Boston Marathon qualifying articles

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Boston Marathon qualifying articles

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:24 pm

RayMan wrote:Since the BAA (1897) has been around longer than the NBA (1946), I think their practice of allowing BQ times to be valid for 19 months is equally "fair" and simply part of the sport.

But qualifying times weren't used until the 80's. :)

Not that that makes it any more or less fair.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't think the issue is whether the rules themselves are fair, but in how the rules are applied. There is a difference, espcially since a rule change will affect a lot of people who already think they have qualified and for whatever reason (no access to computer, didn't think it would sell out, or hadn't run their BQ marathon yet) are hanging in limbo between the old qualifying rules and the new ones.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm

La wrote:I don't think the issue is whether the rules themselves are fair, but in how the rules are applied. There is a difference, espcially since a rule change will affect a lot of people who already think they have qualified and for whatever reason (no access to computer, didn't think it would sell out, or hadn't run their BQ marathon yet) are hanging in limbo between the old qualifying rules and the new ones.

That's not what the comment above was about, though.

Someone had written that they didn't think it would be "fair" in the past to be able to use the same BQ marathon for two Boston entries, even though it was allowed by the past rules and many people did this.

I agree with you that the BAA will likely be looking for fairness in how they apply the rules for 2012-- fairness to those that think they have already qualified.

Anyway, I just hope they decide already, because it may make a difference in whether or not I decide to try for a spring marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:Anyway, I just hope they decide already, because it may make a difference in whether or not I decide to try for a spring marathon.

They will communicate the new BQ standards in mid-january - (that is what BAA announced before Christmas)
It is coming soon...
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm

RayMan wrote:
mcshame wrote:I don't know what Ray is complaining about ;) I have a valid complaint!

Ha ha but to get back to the topic of "fair", I played against a guy that was 6'11" and the ease with which he dunked a ball didn't seem "fair" to me. I could dunk with reckless abandon if that rim was just 6 inches lower!

Since the BAA (1897) has been around longer than the NBA (1946), I think their practice of allowing BQ times to be valid for 19 months is equally "fair" and simply part of the sport.

I guess we should get rid of the three point line, forget the shot clock (remember the North Carolina 4 corner offence of the late 1970's) and start hammering up the peach baskets. The qualifying period that allowed a fall marathon to be used for two Bostons might have made sense when there wasn't a one day sell out but now that there is, it is time to evolve the rules. IMHO Those that are running Boston 2011 based on their 2010 BQ and their ability to register the day it was open, should not be able to use the same time for 2012 regardless of other rules changes they make. If I had a fall 2010 BQ time, I would be thinking about a 2011 marathon to reaffirm that BQ if I wanted to run Boston 2012. There may be slam dunks in basketball, but till there is an announcement there are no slam dunks for existing BQ times.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Still waiting for this supposed announcement. For my own interest as well as for a friend who is attempting to qualify in a couple weeks.

To add fuel to the fire, another friend (female, in my age group) got this email back from the BAA last month when she asked about possible BQ time changes:

Dear __
The qualifying times for the 2012 Marathon are not expected to change. The qualifying window for 2012 is from September 25th 2010 until we reach our entrant maximum.

Good luck with your running endeavors and thank you for your interest in the Boston Marathon,
Sincerely,

Boston Athletic Association
Registration

Totally contradicts what it says in the article, which came out around the same time.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 am

Jwolf wrote:Still waiting for this supposed announcement. For my own interest as well as for a friend who is attempting to qualify in a couple weeks.

To add fuel to the fire, another friend (female, in my age group) got this email back from the BAA last month when she asked about possible BQ time changes:

Dear __
The qualifying times for the 2012 Marathon are not expected to change. The qualifying window for 2012 is from September 25th 2010 until we reach our entrant maximum.

Good luck with your running endeavors and thank you for your interest in the Boston Marathon,
Sincerely,

Registration

Totally contradicts what it says in the article, which came out around the same time.

Thats weird. How do they know when they reached the "entrant maximum" if the entry page doesn't open until after too many people have qualifying times (ie sept 2011)?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 am

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Still waiting for this supposed announcement. For my own interest as well as for a friend who is attempting to qualify in a couple weeks.

Dear __

Sincerely,

Registration

Thats weird. How do they know when they reached the "entrant maximum" if the entry page doesn't open until after too many people have qualifying times (ie sept 2011)?

They just mean that the window is "open" until they sell out, just as it has been in every other year. They don't count people who have qualified, just people that register. Every year there a lot more people that run qualifying times than are interested in actually running Boston.

