Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Rather than hijack RG's thread, I thought I would start a thread for the new(ish) momma's out there to talk about stroller running (boo!), running at all (yay!), sleep-deprevation and whatever else we want. We can also support each other with running goals. Anyone interested?
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 pm

how new of a mommy are we talking? ;)

the main thing that I've found since having Delilah is that running isn't my life anymore. It's okay to NOT run for awhile. It's okay to drop back from my big goals.

So far, I've not done a half-Ironman, Around the Bay, and a Marathon - i.e. all things that were on my "to-do" list that I've scaled back. This being a mommy thing is way more mentally exhausting than I thought it would be. (and, I'm sleeping through the night!)

So, my advice might not be the most motivating, since I'm all for the "running should make you feel good - not provide stress in your life" kinda attitude right now! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 am

If I count as "new" then you count too! I agree with your philosophy. I am enjoying running when I can, sleeping when I can(!!!) and taking it easy when I need to.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm a hot momma!

Yes running with the stroller does suck, but sometimes it is better than no run at all. I am finding that the stroller does slow me down on those days that I need to run a bit slower. If I am having a really good run with the stroller, then I am matching my easy pace without it.

A good tip for everyone is to always make sure your tires are inflated, just like you should do with a bike. I have forgotten to pump them for the past couple of weeks and now that I have said something I am off to do that right now.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:28 pm

IronColl wrote:I'm a hot momma!

I bet you are not...prove it, and let us be the judge of that :mrgreen:
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Us Daddy's get tired and sleep deprived too, not as much as the hard working Mommy's (fo sho) but I've been up late washing dishes. I've hand-washed poop out of clothes at least 3 times this week from 3 different users clothes, me included!!! and it wasn't even my poop.

My advise, just run, if you get the time, tired or not just do it.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Us Daddy's get tired and sleep deprived too, not as much as the hard working Mommy's (fo sho) but I've been up late washing dishes. I've hand-washed poop out of clothes at least 3 times this week from 3 different users clothes, me included!!! and it wasn't even my poop.

My advise, just run, if you get the time, tired or not just do it.

Do you want me to add "hot daddy's" to the thread, Rob? :D You are welcome to join in (and wiping your own poop out of clothing is just the polite thing to do :wink: ).

This weekend it is supposed to rain all weekend, I am looking forward to a run in the rain.

Oh, and anyone want to be my accountability person? I need to run 2X a week, and right now I am barely managing 1X a week. Not long runs, just any old runs!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 pm

No way this is for Hot Mommy's, I can't compete and don't want to. Mommy's Rule!!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Not sure I count in the "hot momma" category these days (at least not with these bags under my eyes :lol: ), but I'm in!

I've been lucky - between a very accomodating DH and the TM in the basement, I have very few excuses to skip runs. I also keep reminding myself that I've never regretted going for a run - but I have regretted not going. There's only a couple of times that, once I got going, I just wasn't feeling good and cut it short. With baby #2, I've gotten back into running much faster. Part of that is that every pregnancy (and recovery) is different, but part of it is that I learned that I won't lose any weight until I get moving! Once I got running after #1, I felt much, much better and coped with everything (including sleep deprivation!) better.

I've noticed two things; one, that I've had to become waaaaaay more organized to get everything done, but I actually really like the structure. I put my runs on my work calendar (I just have to remember to mark them "private" so they don't show up on my admin assistant's calendar too - she'd think I'm nuts!). It makes me think that, since they're written down, I may as well just do them :lol: .

Second, I cut myself more slack. If things come up, I work around them. While I've registered for several runs this year, I'm not locked into a training schedule for them. I usually sit down with my calendar every few weeks and plan my runs around the rest of my life. I've also learned what wipes me out (like weeks on call at work), and I plan to take it easy then. That way, I don't get frustrated that I've set my goals too high and can't do even close to what I was planning.

As for running strollers - they do suck. But much better than not running and comforting myself on the couch with Goldfish crackers (at least in the long run :D ). Mmmmm... goldfish...
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

I would like to join!

I have managed to run 3x a week for the last 2 weeks, and I feel like it is a HUGE step in the right direction. My run today didn't totally suck!

I am lucky in that I already have an accountability person. Colleen has been nice enough to expect me to show up on days she is at our fitness facility, and she watches for me on the track. It has been a HUGE motivator, and she has no idea how much I appreciate having someone looking for me!

I'm really looking forward to when it warms up enough here that I can take the stroller outside. I have only managed it once. One good thing about the track, though, is it is kind of boring for John, so he naps :)

I think I need to check the air pressure on my tires. I felt them the other day, and they seemed a tad squishy.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:02 am

Old Mommy here (but still hot :lol: )...
I just wanted to say that I admire and congratulate each and every one of you who has a young child or two and can still find time to run. It is so important for both your mental and physical health to be able to be physically active.
My daughter is adopted so I didn't have to worry about the physical body changes, but the mental demand of having a newborn (kind of suddenly) in your life was very demanding. Running or any physical activity was a great stress reliever. Keep doing what you're doing as often as you can, you are all doing wonderful. My daughter is now 15 and it's still just as important for the mental aspect to go out running.

