.
Carm

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Hello ladies! Been a while, but I plan on getting re-engaged in running wonderfulness in the New Year.

What's new?
Next?
:)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi ladies! Rockstar, great to hear from you! Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and happy holidays in general to everyone. We had an excellent Christmas- N figured out what Santa was all about and was so adorably thrilled. Running wise I had a good start to 2015 with a decent 10K and a 5K pb, but crappy half marathon luck with a torn calf during my spring half and a terribly timed cold which screwed up my fall half. Hopefully I can get things going in 2016 for a good half or two, and I'd love another couple of pb's at other distances as well, but we'll see. The nice thing about being a (newish) hot running momma is that honestly and truly, I don't care anywhere near as much about running as I used to, and the reason that's nice is that I used to put way too much pressure on myself and really internalize results with which I wasn't proud. I still run as much as I can and train as hard as I can while still putting my family first, but it's much more relaxed! And hey, if that means the pb's come a bit slower these days... oh well, I guess it's a fair tradeoff!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:43 pm

I think I have a lot of running in my future... toddler*smiles took his first steps :D

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Yippee Bobby!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:45 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:I think I have a lot of running in my future... toddler*smiles took his first steps :D

So happy! Go B
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:47 pm

That post made my day. Congrats, little man! He's ready for a new pair of running shoes! :dance:

As for me, life's good. A is a chatter box and is developing quite the attitude for a 2 year old. No terrible 2s over here but she's quickly becoming smarter than us. We're in trouble!

I'm back into running and have re-joined the K2J group for their 10k clinic. I'll run with them consistently this year as it gets me out and keeps me accountable. I'm doing the Mercedes-Benz 10k with my sister in late April and was thinking about the Barrhaven Run for Roger's House 10k in early June. My sis isn't running much so I think that they will be B and A efforts, respectively. I've also been swimming like usual and doing some classic skiing this winter despite the weird weather conditions.
Carm

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 pm

I was so happy to read this Smiles! Go B! Things are fantastic here- N is very much a two year old, but in a good way. He is hilarious, happy and smart, and makes our day every day. Running is a bit frustrating at the moment after a minor injury has sidelined me for almost two weeks, after a three week layoff due to a cold (basically I did too much after coming back... You'd think I'd know better but it was so nice out!). Oh well, it'll come. I'm hoping to do the GoodLife half but I may do the Whitby one instead which is three weeks later. Ideally, I'd do both. I've made a couple of new running friends which is always fun, two at the gym who ware way faster than I am (thankfully we're on the treadmills) and one locally. Life is good basically, and we're thankful for every day. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Glad to see everyone checking in!

I'm marathon training for the first time as a working mother - I've done two post kids, but both times were while on mat leave, so I had lots of flexibility. It is requiring a lot of juggling during the week to fit it all in, but I love my three hour run break on Saturday mornings!

Kids are good - C is signed up for her first tri this summer!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Awesome! I am in awe of you Scrummy!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:30 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Glad to see everyone checking in!

I'm marathon training for the first time as a working mother - I've done two post kids, but both times were while on mat leave, so I had lots of flexibility. It is requiring a lot of juggling during the week to fit it all in, but I love my three hour run break on Saturday mornings!

Kids are good - C is signed up for her first tri this summer!

...and a new job! You are so inspiring!

Which tri is C doing?
Carm

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 am

Now that I am a momma, I thought I'd post in this thread! No running for me for a few months at least as I get back on my feet after having my little girl last week. But I look forward to getting back at it eventually, first getting back into walks after a while, then running. I'm in no huge hurry but had a dream last night about being in a race and someone telling me that I'd be much faster after having a baby. Lol
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Congratulations RA! I hope that you're enjoying the newborn snuggles. Time flies so fast so enjoy every moment!
Carm

Return to “The Scenic Route”