Picking your ideal race distance - and then being ok with it

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

tils
Johnny Miles

Picking your ideal race distance - and then being ok with it

Postby tils » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 am

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time convincing myself to do shorter race distances.

I'm trying to commit myself to doing only 10K races this year. I enjoy them and the training SO much more, and I'm all around a lot faster in a shorter distance, plus I have far less injuries when I do this race distance.

Why is my head trying to tell me that I should be doing half marathons to be a "real runner". I know being a runner has nothing do with times or distances. Is about enjoying it and running in general.

I'm guessing it's because my DH is a marathoner, and triathlete and I see him out there putting in tons of hours of training. He doesn't make me feel bad about it, and in fact thinks I'm crazy to keep wanting to do halfs when I keep injuring myself so much.

At least I'm listening to my body more, and if I stick to the 10K's I can do a lot more speed training.

So hard to get my head in the right place of realzing what my body can handle. Anybody else have this problem.
10K's and adventure races are the name of the game this year.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the thing you didn’t do than by the ones you did do,so throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

JenniferMcCreath
Johnny Miles

Postby JenniferMcCreath » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 am

perhaps you are under the impression that completing longer distances represent a greater accomplishment and require more work.. but you know, setting some challenging speed goals at the 10K distance will require equally as much effort to meet.

perhaps the public perception of the marathon concept is another thing that makes you feel that these longer races are important. you mention the word Marathon to anyone, and they will immediately become impressed.. you mention the word Boston in the same sentence, and people become even more impressed, even if they know nothing about running.. i know this perception factor has played a strong role in the reason for which i have chosen to focus on the 42.2k distance as my race of choice.
1st sanctioned Transsexual Marathonner in World History
19 Marathons since May/07
Pre-op PB 3.16.59 Massey 7/20/08
Post-op PB 4.08.33 Halifax 5/17/09
5 in 30 days in spring 2009
2 in 2 days in 2 countries in Sept 2008
2 Gold Medals at 2009 World Outgames
jennifermccreath.blogspot.com
twitter.com/Jenn_McCreath
facebook.com/pages/Jennifer-McCreath/41528908809

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Picking your ideal race distance - and then being ok wit

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 am

tils wrote:Why is my head trying to tell me that I should be doing half marathons to be a "real runner". I know being a runner has nothing do with times or distances. Is about enjoying it and running in general.
[ . . . ]
So hard to get my head in the right place of realzing what my body can handle. Anybody else have this problem.

What makes you happy?
Do you want to listen to your head (which seems to be dictated by what others think) or do you want to listen to your heart (which seems to be dictated by what you think)? This is up to you to answer, not anyone else. I'm just saying your answer might be located in your question.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 am

I think you've answered your own question. You just want us to validate your decision for you. :wink:

He (or she) who runs is a runner. Period.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Picking your ideal race distance - and then being ok wit

Postby ian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:12 pm

tils wrote:I'm trying to commit myself to doing only 10K races this year. I enjoy them and the training SO much more, and I'm all around a lot faster in a shorter distance, plus I have far less injuries when I do this race distance.

This is a very convincing set of reasons. Other distances will still be around if you changed your mind and maybe a year of happy injury-free training is a better way of preparing for that anyway.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 pm

I have decided to only race 10K or less this year. For me, the excitement around this decision is that I am going to be able to race more frequently! That excites me! More races equals more social time and more opportunities to meet people!

Now, I am under no delusions that training well for 10K and under is ANY less work than training for a half marathon or a full marathon. It's a just a different kind of work. :) So maybe that's where you need to change your mindset.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Run the distances you like. Run 'em up real nice.

and

Be viewed as a "real runner". Sure the people in the office won't say wow as much about a 10K as they do for an "OMG! A marathon! How could you do that???!!!", but people in the running community certainly appreciate a well-run 10K. Whose opinion matters more?

I don't think serious runners equate running farther with running better if the running's not done well.
Last edited by dgrant on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm

dgrant wrote:Sure the people in the office won't say wow as much about a 10K as they do for an "OMG! A marathon! How could you do that???!!!", but people in the running community certainly appreciate a well-run 10K. Whose opinion matters more?

Yes! Well put!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I have the same kind of issues, only in my case it involves all races, no matter what length, and injuries aren't what's stopping me. The 3 races I ran in my first year of running, I really could take or leave. I wasn't exhilarated about the large crowd at my first. I wasn't completely depressed by coming in dead last at my second, and was indifferent to coming in mid-pack in my 3rd.

But most of the posts on this forum happen to be about people racing. HalfIM, Marathon, Ultras, Goofy Challenges and such. I start thinking maybe I should race as well. I think it would be so neat to take part in things like the goofy challenge. But then I realize that while I don't hate running anymore I don't love it enough to want to be doing it for a good 4-5 hours, which is how long it would likely take me to finish a marathon.

