The late report, two reports in.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ROW
Bill Crothers

The late report, two reports in.

Postby ROW » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 pm

So one of my reports are a race and one a run.

So XC went horribly wrong... I came 100th out of 150. At the beginning I was at a pace for top 50 then BAM!!! I hit the wall at 1.5km and lost it going slower then a easy run pace for me, I knew I blew it. Since one of my team mates beat me by 3 places he bragged that he beat me when I beat him pretty bad in Regionals. Not my luck. Can't wait till high school XC.

Now my my second report is on my longest run ever, a half marathon!! Acouple weeks ago I decided to run 20km, but who cares close enough to a half marathon so I decided to run it. Well there is a loop one kilometer from my house that goes out into the country and back in for a total of 5km. My mom came out with me for the first 5km but went back after. We finished the first 5km in 35:XX. The next 5km was great, my body felt great had some sips of gatorade, finished in about 32:XX. The next 5km was great buttttt.... I got chased by a farm dog, but he didnt catch me, that was fun.... finished in 31:XX. The last 6km was tough, everything was locking up and I went numb in some places. It got windy, luckily I had a wind breaker. (Thank you Marg!!) I ran home and was sore but was so happy about my acomplishment. Next a Marathon :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Congrats on your first 21K run !

M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Wow, that's outstanding. Very impressive distance! 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 pm

Awesome :clap: :clap: I have a feeling we're going to be seeing lots more reports from you :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Blanken, I have read many of your posts with interest and may have even replied to one or two.
I'm sure it has been suggested before but here I go again.

GET YOURSELF A COACH!!!

And by that I mean an athletics coach, NOT a personal trainer.
People here give advice with the best of intentions but mostly it is a scaled down version of adult training, there is an age old lesson for coaching young athletes.

DON'T TRAIN YOUNG ATHLETES LIKE ADULTS.

A 13 year old boy should NOT be training over 21km and as far as the marathon distance............ plain ridiculous.

I've seen it all before Blanken, 13, 14, and 15 year old distance stars, they win a few minor races only to fade away never to be heard of or be seen again.
At 13 you should be training to train. When you get to 16 then you train to compete and at 20 you train to win.

I read somewhere your a swimmer great!! incorporate swimming and body weight exercises and football and cricket mix up your sports.
Take part in sprints and hurdles (especially hurdles) and include field games as well.
If you really love your running, if you want to achieve your true potential, or even if like me, you just want to remain in the sport for the rest of your life.

Think about it

yours in running, regards CC.
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Corpus Cani wrote:Blanken, I have read many of your posts with interest and may have even replied to one or two.

GET YOURSELF A COACH!!!

It has been suggested before, as with the advice about not going into longer distances.

I agree with CC, Blanken.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:40 am

Ditto those comments. And Andy even posted a link to a top youth coach for you in another thread:
http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30212
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:20 am

Corpus Cani wrote:Blanken, I have read many of your posts with interest and may have even replied to one or two.

GET YOURSELF A COACH!!!

And by that I mean an athletics coach, NOT a personal trainer.
People here give advice with the best of intentions but mostly it is a scaled down version of adult training, there is an age old lesson for coaching young athletes.

DON'T TRAIN YOUNG ATHLETES LIKE ADULTS.

A 13 year old boy should NOT be training over 21km and as far as the marathon distance............ plain ridiculous.

I've seen it all before Blanken, 13, 14, and 15 year old distance stars, they win a few minor races only to fade away never to be heard of or be seen again.
At 13 you should be training to train. When you get to 16 then you train to compete and at 20 you train to win.

I read somewhere your a swimmer great!! incorporate swimming and body weight exercises and football and cricket mix up your sports.
Take part in sprints and hurdles (especially hurdles) and include field games as well.
If you really love your running, if you want to achieve your true potential, or even if like me, you just want to remain in the sport for the rest of your life.

Think about it

yours in running, regards CC.
Seriously I think it would be great to get a coach, but I like where I am right now. I am not trying to race these distances at my age, I like running these distances. I have no talent in races like sprints and this is why i love distance. I actually have some talent running these races. I can beat the most fastest kids at my age in these. I also enjoy it very much. I won't be racing half marathons right now, maybe in a year or two, but I just want to run this distance.

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Blanken wrote:Seriously I think it would be great to get a coach, but I like where I am right now. I am not trying to race these distances at my age, I like running these distances. I have no talent in races like sprints and this is why i love distance. I actually have some talent running these races. I can beat the most fastest kids at my age in these. I also enjoy it very much. I won't be racing half marathons right now, maybe in a year or two, but I just want to run this distance.

Blank, I won't keep going on about this, I just ask you to think again about what I have said.

You being a student would know in order to excel at maths the Canadian education system would insist in you starting with basics such as simple counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Once mastered you then move to the next level. I have coached at many schools over the past 20 years and have encountered running squads who cannot warm up properly, cannot run properly and many other basic technical difficulties such have poor flexibility and mobility. A lot of them are simply poor at the basics.
Now would your maths teacher allow this to happen in the classroom domain?
Would your teacher let you do a university degree before you are ready, so why the same in a sporting context?

Running is a science and an art. It has to be learnt.
And that includes sprints and any other running disciplines you might not like
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:44 am

Blanken,

As you know I read a lot of your posts. I think it's great that someone your age wants to be active and improve at a sport. I think CC makes some very good points and I'd encourage you to think them over.
Do you have access to coaches in your area?
Keep in mind, we're not trying to "rain on your parade" We're interested in seeing you run, run well for many years, and not get burnt out!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:42 am

Corpus Cani wrote: Running is a science and an art. It has to be learnt. And that includes sprints and any other running disciplines you might not like

I love this.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:49 am

Ed Fizz wrote:
Corpus Cani wrote: Running is a science and an art. It has to be learnt. And that includes sprints and any other running disciplines you might not like

I love this.

Yeah...I noticed that too. So true :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:55 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Keep in mind, we're not trying to "rain on your parade" We're interested in seeing you run, run well for many years, and not get burnt out!

Also- when you're young you have the window or opportunity to train your muscles for speed in a way that many of us old folks can't do any more (we're so much more limited). I wish I were younger!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am

You guys are right, too bad I don;t have access to a coach in my area, though I have many expierianced runners that i see a lot so they help me alot.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Blanken wrote:You guys are right, too bad I don;t have access to a coach in my area, though I have many expierianced runners that i see a lot so they help me alot.

Blanken... I think that you have some pretty good resources from people in your running group... Barbie may be able to help you find someone to help you out as she has a lot of connections through Multi-Sport.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Blanken, you are making a good start on becoming a running addict. You are already a maniac!

Well...be careful and you could end up like me: slow and old, but still running! How could life get any better than that? Think what you could be 40 years from now. ROTFLOL...a runner! :twisted:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Running Discussion”