New York City bib #s and wave assignments are up

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

New York City bib #s and wave assignments are up

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:33 pm

I'll be rockin' the first wave/green start ( also known as local competitive men and women) at the NYC marathon.........same as last year.

I ain't local nor competitive but I'll take it.....25 days to go!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Re: New York City bib #s and wave assignments are up

Postby runshorts » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm also wave one, green start - local competitive men and women. Mr. Shorts is wave one, blue start - professional men. Oh my.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:59 am

I have been assigned to General Start#1. I am not sure what that means in terms of colour etc... but it feels like it is the Thundering Hordes category. Not sure I am happy--wanted to run with the 3:15 marathoners.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Postby runshorts » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:09 am

canalrunner wrote:I have been assigned to General Start#1. I am not sure what that means in terms of colour etc... but it feels like it is the Thundering Hordes category. Not sure I am happy--wanted to run with the 3:15 marathoners.

You probably are running with the 3.15 marathoners. What's your bib # - that will tell you which color start in wave 1. I'm assuming blue if you gave 3.15 as your finish time.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 am

runshorts wrote:
canalrunner wrote:I have been assigned to General Start#1. I am not sure what that means in terms of colour etc... but it feels like it is the Thundering Hordes category. Not sure I am happy--wanted to run with the 3:15 marathoners.

You probably are running with the 3.15 marathoners. What's your bib # - that will tell you which color start in wave 1. I'm assuming blue if you gave 3.15 as your finish time.

It is 8899. Still looking for the bib number interpretation info on the web site. The one link doesn't seem to do it for me.
2016 Races

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Postby runshorts » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 am

canalrunner wrote:
runshorts wrote:

It is 8899. Still looking for the bib number interpretation info on the web site. The one link doesn't seem to do it for me.

Yup, blue wave - professional men. Check out page 33 of the official handbook - mine was sent in the mail, but there is one online.

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Hmmm....DH's bib # is 28337, which (he thinks) puts him towards the back of the Wave 2, 10am start. That seems awfully far back for someone who predicted a 3:55 finish.

Then again, he seems mighty confused by how the website explains the bib #/wave/corral system...Might have to consult the handbook.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm

JLA wrote:Hmmm....DH's bib # is 28337, which (he thinks) puts him towards the back of the Wave 2, 10am start. That seems awfully far back for someone who predicted a 3:55 finish.

That is about the middle of the field, which seems about right. Median finish time at New York is around 4 hours.

There is also a difference in the male/female starts (something about the bridge and the yellow rain...)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Jwolf wrote:That is about the middle of the field, which seems about right. Median finish time at New York is around 4 hours.

& the median "estimated finish" time would probably be about 3:45, therefore a 3:55 would be seeded slightly back of halfway.

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 pm

ian wrote:
Jwolf wrote:That is about the middle of the field, which seems about right. Median finish time at New York is around 4 hours.

& the median "estimated finish" time would probably be about 3:45, therefore a 3:55 would be seeded slightly back of halfway.

Interesting. I'm surprised by how low the median finish and estimated finish times are - it seems like a race that a huge portion of the field runs as a kind of glorified sightseeing tour.

Last year I (optimistically, pre-stress fracture) put an estimated 3:40 time, which got me in the first wave, about halfway back. I was surprised by how much further back hubby was, even though his est. finish time wasn't that much slower.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:12 pm

JLA wrote:
ian wrote:

Interesting. I'm surprised by how low the median finish and estimated finish times are - it seems like a race that a huge portion of the field runs as a kind of glorified sightseeing tour.

Close to 30,000 people get in by "guaranteed entry." Not all of those are qualifiers, of course (other guaranteed entries are locals who volunteer for NYRR, those with charity entires, corporate, etc.), but there are a lot of qualifiers. And the qualifying times for all age categories but veteran women is 4:00 or under.

I guess it is true that "huge portion of the field runs as a kind of glorified sightseeing tour". But even if that "huge portion" is 15,000 people, there are still 25,000 or so others who are more serious entries (I'm not sure what the actual number are, but the point is it attracts a very large number of runners who are 4:00-marathoners or better).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

Just downloaded my registration card that I need to pick up my race kit....no mail out card this year....everyone gets it via email.....13 days to go!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Got mine too. Wave 1. Blue Wave. Corral 8.
Even checked the ever so accurate 15 day forecast (aka guy with a dart board) and it is calling for great weather: sunday. 10 to 20 degrees. Great for spectators and pretty good for runners, although I ran the Toronto Good life half, yesterday, and all the time I was thinking: this should be the weather for New York.
Now, tonight I have the job of picking the Broadway play for Friday night. For some reason my wife wants to see Jude Law in Hamlet.
2016 Races

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 am

I will be in New York for the race...unfortunately not to run, but hey at least I get to cheer! For anyone heading down early, lululemon athletica SoHo is hosting an evening with Matt Long, founder of the I WILL Foundation on Wednesday, Oct 28th. 8 - 10pm Matt was featured in Runner's World a few months back and is amazingly inspirational.

http://www.iwillfoundation.com/
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Return to “General Running Discussion”