I originally got into running because I fell in love with watching adventure racing on tv. Now I realize that ain't gonna happen so I'm still working on coming to terms with the fact that I may never race again. In my heart I think I'm fine with that, but it's hard being confronted everyday with people who seem to spend every waking hour thinking about, planning trips for, and training for, a race. That feeling/attitude from my youth of "there's no point in running if you can't run fast" has been transformed into, "what's the point in running if you don't race?". Or in your case, "what's the point in racing if I'm not doing the marathon?".
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

abhainn wrote:I have the same kind of issues, only in my case it involves all races, no matter what length, and injuries aren't what's stopping me. The 3 races I ran in my first year of running, I really could take or leave. I wasn't exhilarated about the large crowd at my first. I wasn't completely depressed by coming in dead last at my second, and was indifferent to coming in mid-pack in my 3rd.

But most of the posts on this forum happen to be about people racing. HalfIM, Marathon, Ultras, Goofy Challenges and such. I start thinking maybe I should race as well. I think it would be so neat to take part in things like the goofy challenge. But then I realize that while I don't hate running anymore I don't love it enough to want to be doing it for a good 4-5 hours, which is how long it would likely take me to finish a marathon.

I originally got into running because I fell in love with watching adventure racing on tv. Now I realize that ain't gonna happen so I'm still working on coming to terms with the fact that I may never race again. In my heart I think I'm fine with that, but it's hard being confronted everyday with people who seem to spend every waking hour thinking about, planning trips for, and training for, a race. That feeling/attitude from my youth of "there's no point in running if you can't run fast" has been transformed into, "what's the point in running if you don't race?". Or in your case, "what's the point in racing if I'm not doing the marathon?".

There's only one anwer to that question, and it's classic dgrant:
If my hobby were stamp collecting, I'd go to a stamp convention.
If my hobby were movies, I'd go to a film festival.
If my hobby were S&M, I'd go to doonst's basement.

My chosen hobby is running, and races are the "jamborees" of my hobby. I just love the vibe of being around like-minded people for a set period of time. I pretty much only run alone, so races give me my social fix. I guess that's why I personally prefer the big races most.

I'm in it for the participation aspect, but since I've already got my running shoes and shorts on, might as well run as fast as I can!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Doonst wrote:
abhainn wrote:I have the same kind of issues, only in my case it involves all races, no matter what length, and injuries aren't what's stopping me. The 3 races I ran in my first year of running, I really could take or leave. I wasn't exhilarated about the large crowd at my first. I wasn't completely depressed by coming in dead last at my second, and was indifferent to coming in mid-pack in my 3rd.

There's only one anwer to that question, and it's classic dgrant:
If my hobby were stamp collecting, I'd go to a stamp convention.
If my hobby were movies, I'd go to a film festival.
If my hobby were S&M, I'd go to doonst's basement.

My chosen hobby is running, and races are the "jamborees" of my hobby. I just love the vibe of being around like-minded people for a set period of time. I pretty much only run alone, so races give me my social fix. I guess that's why I personally prefer the big races most.

I'm in it for the participation aspect, but since I've already got my running shoes and shorts on, might as well run as fast as I can!

Andrea...if you don't enjoy racing but you think you might like hanging out at races might I suggest you invent an "alter ego" 8) 8) :wink:

That's how Hula Girl got invented...I wanted to hang out with some of my friends who are triathletes at their races but no darn way I was sliding over and becoming a Darksider :twisted: Now Hula Girl goes to road races too :D :D

It's just a thought :roll: :roll:

As...for finding the distance that suits you best..each to his own. The race distance I'm in total awe of is the 5km distance...why would anyone want to start a race in full throttle and stay that way for an entire race...I bow down to those people :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm

tils wrote:I don't know why I'm having such a hard time convincing myself to do shorter race distances.
Why is my head trying to tell me that I should be doing half marathons to be a "real runner". I know being a runner has nothing do with times or distances. Is about enjoying it and running in general.
I'm guessing it's because my DH is a marathoner, and triathlete and I see him out there putting in tons of hours of training.

abhainn wrote:most of the posts on this forum happen to be about people racing. HalfIM, Marathon, Ultras, Goofy Challenges and such. I start thinking maybe I should race as well. I think it would be so neat to take part in things like the goofy challenge.
In my heart I think I'm fine with that, but it's hard being confronted everyday with people who seem to spend every waking hour thinking about, planning trips for, and training for, a race. That feeling/attitude from my youth of "there's no point in running if you can't run fast" has been transformed into, "what's the point in running if you don't race?". Or in your case, "what's the point in racing if I'm not doing the marathon?".