This email doesn't say anything about possible changes in registration that could come up, though. This person that got it seemed pretty confident that she knew what time she was training for this spring, though.

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Further to an inquiry I had made, I just received this note from the BAA:

Registration information for the 2012 Boston Marathon will be posted on our site the first week in February.

I thought some of you might want to know - If you do like I do and go on their website every half hour or so.... :roll:
www.itsmyrun.com

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 pm

LadyV wrote:I thought some of you might want to know - If you do like I do and go on their website every half hour or so.... :roll:

Good to know you are too, now I can slack off to every hour or so ;)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I heard through the grapevine that they might be coming out with "Boston Qualifier" jackets......does anyone know if this is true? If so, that would already make me happy, as, running a BQ is what I really care about.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Strider wrote:
LadyV wrote:I thought some of you might want to know - If you do like I do and go on their website every half hour or so.... :roll:

Good to know you are too, now I can slack off to every hour or so ;)

LOL! I'm not quite as obsessive, but I have been waiting keenly for this announcement for the reasons I stated above. I hope this is good news for my friend running a marathon next week. I will wait till they make the announcement to decide if I'm running a spring marathon... just don't tell my coach who already told me not to. ;)

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:03 pm

PinkLady wrote:I heard through the grapevine that they might be coming out with "Boston Qualifier" jackets......does anyone know if this is true? If so, that would already make me happy, as, running a BQ is what I really care about.

there's a link to 'qualifier' clothing in the Boston 2011 thread:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 pm

LadyV wrote:Further to an inquiry I had made, I just received this note from the BAA:

Registration information for the 2012 Boston Marathon will be posted on our site the first week in February.

I thought some of you might want to know - If you do like I do and go on their website every half hour or so.... :roll:

No holding your breath please people:
Things have been a big delayed. The information will be there by the end of the month.
Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,

Registration Office
One Ash Street
Hopkinton, MA 01748
508-435-6905
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:38 pm

:evil:
But the more we wait the more I think BQ times will not change...they are probably negociating with various towns to increase the number of runners...
www.itsmyrun.com

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Well, that's good news for a friend who is trying to qualify in on Feb 19. My other friend who ran on Jan 31 didn't make his time anyway. :(

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:Well, that's good news for a friend who is trying to qualify in on Feb 19. My other friend who ran on Jan 31 didn't make his time anyway. :(

Keep us posted on that friend running on Feb 19!
www.itsmyrun.com

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Now that the thrill of my bq has worn off, I'm back to the position of not really that interested in this race.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:18 pm

OK - time to revive this thread, yet again, :lol:
I apologize for being so obsessed about this topic - I rarely post so many times in one thread :roll:
now, word on the street is http://www.runnersworld.com/community/f ... -street/.0 this Matt guy is apparently well connected

so the latest rumor is: lottery system plus BQ times adjusted for some age groups...no details yet...it is just fun to spread the rumor 8)
www.itsmyrun.com

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 pm

The comments are priceless.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Blech!

What a stupid idea.

Changes the whole meaning of qualifying.

Maybe I don't want to do this after all.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Don't believe rumors with no substantiation. We don't even know what lottery means in this case (I.e., who will be able to enter) or if it's a real thing.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I just wish they would get on with it. There are only so many options. Some will like it. Some won't. Whatever IT is? It is four months since they knew there was a huge problem with the one day sell-out. It is not like a change in qualfiying times or process would have come as a new idea even then. More likely they should have used the opportunity of the "crisis" to do something. They should just make the decision.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Jwolf wrote:Don't believe rumors with no substantiation. We don't even know what lottery means in this case (I.e., who will be able to enter) or if it's a real thing.

If there is a lottery, what would seem to make sense is that only those who BQ can enter the lottery, which may be prefereable to the mad rush on opening day. I think that would be reasonable.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 pm

erinmcd wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Don't believe rumors with no substantiation. We don't even know what lottery means in this case (I.e., who will be able to enter) or if it's a real thing.

If there is a lottery, what would seem to make sense is that only those who BQ can enter the lottery, which may be prefereable to the mad rush on opening day. I think that would be reasonable.

It might be interesting if they had a lottery for anyone who has run a BQ time within the qualifying window (whatever that ends up being) and that if you don't get in, you automatically get in for the following year without re-qualifying.

Though from the comments I've read (mostly on RW, but some here) people's enthusiasm for Boston is starting to wane, it seems. You know, the whole "oh it's too popular now so I don't want to run it" story. :roll: ;)

Return to “General Running Discussion”