Yay for Saturday!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 am

Wow Holly - you make me feel very lazy :) I have dusted the living room so far and put the dishes away :) Today is a rest day from running. Going to see Hannah Montana the movie with my two favorite little ladies and then off to the dog park with new camera in tow. Tonight I plan to do some work and read a book. 21k LSD for tomorrow.

Have a great day maniacs!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 am

45 minutes on the trainer this morning. Getting out for a ride outside didn't work with the rest of the family activities.

Youngest has gone to a birthday party, eldest is at riding, and I'm heading out to MEC, Running Room, maybe Bushtaka and anywhere else that I can find that I don't normally get to!

Babysitter booked for the evening. Going to find a movie to go to, just not sure which one. Any recommendations?
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sat May 02, 2009 11:29 am

OMG...I feel awful. I spent the entire night puking. Ugh. I was supposed to go for 70K ride with a friend this morning and it was my day to plan the route. I couldn't really call her at 3 am :shock: to tell her that I wasn't riding. So, I emailed her and sent a text messages. However, I worried that she wouldn't get the messages before coming to my house at 6am. So, I set my alarm and got up to meet her at the door. Sure enough she arrived right on time.
Anyway, on top of feeling like crap physically, I was torn emotionally because I let my riding buddy down. It was out of my control but I was still disappointed. I'm going to take it easy today and try to fit in an easy ride tomorrow.
Last edited by a_beacher on Sat May 02, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tallrunner
Tom Longboat

Postby tallrunner » Sat May 02, 2009 11:32 am

39k in just under 3 hours - Last long long run before the Ottawa Marathon. Man was it windy today...everywhere, in almost all directions. Liz and swore a lot today..wowzer. Felt so-so early and then for the last 4k I felt great...going 4 minute pace to 4:10...feeling strong.

Now for brunch somewhere with the girls. Famished.
Tall
Next up:

October 2011 - First 5k in over two years -gulp...

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat May 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Slow & easy 4.5K. Legs are dead after two speed sessions this week plus a tough game last night. I still have some inflammation in my right arch and it pounds on the orthotic. Wonder how 32K will feel tomorrow......
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Sat May 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:5km in 33:33 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Broke out my new 2130's this morning & had great company with Tred Miller. Between the 2120 & 2130, felt identical... except for the extra cushioning from having fresh shoes on :D

Andre is in training
Live to Run; Run to Live.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 pm

prats wrote:Good Luck with the big move heather!

I am going to run about 45minutes today.

Done- 6.5k in 46:33, that is a 7:05 pace, which is my before baby "long run" pace- yay!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Weekly longish run done - 21k probably faster than I should run a long run, but it's nice out and I was having fun at that pace.

In less happy news, we got a call this morning that my father in law is unconscious and in the hospital - the day after he turned 86. This doesn't look too good, and everybody is pretty much bracing for the worst.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sat May 02, 2009 12:16 pm

cgraham wrote:
In less happy news, we got a call this morning that my father in law is unconscious and in the hospital - the day after he turned 86. This doesn't look too good, and everybody is pretty much bracing for the worst.

Oh very sad news! Hang in there!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Erin, great job, congratulations!

Annette, hope you're feeling better and sorry you had to bag your ride. Your training partner will forgive you. Eventually. ;-)

Cgraham, that's hard ... sending good vibes and best wishes to you and yours.

As for me, I'm waiting for lunch to digest and then I'm going to get a run in this afternoon. Hoping to do a longish run at a real LSD pace tomorrow morning, so I need to run sooner than later.
BG

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat May 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Nick wrote:Slow & easy 4.5K. Legs are dead after two speed sessions this week plus a tough game last night. I still have some inflammation in my right arch and it pounds on the orthotic. Wonder how 32K will feel tomorrow......

What pace will you do this 32km and would you like company for about half of it?
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat May 02, 2009 12:22 pm

BG wrote:Erin, great job, congratulations!

Annette, hope you're feeling better and sorry you had to bag your ride. Your training partner will forgive you. Eventually. ;-)

Cgraham, that's hard ... sending good vibes and best wishes to you and yours.

As for me, I'm waiting for lunch to digest and then I'm going to get a run in this afternoon. Hoping to do a longish run at a real LSD pace tomorrow morning, so I need to run sooner than later.

