CTRR - leg 4 (at least it's not leg 9!)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

CTRR - leg 4 (at least it's not leg 9!)

Postby Irongirl » Tue May 30, 2006 2:33 pm

I will try to stick to my race report, and not an event report.....

When I joined the team, my only stipulation was that I had a hard leg. Since I normally run the marathon on this weekend, my thought was, if I'm missing the marathon, I better do something tough. So, I looked at the descriptions of the legs and chose leg 4, rated a 5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale, with the following description:

The first 9 km are continuous easy ups & downs but the best is yet to come. You must now climb Cape Smokey which is 2.1 km of extremely steep grade. For distraction there is a wonderful ocean view and you may even spot a whale! Relax for the steep downhill on the way to the finish. A couple more hills will take you to the finish at Cape Smokey Ski Lodge on the left.

The elevation profile for the whole event looks like this:

(notice the directly vertical "thing" in leg 4)

And, finally, Nick's description of leg 4 is:

Leg 4 is Smokey and can be a killer if it is hot (it's run at noon) or if there is a 30mph headwind (the year I ran it)

Looks good to me, I thought! :)

The look on anyone's face (that has done CTRR) whenever I said that I was doing leg 4 was similar to this: :shock: - then, ALWAYS follwed by "at least it's not leg 9!!" (Poor James who was usually standing beside me.....and was doing leg 9!)

Anyway...the race.

I started at 11:49 am - it was raining at the beginning of Brendan's leg (leg 3), and, I was still trying to decide what to wear for my leg - tights, shorts, long sleeves, short sleeves????? I actually said "well, Brendan wore a jacket, maybe I should?"! tee hee...then we saw him stripping his clothes off!! So, shorts and a t-shirt it was!!

I lined up and was really really really nervous. I knew there was this BIG HILL at the 9 km mark...but, really, how big could it be? I had NO IDEA what to expect!! I decided to run it doing 10/1's and hoped for a 6 min/km pace. I was holding about a 5:45 pace for the first 9 km! I felt great!! I was happy, and even joking with some of the locals that were cheering......to one couple I said "umm....I heard there was a hill up ahead....is it big?" ;) They looked at me like I was serious and that I had no idea!!

Anyway, I was near the back of the pack - third from the end until about 4 km, when I was passed by someone from the Gnome team, so, I was 2nd last...which was okay with me (I was secretly hoping to not be last!!) The support vehicle was great....I had requested that they stop every km to make sure I was doing okay and just for the general support - it's lonely out there!!! They played my song (Eye of the Tiger) the first couple of times that they stopped - until I got sick of it.....so, I got them to change it up....whenever I met up with them, James would run along side me for a bit, which was a nice distraction!! I gave him my sunglasses early on in the leg, since it was still misty out....

So....garmin then says 8 km, and I'm thinking...okay, I feel good...the hill is coming up soon, I'll be just fine......I can do this. The sun was starting to come out and it was a nice day out!!

I see Brendan and Dennis and Jo-Jo stopped up ahead to cheer me on - with the camcorder out! I come up to them smiling, turn the corner and see THE BIGGEST, MOST STEEPEST, WINDIEST HILL I have ever seen!!!!! Holy carp!!!!!! (They got my reaction on tape!) I think I threw my head in my hands, pointed at it, gasped, then, decided to not look at it again. (The hill is called Cape Smokey)

This is EXACTLY what I saw (minus the runners - I was alone!)

I'm going to steal some pics from Trish here.....

I was down on the road (far right of the picture) and could see runners and cars up on the road in the left of this picture....

Hopefully that gives you a bit of a sense of my reaction......

I still had a km to go to get to the bottom of the hill. . The suport vehicle drove by, asked me if I needed anything else before the top of the hill (they weren't allowed to stop going up the hill.) I said I would be okay (well, I asked for my iPod - but, it wasn't in a spot where they could find it! - my fault!) Then....they drove off. I was alone until the top, just me and Smokey. That kilometer involved a lot of self positive talk - "I can do this. I will walk/run up that hill. I am strong. It's only 2.1 km, then, it's downhill." I got to the bottom of the hill where there was a water station - I had yet to look at the hill again....even at the water station, I kept my head down. I asked the water station team if there really was a hill in front of me....they laughed.

