Mega Moisture Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Mega Moisture Marathon

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Short version.
It rained, I ran, I finished, I ate pie!

11th marathon
4:06:01
OA: 64/157
Women: 19/70
AG: 2/9

Long version:

Injury: April 2015 I ran a 10k race and pulled a hamstring. This was 3 weeks before Red Deer Marathon. I pretty much limped my way around the course with Rob pulling me along. It hurt and I promised myself I would do everything in my power to not get injured. To do that I realized I needed to incorporate a good strength and stretching program. Once my hamstring injury healed up enough, Colleen set up a basic strength routine for me. I have followed it fairly consistently since about the middle of October, and feel it has made me stronger all around.

Training:
I decided that I needed a different approach to training than what I had been doing for the last few years. I love running lots of miles, so I didn't need to change that part of it, but I needed to change the way I ran those miles. In the past I had always struggled with tempo runs for whatever reason. I actually dreaded doing them and I thought to myself that if I don't like doing them, I'm not going to do them. This is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun, tempo runs aren't fun. Instead I did 3 basic runs/week, then the other days I just ran. Long slow run, race pace run and either progression or a steady state faster run. This seemed to work for me, I felt stronger than I ever had in the month leading up to the race. I decided about the middle of April that I had a good shot at 4 hours again.
A week before the race Ian contacted me and said that if his running near or with me would be helpful then he was willing to do it. Of course I said yes!

The Wednesday before the race I woke up and my right knee felt off. I didn't think much of it and got ready for my last "don't do anything stupid, just enjoy a small run" run. I started out and the knee sort of bothered me, but I thought I was just being paranoid, by 4K I knew something was up. I ran/walked/limped my way back to the Y. I was freaking out and having a meltdown. This just can't be for real!! I got in to see Sue (Physio) that afternoon and the next day. She couldn't believe it, I had done everything right to prevent this very thing from happening. We did two aggressive treatments and then she used some k-tape to give me support. I had somehow tweaked (her word) my soleus right at the insertion point at my knee. She felt I would be fine, I was having doubts. Rest, ice, IB, Epsom salt bath, repeat over and over for 3 days.

Saturday:
I drove up to Red Deer, picked up race packages, met Colleen at the hotel, had Boston Pizza and relaxed for the evening.

Sunday:
We woke up and it was pouring rain, there were puddles everywhere, the temperature was 3C, and windy. They were also calling for snow! Yikes.
We met Ian and Brendan (defending champ) at the race site, handed off bibs and got ready to go. By this time I was already wet. I hadn't run a step since Wednesday morning and didn't even know if I could. I knew what pace I wanted to go out at and Ian said he would stay somewhere behind me and keep me in sight. My knee hurt right from the get go, but Physio Sue advised me to give it a bit of time to warm up (ha, that was impossible with rain and 3C) before making the decision to stop or keep going. Ian fell in step with me almost right away and the first kilometer was there before I knew it. 5:35, perfect, I hadn't gone out too fast. By about 4km I felt that the knee would be fine and I could keep going. By this time my feet were soaked, you just couldn't help but go through the puddles, or if you tried to go around, the grass was so saturated it was a puddle anyway, you just couldn't see it. We were all drenched from the rain, nothing could be done about that. Just put your head down and run. The first part went by quickly and before I knew it the half-marathon people were splitting off right and we were going left. A few minutes after that we were going over the timing mat for half way, although the mat is not really at the half way mark, it's a bit before. I think we came through 21.1km about 1:57:30, which was right where I wanted to be.
By this time, I wasn't cold, I was absolutely freezing. My left hand wouldn't work properly and I had a really hard time getting gels out of my pockets and opened. Ian to the rescue!
It started getting tough physically and mentally when we turned through an area that is a softer surface trail. It was just like one giant mud puddle, that was a bit demoralizing trying to make the split second decisions in where to place your feet. Straight through the puddle or through the mud on the side, those were the two choices. Coming out of that area we passed the 32km marker and I glanced at my Garmin, it said 3:02. OK 58 minutes to do 10.2km, I can do it. I wanted to take a gel at that point, but I just couldn't get my hands coordinated enough to get it from my pocket. Ian gave me one he had, but neither of us could get it open, he finally ripped it open with his teeth for me.
My brain kept telling my legs to get moving faster, but I was so cold they just couldn't do it. I kept moving, just not fast enough. We got to about 41km and I asked Ian what it means if I can't feel my left arm and left hand? Does this mean I'm having a heart attack? I can't remember his answer but obviously he wasn't too worried about me since he didn't tell me to stop. We came to the last big hill before the 750m downhill to the finish. I really wanted to run it, but I couldn't, my legs didn't do what my brain said. I started running once we crested the hill, and was never so happy to see the finish line and a shiny silver blanket! My left hand and arm couldn't even hold it on, they wouldn't work. I think a volunteer had to tie it around me, I can't remember. Colleen pointed me in the direction of the food tent. Ah, hot coffee! That hit the spot.
A huge shout out to Colleen for popping up randomly along the course and being a cheerleader and photographer, you are the best!
Thank you Ian for running with me, keeping me entertained and my mind off how horrible the weather was. Although I'm a bit mad at you, I was hoping I could say I beat you in a marathon, but they have you listed ahead of me by .46 of a second!
We met up with Brendan, the winner for the 6th time, and ate pie and apple crisp while waiting for the awards ceremony. Pie is the perfect way to end a marathon.

