Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 am

The "Type A" forum.
What time is LOVE?

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 am

Doonst wrote:How about a seniors forum? A place where us aging racers can reminisce about recipes, music and pets, and complain about most everything including all you silly youngsters. 8)

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Oh, and I'm all for the Racing Forum, or whatever you want to call it.
Last edited by Darth Tater on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:27 am

Personally I don't get why there has to be a separate forum. If you're asking about training for a fast race, wouldn't you ask in the training forum? People talk about speed all the time in their results posts. And we sometimes have discussions about elite racing, etc. (although not enough) in the main forum.

Are people really offended when others talk about speed and races? I haven't seen that in any real way. The most controversy seems to come about things like cross-training, training methods, and NRR topics.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:28 am

Yeah, I reserve the right to trash talk all over this place. Don't fence me in!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:31 am

Darth Tater wrote:
Doonst wrote:How about a seniors forum? A place where us aging racers can reminisce about recipes, music and pets, and complain about most everything including all you silly youngsters. 8)

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Nice try but you got the hair wrong. Here's the kind of advice you could look forward to:
SENIOR DRESS CODE

Many of us over 50, WAY over 50, or on the way to 50 are quite
confused about how we should present ourselves. We're unsure about
the
kind of image we are projecting and whether or not we are correct as
we try to conform to current fashion.

In spite of what you may have seen on the streets, the following
combinations DO NOT go together and should be avoided:

1. A nose ring and bifocals

2. Spiked hair and bald spots

3. A pierced tongue and dentures

4. Miniskirts and support hose

5. Ankle bracelets and corn pads

6. Speedo's and cellulite

7. A belly button ring and a gall bladder surgery scar

8. Unbuttoned disco shirts and a heart monitor

9. Midriff shirts and a midriff bulge

10. Pierced nipples that hang below the waist

11. Bikinis and liver spots.

12. Short shorts and varicose veins.

13. Inline skates and a walker..

And the ultimate 'Bad Taste' in fashion for the older folks...

14. Thongs and Depends.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Jason G
Johnny Miles

Postby Jason G » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 am

Whatever its called - I like the idea...
Jason

upcoming races:
Lethbridge Moonlight 10K - March 14 - 43:01
Airdrie Half-marathon - April 19 - 1:31:33
Calgary Full-marathon - May 31, 2009
?

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 am

Doonst wrote:Nice try but you got the hair wrong.

Sorry, is this a more accurate picture of a grumpy Doonst?
Darth Tater

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 am

Jwolf wrote:Personally I don't get why there has to be a separate forum. If you're asking about training for a fast race, wouldn't you ask in the training forum? People talk about speed all the time in their results posts. And we sometimes have discussions about elite racing, etc. (although not enough) in the main forum.

Are people really offended when others talk about speed and races? I haven't seen that in any real way. The most controversy seems to come about things like cross-training, training methods, and NRR topics.

I agree.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 am

Jwolf wrote:Personally I don't get why there has to be a separate forum. If you're asking about training for a fast race, wouldn't you ask in the training forum? People talk about speed all the time in their results posts. And we sometimes have discussions about elite racing, etc. (although not enough) in the main forum.

It's not because there isn't any place to talk or discuss it, it is more to have a central area to talk about it. You could post in the general or training but a lot of discussions could get lost with those. I think what is being asked for here is a separate sand box to play in.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 am

Darth Tater wrote:
Doonst wrote:Nice try but you got the hair wrong.

Sorry, is this a more accurate picture of a grumpy Doonst?

Strangely yes. Its funny because its true. :lol:
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am

I'm sure an elite/racing section will be looked at/posted on more than the walking section is now. :wink:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 am

klewlis wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Are people really offended when others talk about speed and races? I haven't seen that in any real way. The most controversy seems to come about things like cross-training, training methods, and NRR topics.

I agree.

Do you all remember the thread "Whos the fastest Maniac" or something like that.....it got ugly and that is only ONE example. The best par of having a seperate section.....dont go if you dont want to! You are free to ask the same question in the GRD!

So, above we have only TWO detractors so far.....Klewlis can you have an off line convo with the mods (or however it is done now) and see what the MODS consensus is....

Thank you..........

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:59 am

strider wrote: I think what is being asked for here is a separate sand box to play in.

IMHO, the key would be an understanding that this new section might have a different tone than the rest of RM. Mostly the tone on RM is about inclusion and mutual celebration and all that. Nothing wrong with that... people like it... it's a hobby after all. But perhaps it's not always the most sincere or constructive.

I can see the value of a section where, if I post a training topic there, I'm doing so with the understanding that somebody might (politely and with my best interest in mind) tell me I'm doing it all wrong or shouldn't be doing it at all. And others can respond with the understanding that I have that understanding... rather than biting their tongue or wondering if the only acceptable answer is "you're awesome!"

(I'm also not saying it's wrong to post things just to get a dose of unconditional affirmation, but just not in that section.)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:00 am

I'm not really against it. In fact, if having a separate forum encourages more discussions about these things, then I'm all for it.

I just don't see the separate forum discouraging controversy in the other forums...

I don't even remember the "who's the fastest maniac" thread getting so ugly. It was just that no one really thought it was feasible to have a "race" for that.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am

strider wrote:It's not because there isn't any place to talk or discuss it, it is more to have a central area to talk about it. You could post in the general or training but a lot of discussions could get lost with those. I think what is being asked for here is a separate sand box to play in.

The problem I see here, is one of duplication and "where do I go?"
Here's what I wrote on this topic eeeaaaarrllllyyyyy this morning, when I was awake in the middle of the night :) :

Hm. In principle, I don't mind (or care too much either way) about whether or not there's a forum for "racing."