I started running up the hill....holy carp. I think I could have reached forward and touched the road in front of me. I looked at my garmin and saw my pace dropping FAST to about a 9:00/km and I was exhausted. I had gone maybe 100 m. :shock: Okay. Must reavluate my secret goal of wanting to run up the whole thing!!!! I decided to walk - but walk fast. I managed to maintain a 9:30/km walk.....a flew by two guys that were walking.....they told me to join their party - I told them I had a mountain to conquer! I decided to do 5/1's (5 minute walk, 1 minute run) - I could maintain about a 7:30/km pace for that 1 minute.....before I started almost dry heaving. It took almost 2 minutes of trying to slow my breathing down after each minute of running before I could drink again.

Looking at garmin, I knew when I was halfway to halfway...then, halfway...then, halfway done since halfway (I like halfway stuff!)...at about the 3/4 mark, I started hearing this amazing banging noise coming off the guardrail. The hula girl team had some people sitting at the top, on the guardrail, banging on it with rocks....the echo came all the way down the mountain - it was really cool!!! (and a great distraction.) Seeing whales would also have been a great distraction - so, I looked for them - turns out that it's too early in the season for whales :evil: (why put it in the description then?!!!)

It was getting really hot out, I was squinting since the sun was out, and my arms were getting burnt. I looked up and saw James running down the mountain towards me!! I was really close to the top!!!! He was wearing my sunglasses...which was great - I took those right away. We walked/ran the rest of the way up together (probably only 200 m left!!!) I made it to the top to the "Chicks running Clicks" water station.

Oh glorious chicken!!!

Then it dawned on me. I had did it. I SMOKED SMOKEY!!!!

I looked back, and the two guys that I passed were way back there. Although I had walked.....I was pretty quick (relatively) up that mountain (about 18 minutes for 2.1 km!) ;)

The hill crested and I started my descent......wow, that was fun!!! I was flying!! My legs weren't dead! (I was worried that I could possibly be walking the last 9 km in!!) I felt great!! With the water on one side, and just me and the road, I felt like Terry Fox running in Northern Ontario. I teared up a bit when that thought hit me.

I passed the support team again.....and heard Kristi comment "wow...she's looking strong!" It was great, since it wasn't directed at me....I knew it wasn't a "you're looking good" lie that gets told in races! ;)

I continued with my 10/1's.....saw the support vehicle again - with James running towards me....and he said "There's a guy down up here - just wanted you to know so it didn't shock you." I turned the corner and the ambulance was servicing a runner. I felt really bad for them....hoped they were okay....and thankful that I had been warned about it!

I had to slow myself down going down some of the hills - I even ran a 5:00 km at one point.....although I could tell that my legs would pay for that. The small downhills towards the end of the leg hurt the most...I had nothing left to brake with....but, if I let myself fly down them, I was sure my legs would buckle. The last 9 km were interesting....very "alone" running....only the support vehicles (ours, the hula girl team and the gnome team) were around.

I saw Brendan again at the 1 km to the end mark - right before a big hill that I had to walk up. He sarcastically said "what the he!!?" :twisted: I stopped, glared, and continued to walk up. I know he was trying to be funny......but, I was exhausted, and I felt guilty for walking, so, it was just bad timing....but it did give me something else to think about!, I walked it strong, and continued on.

There was one more hill....right at the end!!! Argh!! I couldn't walk that one since the crowds (or, what was left of them :oops: since the next leg had already started) were there......so, I charged up there with everything I had left and came into the ski lodge parking lot strong!

Overall, I finished in 2:06 for a 6:20 pace....without Smokey, I was a 5:55 pace :)....and, 59/63 (I gained a lot more ground on those two guys!!)

I was really happy with it!!

I'm really glad I chose that leg....and, of all the legs that I saw - I liked mine the most. I want to do it again. I feel like I might have had more in me....

[/img]
Last edited by Irongirl on Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue May 30, 2006 2:43 pm

Kiza, you ran that leg like you'd been born running up mountains. Every time we saw you, you looked amazing! You always had that big smile on your face, and looked strong, like you weren't at all bothered by the hills! Congrats! I am glad that I got to be there to watch your leg of the race. You are an amazing runner (and a pretty great person as well!).
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 pm

Great run, Kiza. That 2.1K really takes it out of you. To start your CTRR affiliation with Smokey is a tough introduction!!!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue May 30, 2006 2:49 pm

nick wrote:Great run, Kiza. That 2.1K really takes it out of you. To start your CTRR affiliation with Smokey is a tough introduction!!!