Keep it up. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks Hot momma Susan!

I am planning on running semi-alone today (a lap with the pup first, otherwise he freaks out), but now DH wants me to wait so he can join with the stroller. SIGH. Not that I mind the company but alone time was going to rock.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Today's run SUCKED. Environment Canada says the wind speed is 21 km/fr but I swear, it was like 50. Completely motivation sucking.

I told myself "4km or 40 minutes, whichever comes first." 4k came first, but not by much...

At least it's over with :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Woohoo FP, you ran!

I did 3k's, I was freezing the whole time, and it was miserable, but a rum and coke afterwards sure helped! :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Irongirl, I have exactly the same philosophy!

That is a great idea - I really do think my tires need inflating. Now if only I could find the tire inflater thingy!!! Maybe there'd be less drag and I could run more easily.

I like the idea of a thread for the mamas and papas out there. Running has become a different beast now!

One question I have for the stroller runners out there: I used to pump my arms like a mad woman going up hills - it used to help a lot. Now, since I am pushing something, I can't pump my arms as much - any hints or tips of what I can do???

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:34 pm

randomgirl wrote:Irongirl, I have exactly the same philosophy!

That is a great idea - I really do think my tires need inflating. Now if only I could find the tire inflater thingy!!! Maybe there'd be less drag and I could run more easily.

I like the idea of a thread for the mamas and papas out there. Running has become a different beast now!

One question I have for the stroller runners out there: I used to pump my arms like a mad woman going up hills - it used to help a lot. Now, since I am pushing something, I can't pump my arms as much - any hints or tips of what I can do???
RG

I push with one arm and pump the other, but switch arms frequently. It's not the same, but it's better than not moving both arms.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:05 pm

randomgirl wrote:Irongirl, I have exactly the same philosophy!

RG

Avoid hills with the stroller!! That was my best defense. Seriously - I could never manage to make it up anything more than the slightest hill with the stroller.

And it's so true - inflated tires make a huge difference!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Can I join, even if I'm not running right now?? I'm going to need a bit kick in the butt come July! I found it doable to manage fitting running into my life with one little one, but I imagine that 2 will be trickier. I was lucky that I had a good gym membership with cheap childcare, a supportive husband and a good running stroller - plus a baby who didn't mind a stroller run! I'll be looking for some advice from others in the summer, when I'm starting all over again.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Kristi wrote:Can I join, even if I'm not running right now?? I'm going to need a bit kick in the butt come July! I found it doable to manage fitting running into my life with one little one, but I imagine that 2 will be trickier. I was lucky that I had a good gym membership with cheap childcare, a supportive husband and a good running stroller - plus a baby who didn't mind a stroller run! I'll be looking for some advice from others in the summer, when I'm starting all over again.

YOU ARE IN the club :) haha.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 am

I just thought I would share with the hot momma's out there, I am so excited. I just mapped out the route to my *potential* new daycare person (after we move we lose my current one- I am so sad about that). And, it is about 3k one way, which means some days I can run there, leave the BOB (hopefully), and then run back. Or, at about 5k I pass a few coffee shops- so I could stop and walk the rest of the way with my coffee. :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 am

Kristi - what Prats said - you ARE in the club!

Prats -that sounds awesome!!! How great is that???

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:03 pm

That sounds awesome pts!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:52 pm

pts wrote:I just thought I would share with the hot momma's out there, I am so excited. I just mapped out the route to my *potential* new daycare person (after we move we lose my current one- I am so sad about that). And, it is about 3k one way, which means some days I can run there, leave the BOB (hopefully), and then run back. Or, at about 5k I pass a few coffee shops- so I could stop and walk the rest of the way with my coffee. :)

That's awesome! That would be a great way to work in a couple of runs each week. And it's awesome that you have a new potential daycare person lined up.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 am

Tried the one-handed running (while pumping the other hand) and it worked! My run was a lot easier, AND I didn't steer Miss M into traffic! YAYAYAY!!!!

...now if only I could find that bicycle tire pump....

A

(who is really excited that it appears that Anners will be joining us hot running mamas any minute now!! Not that she'll run tomorrow or anything, lol!)

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 am

There is always the push and catch up technique as well - which I only do with the wrist strap attached because it freaks me out. But when I'm tired of running without my arms, I'll push the stroller a foot or so ahead and then catch up. It's a nice bit of a break, but I'm not sure that it's any easier.

Return to “The Scenic Route”