Well, walking is really out for now!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Well, walking is really out for now!

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

HI all,

Was at the surgeon this morning - no operation - thank goodness b u t I start Shockwave Therapy tomorrow
on my heel. I have spoken now to two different doctors about it and they both agree this is the way to go for this
problem with the "Chronic Achilles Tendinitis" it will be painful but they both have said there will be a 86% success rate
of healing. So I am going for it. 3 sessions one week apart, then 3 sessions of physio. (where was this treatment when I needed two operations
on my elbows??? :roll: )

Drs say stay off the streets no walking until treatments complete and then about two months should be able to hit the road again.
I won't....too scared of re-injuring myself again. I'll stick to my elipitical.

It will be done at one of the best sports facilities here in the city and the person doing it is the one who started it all
in Quebec.

So there you have it, I will be healing slowly and I will be keeping an eye on all your efforts everyone :wink: Take care

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Well, walking is really out for now!

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Karen...good luck with the treatments.

Let us know how things progess!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Good luck.

I would say that not walking and using the elliptical will probably increase your chance of reoccurance. You have to work these things to make them stronger and more flexible. Just my non-medical opinion!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Sorry to hear this, but glad you have a treatment plan!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:07 pm

drghfx wrote:Good luck.

I would say that not walking and using the elliptical will probably increase your chance of reoccurance. You have to work these things to make them stronger and more flexible. Just my non-medical opinion!

I say I won't walk but I was told this afternoon that I never listen or do what I am told so more than likley I will be walking as soon as I can :D
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Speedy healing!!!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 pm

oh my goodness! This treatment really hurt but it is tolerable. Doctor/Physio says 86%-94% successful.
I have two more sessions, then 3 weeks of physio - a 6 week window of healing process so by the Spring I should be good to go.

He has strongly advised that I do not do anymore speed walking or competitive walking as the injury is quite severe and to go back
and re-injure would be, as he said, not good. I will have to listen because almost two years now of pain is enough for this body
to handle.

Cheerio for now!
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I hope the healing is quick. Keep us updated.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:18 pm

braveheart wrote:I hope the healing is quick. Keep us updated.

Thanks - I am finished the shockwave therapy - it was brutal!! That is all I can say. This last session has left a bruise on the bump on the side of the heel and I have to let phsyio know end of next week what the pain ratio is. i.e. 30% better or 60% better.....today :cry: it is 90% hurting. Oh well, when I look
around and see so many others in pain, whether from illness or earthquake aftermath - this is nothinggg...
I still have another 3 weeks to go in the healing process and hopefully by then things will have turned around.

Take care - enjoy the beauthiful weather out there (at least here in Mtl)

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 pm

KaTyBrown wrote:It will be done at one of the best sports facilities here in the city and the person doing it is the one who started it all in Quebec.

Hi Karen,

I hope you start to feel better soon, I've had this done before on my heel and it does hurt like he!l!!. I am wondering which clinic you went to? I've been wanting to get to the root of my own heel issues and I can only see this happening at a sports facilities where they are use to marathon runners.

Thanks a lot!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Dr. S wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:It will be done at one of the best sports facilities here in the city and the person doing it is the one who started it all in Quebec.

Hi Karen,

I hope you start to feel better soon, I've had this done before on my heel and it does hurt like he!l!!. I am wondering which clinic you went to? I've been wanting to get to the root of my own heel issues and I can only see this happening at a sports facilities where they are use to marathon runners.

Thanks a lot!

Hi - I was starting to feel I was alone with this treatment. I had it done at ActionSportPhysio on Blvd.St.Jean in Dollard - 514-624-2424
Alain Schneldeman is the head physio there and is the lead guy with this treatment - fantastic person ! Can't say enough about his expertise in his field.
He has treated all sports injuries and has travelled with the Canadian Skating Teams and othersand he does marathon runners. You can go on their site and get his profile - impressive!.
I am sure he will get to the bottom of your problems. We had concerns about the bruising after the treatment so Sat night at 10pm I sent an email
8am Sunday I had an answer! He has an emergency number which his patients can call anytime - super, super !
Am I impressed? You bet!
Any other information you need pm me and I will give you all I can.