Thanks Nick - although, it makes me not want to run any of those "flat" legs....why run a flat leg when you could run a mountain?! ;)

Actually - when I told people that it was my first CTRR and I did leg 4 - the responses were funny - "what....did they not tell you there was a hill?" or "how did you get suckered into that?!" ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Wow! Great report. I loved reading it. To run one of the difficult sections and do so well is the admired! Super job. The photo of you shows you looking great! ( And I am not just "saying" that!! :lol: )

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Awesome report. I felt so pumped for you reading it- you ROCKED and CONQUERED that hill. Way to go!

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue May 30, 2006 3:16 pm

OMG - I will never, repeat never biotch about the "hill" at ATB again...

Way to kick Smokey Butt out there Kiza... You're a tough girl!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue May 30, 2006 3:26 pm

Your report makes me throw my hands up and cheer for you!
:clap:

Hot diggity you rock Kiza!! Congrats on an amazing job well done. I have been waiting for your report and you kicked Smokey in the a$$!!! WOOOO HOOOO!

Bravo, you continue to be my hero! :D

Awesome photos... now spill it on the dingle dangle! :lol: :?:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Tue May 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Congrats Kiza. Really well done.
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue May 30, 2006 4:12 pm

You wuold have to be a mountain goat to do any better. Well done!

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue May 30, 2006 4:13 pm

Sorry, I was trying to resize the image for Kiza and I screwed up! here's the image,. until she edits her post:

~Trish
Recovering slowly...

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue May 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Kiza you ROCK baby!!!

You really looked good, every time I saw you along that course!!!!
Way to smoke SMOKEY!!!!

I'm so glad we finally met! :D
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 30, 2006 4:29 pm

That's totally, awesome, IronHills .... if you can smoke Smokey .... IMUSA will be a breeze for ya ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm

Great run!

Driving up that mountain was really hard on Chuck's rental car.

When you guys pulled up at the beginning of Leg 10 you looked fresh as a daisy. I used what you told me about leg 4 to determine my approach the final hills on 11.

It was great to meet you.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm

You were great Kiza! It was very cool to watch you along the way. I think that Jacc was actually more stressed out about it than you were!! It was quite inspiring to watch you run!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue May 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Kiza,

This is an amazing report! Way to gut it out girl! Those east coast hills are crazy.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 30, 2006 5:51 pm

IronMountainGoat :wink:

It was an honour to watch you Smoke Smokey. You reminded me of the little train in the children's book..."I think I can...I think I can"...steamin up the mountain......you totally inspired me!!

IMLP......you are so ready for it!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Tue May 30, 2006 6:04 pm

WOW! Fantastic work, IG!!!

Great report too... love to see all the details - elevation profile, pics, et al. Well done!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

tritorun
Tom Longboat

Postby tritorun » Tue May 30, 2006 6:22 pm

You made a mole hill out of that mountain!

Great run for the team.

Paul
7 Marathons and counting!
Peterbourough Half 2007 (5:02:38)
Ironman Canada - 2007 (11:29:51)
with the slowest Marathon of my life

Up Next- rest for a while.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue May 30, 2006 6:22 pm

Great report Kiza on such a great run!

Do you remember months ago when I told you that someone I knew said the Gatineaus are no comparison to Smokey? Was I right? :lol:
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue May 30, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm so proud of you.

When I saw that hill, my first thought was, OMG, she'll never make it.

Then I though, OMG, I'm doing leg 9 that makes Smokey look like a piece of cake :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm in trouble!

When I gave you your sunglasses, I knew how little was left to climb, and you were looking so strong. I felt giddy for you.

You are an amazing athlete.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue May 30, 2006 7:22 pm

:clap: You have no idea how much I admire you at this very moment! Kiza, you're a tough woman, a very strong athlete and an inspiration for me!

Congratulations on beating Smokey!

How are your legs doing today? Sore...?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

dmchardie
Bruce Kidd

Postby dmchardie » Tue May 30, 2006 7:36 pm

What an outstanding race report. I felt like I was there beside you. Congrats!
Running Blog: http://danmchardierunning.blogspot.com/

Miramichi 10K: 38:42 (PB)
Grande-Digue 15K: 1:02:08 (PB)
Legs for Literacy Half-Marathon: 1:31:32 (PB)
2005 Royal Victoria Marathon: 3:19:00 (PB)

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Tue May 30, 2006 7:47 pm

wow Kiza, what an awesome job!!
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 am

great report Kiza. Congratulations
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Return to “Run/Race Reports”