Wednesday First Official Thread.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Wednesday First Official Thread.

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:59 am

7k for me today, with some strides afterwards. I have to goto the dentist at 2 :? :( . Root canal time.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:35 am

Day 4 of my 1/2 training today. It sure is nice to be going for shorter distances for a while. I had been up to 10 regularly and now I am only doing 3k today! Well if that is ALL I am supposed to do, who am I to complain!!??

Have a great day!

Dani

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 am

Dani, welcome here. :)

Jacob, good luck with your root canal. Ick.

Today I plan to do 8 miles... after work though. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:21 am

10k tonight!
May pop into the gym on my lunch hour for some arms work.

Have a super day!

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:32 am

10k tonight....will do it THERE, as Mrs. Bman is on her last LTR clinic night!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:54 am

Major rest day today. I conked out on my LSD Saturday, and have been doing the chump move of trying to "make up for it" the past three days. I'm not injured, but my legs are definitely screaming for an off-day.

Hey Bman, cool to hear that Mrs. Bman has taken up the sport. Do you think she'll get into racing, or more just for the fitness?

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:12 am

Hey Dgrant....nice to see ya again!
Nope, the LTR is about it...maybe a fall 5k as a goal, but just an overall raising of her fitness level.
Actualy, its probably the "if ya cant beat 'em, join 'em philosophy!

I am glad though, cuz now she understands my moodiness when a run goes bad, or I miss one....or the NEEED to get out and hammer 20-30 k. For the longest time i was the old "Why...or I dont get you man!"....now she sees it my way a bit more!!
now that I am climbing up to 1/2 Iron and Iron distances...time management is MANDATORY!
Yur lucky...your missus is right in there, so I am sure there are less battles in your castle!
(Carefull how you answer...she's gonna read this too!)

TheBman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Karin
Johnny Miles

Postby Karin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:49 am

I think I've done some damage. I tried a really hard week two weeks ago and I'm still feeling some pain when I run. So I think tonight will be a very easy 5km or so and I will skip my hills yet again. I'm going to really catch up on those when the pain goes away. I thought I was 'too good' for the 10% increase in milage rule. I guess my body is telling me otherwise, I'll smarten up from now on.

Karin

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:57 am

That's too bad that you're hurt, or sore. Don't try and catch up on anything though Karin. Just go with the flow. Catching up with missed runs is only going hinder your recovery.

I was supposed to do a 7k today, but really felt like doing a 5k. I'm trying to learn my pace, without the garmin, and I'm doing okay, just a little too fast still, I'll learn though. So I intended on running a 22:30 5k--MGP, but ran a 20:12. So really I'm not that far off...

RUNNING MANIA #2

Karin
Johnny Miles

Postby Karin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:00 am

jacob42.2 wrote: I'm trying to learn my pace, without the garmin,

Did you lose your Garmin?? OH my how will you survive!!???

Karin

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:09 am

haha, no I still have my baby, but I'm trying to learn how to run without it. To be able to judge my pace without depending on it.

RUNNING MANIA #2

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 pm

yahoo, i found you guys!!! thanks for tipping me off qmp!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:29 pm

That's a really good idea, Jacob, to run without the garmin. I've found I'm starting to really rely on it to judge my pace too, and I want to get better at figuring it out on my own as well. Good luck with the root canal... this is your hot dentist, right? Smile real pretty at her and ask her for some Demerol. You'll be glad you did... :twisted:

I'm either going to run 3 or 4 miles tonight, or I'll swim. I'm trying to go easy on the IT, and since I want to do a speed workout tomorrow swimming might win out.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:33 pm

I dunno if it's the hot one today, but hopefully, having her work on me, wouldn't be as painful ya know. Don't wanna look like wuss.

As for pacing, try not to bring it on the short runs, or speed workouts. This will help you learn your own pace. I still use that sucker for the long runs, but on my last half, I strapped it to my bicep, and used my own watch to judge.

RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm

a_keddy wrote:yahoo, i found you guys!!! thanks for tipping me off qmp!

welcome here. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:22 pm

jacob42.2 wrote:I dunno if it's the hot one today, but hopefully, having her work on me, wouldn't be as painful ya know. Don't wanna look like wuss.

My dentist is hot too, but I think he's gay so I'm out of luck. I don't KNOW that he's gay, but he made some comment about some male actor that I was pretty sure I'd never hear a straight man say. Anyway, he's an awesome dentist and it's nice to have someone great to go to (I used to hate dentists until I found this one).

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Brendan, sounds like you're coping my training schedual! GET OUT OF MY HEAD hahaha... :lol:

RUNNING MANIA #2

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:18 pm

Took another R&R day off today and just did an easy 22.5K recovery ride, testing my race wheels for K-town this weekend ...

Welcome aboard everyone ... andy :) Peace !!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm

HCD wrote:Took another R&R day off today and just did an easy 22.5K recovery ride, testing my race wheels for K-town this weekend ...

Welcome aboard everyone ... andy :) Peace !!!

welcome here, andy! soon we're going to be overrun by dark-siders... this could be dangerous... :P

I just got back from my 8 miler. I felt tired but tried a new strategy... every time I was tempted to take an unscheduled walk break, I'd speed up instead and then try to think about something else. It worked. lol

Saw lots of people out tonight, including some friendly cyclists, so that was nice.

But the BEST news of today is that my resting heartrate continues to drop. Today after my nap (before my run) I measured it at 50bpm, which is the lowest yet. When I started measuring in February it was 62. Gotta love measurable progress. :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I was considering an open-water swim tonight with the crew from Endurosport (jeez, I love to be able to mention another store openly), but the E. coli levels are getting a little high from the rain we've had the last couple of days. I opted for a run instead - also because this was such a lovely cool night! I ran down on the boardwalk - maybe 6K or so, but then my hip flexor started acting up, so I walked up Lee from the boardwalk. I have a race on Sunday, so I don't want to overdo it. I think I'll swim tomorrow evening.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 pm

Hey Lesley,

I hope Endurosport can hang in there and build a following. To be honest, every time I go in there the store has a feel like it's going out of business (very little inventory), but maybe they can make a go of it. Lisa has signed up for Mark Vivian's speed clinic in August.

What street do you live on in the Beach? (I understand if you don't want to post that online...) Maybe we can all head out for a run sometime. Lisa and I are always talking about taking up swimming for x-training, and would love to pick your brain.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:49 pm

I'm taking a speed clinic out of endurosport, which starts in 2 weeks. The coach is a fabulous guy and knows a ton of great workouts to get you faster!
It used to be out of the RR and called "personal best" but they made a "corporate decision" to scrap it. :evil: At least the coach had somewhere else to go so that we could still learn from him! I also hope Endurosport does OK. They're all really nice and seem to know what they're doing.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:50 pm

I live just down the street from you (same road, but between Woodbine/Dundas). I was at a party of yours a couple of years ago. I'd love to go for a run, but I'm afraid I'm quite a bit slower than you and Lisa.

Enduro is doing OK - if you've ever been there on a Wednesday for open water swim when there is also a clinic going on it's a madhouse. They'll be carrying bikes soon when they expand upstairs. It always takes time to build a business and Dan's a good guy (as is Catherine, the manager - a good gal, not guy :wink: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:12 pm

I parked my beater in front of Endurosport on Sunday when I went out for my long run -- when I got back, there was a sandwich board out front advertising a bike maintenance clinic. The irony was SO not lost on me. :oops:
BG

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 pm

ladechat wrote:I was at a party of yours a couple of years ago.

That's so funny! I think I remember you- I think you came with Harry right? I got strep throat that night, so once I sobered up I realized I had a fever of about 103! Wild...
Cool... small world. :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”