If I forgot any important detail, Colleen or Ian can fill it in.

After thoughts:
I don't mind rain, I don't mind cold, I'm slowly getting used to wind, but I don't like the three of them mixed together. I can honestly say I don't remember being that cold that I couldn't feel my arm and hand.
I know it wasn't my fastest marathon, but I felt it really was the best. Had it been better conditions could I have gone under 4:00? Maybe, I don't know....
I was very happy that I only walked through water stations or when I was struggling with trying to get gels out of my pockets, and of course that last hill. Other than those times, I didn't feel the need to walk, this is huge for me. I need to work on drinking on the run.
I'm already thinking of next year. I will conquer Red Deer! Who wants to join me? There will be pie!!

After, after thoughts:
Thanks to all who wished me well, texted and cheered me on. I appreciate the support very much.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Mega Moisture Marathon

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Doing your best is what counts. 4:00 is just a number.
Wow, sounds so cold! And wet!
Good job!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I think that you ran a fantastic race, Everything from the knee, the rotten weather, the puddles and the arm and hand issue. Wow! You soldiered through when most of us would have stopped and just rolled into a ball and cry like a baby. Congratulations on a superb effort. Hmm. Maybe not next year but a trip to Red Deer , Alberta would make a neat running vacation some time in the future.

Congrats again for persevering! :)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Well done! Those conditions sound eerily like the ones I ran here in Toronto a few weeks ago. Not particularly fun.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm

But did you heckle Brendan on his way back like you did last year? ;)

Well done in tough conditions. Skagit, baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 23, 2016 6:50 pm

RobW wrote:But did you heckle Brendan on his way back like you did last year? ;)

Well done in tough conditions. Skagit, baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes SKAGIT, baby :dance: :dance: :dance: :shifty:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Wow, what a craptastoc weather day. I applaud you for dealing with that and still coming in with a great time.
Congratulations my friend.
And yes, a little trip out this way in September?.......
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Mon May 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Well done! You are a star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon May 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I know it wasn't my fastest marathon, but I felt it really was the best.

BOOM! :dance: :dance: :dance:

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon May 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Wow :shock: that was some weather. And you still managed a 4:06. Outstanding! !
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 am

Good job on the race, Sue. Those sound like terrible conditions. I'm glad you got some hot coffee at the end, and had a great race!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 24, 2016 6:57 am

I totally agree...rain is one thing but when you throw in cold/wind it becomes very difficult to race in. Congrats on getting it done and a great time all the same (Nice AG placement too :) )

Seems to be the year of the rain/wind so far...

Rest up and enjoy the recovery and yeah for pie!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 24, 2016 10:28 am

Hard Core! \M/

Way to tough it out on a crappy day. And thank goodness for Sherpa Ian and SuperFan Colleen. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue May 24, 2016 10:59 am

Wow. I was passing through on Sunday and taking note of the terrible weather, I had no idea you guys were racing. Great race in truly awful conditions.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 24, 2016 11:46 am

Congratulations on another marathon under your belt, Susan ... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue May 24, 2016 12:49 pm

You are hard-core!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 pm

you are one tough cookie! so proud of you!

(also, apple crisp and pie after a race? amazing!)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm

That's pretty epic, you're a tough lady and strong marathoner. Congrats on another successful race under your belt.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone!

I know I probably whined a few times and said I hated a certain part of the course, but overall I really did enjoy myself. I'm already thinking of next time, so I guess it wasn't too terrible.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Way to tough it out. :) Sounds like you ran the best possible race under less-than-ideal conditions.

You'll get "your day" sometime when the time is right. But in the meantime, every marathon is a step along the way. Glad you are enjoying the journey.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue May 24, 2016 9:31 pm

It's hard to begrudge what one farmer (probably correctly) called "a billion dollar rain". Even with the cold, wind, and rain, I think Sue would have run 3:58 on a road course. The puddles (lakes?) and mud made much of that course feel like a greasy trail ultra. Next time, I'll have to brush up on my Mötley Crüe (whö knëw?).

Return to “Run/Race Reports”