But then I start to think... OK, what will be in there? Bman's words: threads like “I run a 20:35 5k….would love to hit sub 20..any ideas?” or “ Sub 11hr IM….advice needed”… or even a race report that is titled “I kicked a$$ and took names….YEAH!!!!”.

It seems to me that all of those could be covered in "Training and Recovering" or "Race Reports."

Essentially, [as others have noted since I wrote this] what we're looking at is not something called "Racing". It's an "Elite" section. Or perhaps "Faster folks." Or maybe "Competitive."

The problem I see with that is that we then end up with two forum sections. If I look at myself as an example:

I'm competitive. Extremely. Not in my times (alas), but in my mind/attitude. (There, I said it!) I love racing. I do. I have even gotten a couple of age group medals and "first woman." BUT I'm not super fast. Though maybe I could be. I'm not going to be hitting a 20:35 10K or similar, but sometimes, I do want some serious training advice.

So, where do I go for my training issues and race reports? Do I ask my questions in two places? Do I post my race reports in 2 sections?

It seems to me there's duplication here.

And the other issue I have is that, right now, I'm not sure we have the numbers for such a forum. How many would participate? Would it really draw more faster/competitive runners? I'm not sure.

Maybe all we need to do is change the descriptions under our forum titles or something. Or foster more of an acceptance of competition... which, it seems by this thread, it seems does exist, in words, at least.

So, I guess, to sum up, my issues are the practical ones:
-duplication
- how people know where to put their posts, and
- numbers of people who fit the bill to be active (and comfortable being active) in such a forum.

And, then, if everyone just moves in there, well, then we have some major duplication or just one big forum where people discuss training and race reporting under one big header, and the others just languish.

--
The offline convo with the mods was started last night. And the above is essentially what I posted there.

Note that my issues/concerns do NOT include worry about elitism or some feeling offended or other such things. I, personally, have never felt excluded or offended, and I don't think that a separate forum would be the answer to alleviate those who have felt that way. Everyone already has the choice to read or not read, and I don't see how a new forum will affect that.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:04 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't even remember the "who's the fastest maniac" thread getting so ugly. It was just that no one really thought it was feasible to have a "race" for that.

because it happened... what, 2 years ago? that doesn't really indicate a need for me, if such threads come about so rarely.

eta: we might be talking about different threads, but either way... I don't see a need.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 am

Maybe its because people bite their tongue and don't ask questions or talk about speed issues because they know it will get blown out of proportion.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 am

That's sort of how I see it too, Heather.

I'm competitive but not fast. Where do I go?

I'd love to see more discussions about actual elite racing, but even when those are front an centre in the main forum, very few people discuss. But maybe that's because the discussions often seem to end up being about celebrities or something.

Also, I've never thought that discussions about people asking for speed or racing advice had to be tempered. Don't people want reality?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 am

dgrant wrote:
strider wrote: I think what is being asked for here is a separate sand box to play in.

IMHO, the key would be an understanding that this new section might have a different tone than the rest of RM. Mostly the tone on RM is about inclusion and mutual celebration and all that. Nothing wrong with that... people like it... it's a hobby after all. But perhaps it's not always the most sincere or constructive.

I can see the value of a section where, if I post a training topic there, I'm doing so with the understanding that somebody might (politely and with my best interest in mind) tell me I'm doing it all wrong or shouldn't be doing it at all. And others can respond with the understanding that I have that understanding... rather than biting their tongue or wondering if the only acceptable answer is "you're awesome!"

(I'm also not saying it's wrong to post things just to get a dose of unconditional affirmation, but just not in that section.)

so instead of duplicating (as Heather pointed out), why not change the expectations in the boards that currently exist?

As far as I see it, there will be people offended about certain things no matter where you put them or what you call them. We can't change their reaction. What we can change is the expectation/atmosphere/culture of RM. If such a change needs to happen, then go for it... but it doesn't require a separate board which will only be used by a few people (or it will be used by everyone and defeat the purpose).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am

klewlis wrote:
dgrant wrote:

so instead of duplicating (as Heather pointed out), why not change the expectations in the boards that currently exist?
Exactly!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 am

I think it's a great idea. I probably won't post in it much, but I'm sure I'll find the trash talking very entertaining :lol:
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:13 am

klewlis wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I don't even remember the "who's the fastest maniac" thread getting so ugly. It was just that no one really thought it was feasible to have a "race" for that.

because it happened... what, 2 years ago? that doesn't really indicate a need for me, if such threads come about so rarely.

eta: we might be talking about different threads, but either way... I don't see a need.

Must be a different thread....this one was within the last 6 months...

Honeslty, I think DGrant summed up this attempt best....but with it seems that pretty much the WHOLE FIRST PAGE of possitive feedback is silenced by "but either way...I don't see a need".

:wall: as usual

It was worth a shot....sorry folks!

Brian
Last edited by TheBman on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:13 am

I had said I didn't see an need, but that is only because of the way I read the forum. I got on and click the "new threads since last visit" and then pick and choose what I want to read by the title of the thread. I rarely, once or twice a month, go into each section looking for something particular. I never even know what forum I'm reading unless I've started the thread.

So, to me, I'd see them all the same.

Fostering a particular attitude toward "elite" topics would not be easy. People don't change overnight, and it is going to be a slow process. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but as it does, everyone has to be carefull to NOT offend anyone who is just trying to help, or to not offend anyone who is just looking for praise. It's a hard thing, as we can see already in just thsi one thread, there are MANY views on just this little thing.

Life is just so complicated....lol :lol:
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 am

klewlis wrote:

This one got pretty nasty - it was fairly recent:

http://www.runningmania.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=30389&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Darth Tater

Return to “General Running Discussion”