I echo the sentiments from J here for you guys.
Annette I know exactly how you feel... had a rough night too. :(

BG, have a good run!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Day #5 of running for me this week with 6k done in about 42 minutes. I was slow getting out the door, but taking the puppy along helped get me motivated. :D

ETA: P90X Legs, Back & Ab Ripper done!
Last edited by klc on Sat May 02, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat May 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Marg wrote:
Nick wrote:Slow & easy 4.5K. Legs are dead after two speed sessions this week plus a tough game last night. I still have some inflammation in my right arch and it pounds on the orthotic. Wonder how 32K will feel tomorrow......

What pace will you do this 32km and would you like company for about half of it?

Lots of company already. I was going to do the RR Kanata to Bank Street run with another 500 or so people (including one or two Maniacs)!!! Otherwise, yes, the company would have been well received and enjoyed.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat May 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Sending positive thoughts to your family Chris.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Chris, hope things turn around. Sending positive vibes to your and your family.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat May 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Nick wrote:
Marg wrote:

Lots of company already. I was going to do the RR Kanata to Bank Street run with another 500 or so people (including one or two Maniacs)!!! Otherwise, yes, the company would have been well received and enjoyed.

ok ... have fun with that! :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 pm

This morning, DH and I volunteered at a duatholon race in Cumberland -- worked the T-Zone to figure out how it is all done so that we know what we're doing when we try it out in June....

Tomorrow is 32 LSD with a bit of tempo work thrown in... should b fun....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Just in from doing an in-studio live radio interview on "Irun, The Running Show", hosted by Irun magazine editor and newspaer guy Mark Suttcliffe.....was neat being in the same studio where Ottawa's local morning sports talk show is done.....the interview was lots of fun and it was neat to see the radio biz from the inside!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Run26.2 wrote:Just in from doing an in-studio live radio interview on "Irun, The Running Show", hosted by Irun magazine editor and newspaer guy Mark Suttcliffe.....was neat being in the same studio where Ottawa's local morning sports talk show is done.....the interview was lots of fun and it was neat to see the radio biz from the inside!

http://autopod.ca/podcast_audio/chum/12/50/therunningshow-090502.mp3
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm

We did an easy 9km on the local trails this morning, before lots of errands and breakfast out. A productive day so far!

cgraham - thinking of your family.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Sat May 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Long bike and transition run done; 130k in 4h04m followed by a 55 minute 10k run. Felt pretty good today,very encouraging.

Next, get the @#$%^ lawnmower running again! :evil:

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat May 02, 2009 2:10 pm

MINI-T wrote:Blanken, don't know if you should be running 21K AFTER a massage.. (just saying :wink: )

Just getting ready to head out for a brick.... 25 (or so) k ride and a 5K run.

Let's see how the legs deal with that one today :shock:

still a bit achey from the BodyCombat class/run in the pouring rain combo on Thursday night.
I have about 3 hours inbetween so I should be fine, anyways I wouldn't give up a day of running because of just a massage.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat May 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Congrats Prats!!

Out early this morning for a nice 16 km run with BumbleG and Tequila Sheila!! We ran quite a guick pace as they are tapering for the Mississauga Marathon next weekend. The three of us are also signed up for the MudPuppy 10 km run tomorrow in Kitchener.

Now for the foolishness. I know a certain tortoise who is considering running the Mississauga Half-Marathon in order to be there to cheer in his friends when they finish the marathon. His reasoning is that he would run an 18 km LSD that Sunday anyway and he might as well run it to be there for his friends!! Of course two weeks before Mississauga he ran the Country Music Half and four weeks later he has the Deadwoood Half. Would this make him a "Semi Idiot Maniac" ?? :whistle:

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! :wall:

Have a good one folks!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Blanken wrote:
MINI-T wrote:Blanken, don't know if you should be running 21K AFTER a massage.. (just saying :wink: )

Just getting ready to head out for a brick.... 25 (or so) k ride and a 5K run.

Let's see how the legs deal with that one today :shock:

still a bit achey from the BodyCombat class/run in the pouring rain combo on Thursday night.
I have about 3 hours inbetween so I should be fine, anyways I wouldn't give up a day of running because of just a massage.

I think she meant that going for a run after a massage defeats the purpose of the massage... better to do the run first and massage after, and let your muscles rest after! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”