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm

You are not alone!

Thanks a lot for the info, I went on their website and they have several clinics, I chose one closer to my home. I'll go to the one in Repentigny and my apt is tomorrow. I'm excited to see some results for my foot!

Thanks a lot for the info and keep us posted on your progess.
Sonia

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 pm

You are not alone. Shock wave therapy is brutal! I had it on my knee last Spring/Summer and it is like nothing I have ever experienced! :shock:

Heal up soon!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Holy smackers that sounds so painful.
Hope it works for you too Sonia.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 am

Marg wrote:Holy smackers that sounds so painful.
Hope it works for you too Sonia.

Marg......You bet it hurts !
but with a 94% success rate on Achilles Heel problems.....I was/am willing to try anything.

Sonia.....please let me know how it goes. Good luck!!!!!!

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:19 am

KaTyBrown wrote:Sonia.....please let me know how it goes. Good luck!!!!!!

Karen

I had my first shockwave treatment yesterday. It was harder than what I had done in the past since he went from 6 to 10 Hz increasing the pain and putting lots of pressure on my heel spur. It now feels better but sore. He's working on my back as the source problem since treating the problem will not get rid of the source issue. He thinks it's a back problem, I overpronate my knees (like bent in the wrong way and that over extends my back). I also use to sleep on my front and I've had to stop that, 4th night last night and I'm barely going on my stomach anymore.... I would do anything to get better it's still not easy to change the way you sleep, I'm waking up several times a night with a stiff hand. I'm hopeful about this treatment!! I'll let you know how it goes.

How is it going since the ending of your treatment? How many appts did you have??
Sonia

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:52 am

Dr. S wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:Sonia.....please let me know how it goes. Good luck!!!!!!

Karen

I had my first shockwave treatment yesterday. It was harder than what I had done in the past since he went from 6 to 10 Hz increasing the pain and putting lots of pressure on my heel spur. It now feels better but sore. He's working on my back as the source problem since treating the problem will not get rid of the source issue. He thinks it's a back problem, I overpronate my knees (like bent in the wrong way and that over extends my back). I also use to sleep on my front and I've had to stop that, 4th night last night and I'm barely going on my stomach anymore.... I would do anything to get better it's still not easy to change the way you sleep, I'm waking up several times a night with a stiff hand. I'm hopeful about this treatment!! I'll let you know how it goes.

How is it going since the ending of your treatment? How many appts did you have??

I had three appointments with a six week window for healing process.
Welll!!!! So far so good BUT I think I overextended myself on Wednesday, took grandaughter #1 (16 yrs) to l'Aubenaurie for clothes shopping
I did sit down while she tried on stuff but was on my feet a fair bit. Alain told me, and I quote, "don't jump the gun...3 weeks progressive healing
...only you can mess it up"....guess he told me off hahaha....he is really great. Yesterday, we took her back to Ottawa and to watch her play
her hockey game. It started to really hurt so we headed home early and I treated it last night - better this morning. I am wondering if the
extreme cold and the cold/humid arena had something to do with the hurting. Anyway, I have now firmly resolved not to do anything for the
next 3 weeks like Alain said and will behave. (hope this includes no housework :wink: )
p.s. Amanda's team won 2-1 and she got the two goals and the MVP of the game - wish we could have stayed for the night game at 8pm.
all weekend tournament hope they win.
(oops....sorry to prattle on)
Take care - don't push it.

Edit to add::::: Heard from Alain - he said yes, the humidity played a part in the pain I experienced. So Sonia be careful of the cold/humidity while being and when finished your treatments. I am feeling better tonight after resting and not walking today.
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Return to “Walking”