'But you are doing more than most people' doesnt comfort when most people we see (or read :wink: ) are doing so much 'more' - it can seem like what we are doing is 'nothing'. I don't have much advice really, since I don't want to accept that my pace is what it is, but working on a goal of speed instead of distance will take as much work.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:31 pm

I can't add much to the excellent answers already posted, except to say, is Usain (sp) Bolt a real runner? :roll:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

An 800 meter race is about the toughest all around race you can likely find. The length of a race has no bearing on the validity of participation.

HarryJacobs
Johnny Miles

Postby HarryJacobs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

I am wrestling with this a bit this year. After coming off a bad year for injuries and Arthritis I am finally been able to get back on the road consistently at the end of October last year. My gaol was to do the edmonton Marathon last year. But it was a no go for running.

While any interst in a full marathon is completely gone, I have decided to settle on 10K as the distance of interest. I am going to move my km up to where I can run a 1/2 if I so choose, but for racing I think I am going to stick with 5 and 10K events.

Harry

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Earlier this year, someone in this forum said that they 'don't feel the need to apologize for not doing marathons". I found this statement incredibly empowering, given that I rather enjoy the chaos and panic of the 5 km event.
As a runner, non-runners will assume you run marathons. Let them assume, and take pride in whatever event you enjoy running in.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

tils
Johnny Miles

Postby tils » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for all the words. I think I just needed to hear them!
10K's and adventure races are the name of the game this year.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the thing you didn’t do than by the ones you did do,so throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

~Mark Twain

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm

bruyère wrote:
dgrant wrote:Sure the people in the office won't say wow as much about a 10K as they do for an "OMG! A marathon! How could you do that???!!!", but people in the running community certainly appreciate a well-run 10K. Whose opinion matters more?

Yes! Well put!

Actually, most of the people I talk to who aren't runners assume a 10K race IS a marathon. ;)

As others have said, do what you like to do.

All distances have their unique challenges. Some people will train harder for 5K and 10K races than others do for marathons. No one is more or less of a real runner unless they are putting that distinction on themselves.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:23 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:Earlier this year, someone in this forum said that they 'don't feel the need to apologize for not doing marathons". I found this statement incredibly empowering, given that I rather enjoy the chaos and panic of the 5 km event.

Does this mean I'll get to see you puke at the finish line of some local races this season....oh joy :D :wink:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:03 pm

I stay away from shorter distance races because they hurt so much :shock: :oops:

We're running for fun: run what you find fun. I'm going to be trying some XC races this year. Totally out of my comfort zone, but I figure I can go out and get crushed without feeling too bad about it. 8)

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:43 pm

After a successful spring and summer of 10K's you could always do a late fall half.

Your overall speed will have more than certainly improved. Your body will most likely feel rested after the shorter recoveries of the 10K. And your mind/spirit will not be burned out after logging all those LSDs.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Jwolf wrote:
bruyère wrote:

Yes! Well put!

Actually, most of the people I talk to who aren't runners assume a 10K race IS a marathon. ;)

As others have said, do what you like to do.

All distances have their unique challenges. Some people will train harder for 5K and 10K races than others do for marathons. No one is more or less of a real runner unless they are putting that distinction on themselves.

I really concur with what Jwolf says here. It resonates true.
For me I have tried almost all distances, except marathon ( that is coming soon... :oops: ) ...and they all have their unique challenges. I can say actually the hardest race I ran last year was a 5K...pretty close to.. :sick:
at the finish line. Not that, that is the goal but when I looked around me the woman that run that race ran it in about 19 minutes...and she was my age!! ( 47) Gotta believe there was quite a bit of training in that....
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
AirForceRunner wrote:Earlier this year, someone in this forum said that they 'don't feel the need to apologize for not doing marathons". I found this statement incredibly empowering, given that I rather enjoy the chaos and panic of the 5 km event.

Does this mean I'll get to see you puke at the finish line of some local races this season....oh joy :D :wink:

Not gonna happen...I'm usually too busy joking with the race marshalls. :lol:
That's my resolution this year...to take running a little more seriously. :cry:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm

bruyère wrote:

Yes! Well put!

not to mention that some folk think a marathon is 10K!

the first and only person you have to convince you are worthy as a runner is yourself. after that you are golden. i have fought this battle in my own head many times. it is refreshing to notice how much the world at large doesn't really care.

are you enjoying yourself? are you challenging yourself? are you healthy? are you enjoying yourself? do you have a balanced life? are you having fun yet?

there you go!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm

seuss wrote:
bruyère wrote:

Yes! Well put!

not to mention that some folk think a marathon is 10K!

the first and only person you have to convince you are worthy as a runner is yourself. after that you are golden. i have fought this battle in my own head many times. it is refreshing to notice how much the world at large doesn't really care.

are you enjoying yourself? are you challenging yourself? are you healthy? are you enjoying yourself? do you have a balanced life? are you having fun yet?

there you go!

AMEN :D :D

Return to “General Running Discussion”