Joint instruction of a clinic.....

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Joint instruction of a clinic.....

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:18 pm

So, looks like I'm teaching the next half clinic (it's the only way I get my runs in, so, it works well for me!).....but, I'm teaching it jointly.

Anyone else have experience in that? I want to make sure both the other instructor and I are on the same page about everything......any tips/guidelines?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Joint instruction of a clinic.....

Postby IronColl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Can you set up a coffee date with them and figure it out? Maybe divide the topics so you can teach those that you are most passionate about?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:42 pm

If you are not married to them, you will be fine.

Some pre-planning and division of topics is a great idea. Inviting Andy as a guest speaker would be another one.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 pm

canalrunner wrote:If you are not married to them, you will be fine.

LOL!!

I've never done it but it sounds like the best of both worlds. I've often been interested in clinic-leading, but having to be there every week three times was always a bit onerous. So in addition to dividing up the clinic talks, you should also talk about when one or both of you might be away and what dates would otherwise need to be covered.

Also decide who is responsible for making which routes and communication issues (i.e., communicating with clinic members by email, etc.).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

hed
Percy Williams

Postby hed » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I have done it, and really like it. It takes some pressure off in case you can't make a few runs. We both tried to come every run, but when we couldn't, there was always the other person there.

Clear expectations are the most important part - chat before the clinic about how you are going to run things (who is going to speak, book speakers and when, and how you want to conduct the actual runs) and I think you'll be fine. In my experience, most RR clinic instructors seem to be nice, easy going people.

Have fun!
Harry Spring Run Off
Yonge St. 10k
Midsummer Night's 15k
Longboat 10k
Zoo Run 10k
Run for the Toad
Scotia Half

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:00 pm

IronColl wrote:Can you set up a coffee date with them and figure it out? Maybe divide the topics so you can teach those that you are most passionate about?

I've done it, and this is exactly what I did - sat down in a coffee shop, decided which dates would cover what topics, and decided who would take care of which weeks.

When it came to the runs themselves, we always took lead and rear (decided before any participants arrived who would do which) and had our group leaders in between. Of course we just did LTR so the runs and routes weren't complicated.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Yep, same advice. I coinstructed with Rune and that's what we did. He had, of course, done it before, so had more input. We each picked topics, and discussed (sometimes) what would be said/covered. We also had lots of guest speakers. And, of course, we both went out on the group runs.

Basically, exactly the same as what Gnu said.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 pm

cool, thanks - we've both taught this clinic before, and, he was one of my group leaders, so, I think we have very similar ideas.

The only catch is that he's teaching another clinic until about 4 weeks into this - but, it's a different night. It does mean that I'll be "flying solo" for the Wed/Sun runs (although, he'll be there, but, teaching another clinic).

thanks!
i run for me.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Wanted to wish you luck! Great advice above about outlining expectations ahead of time. I taught the 10k and Half clinics (at different times, of course) jointly and it was soooo great for the clinic talks and covering each other off when someone was away. Also, we always alternated where we ran so that we ran with everyone in the group as often as possible so that people felt like they got individual attention. (in our half, there were 72 people!!!! YIKES)

ETA: only 37 finished the clinic to the end though...
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

langjo
Percy Williams

Postby langjo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 pm

I've taught the marathon clinic a few times on my own and twice as co-instructor. Our division of responsibilities were a bit different than what's been mentioned. I did "inside" and she did "outside". This means I did all the talks and the emails, and she did the training schedule, routes, details of track work, etc. We backed each other up and covered whenever necessary. This worked well for us because it played to our individual strengths and preferences.

So... I told them what to do and she told them where to go.

John
40 marathons and counting.....

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:19 pm

langjo wrote:I've taught the marathon clinic a few times on my own and twice as co-instructor. Our division of responsibilities were a bit different than what's been mentioned. I did "inside" and she did "outside". This means I did all the talks and the emails, and she did the training schedule, routes, details of track work, etc. We backed each other up and covered whenever necessary. This worked well for us because it played to our individual strengths and preferences.

John

hmm...I think I like this a lot more!

I'm going to run it by my instructing partner!
i run for me.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Irongirl wrote:
langjo wrote:I've taught the marathon clinic a few times on my own and twice as co-instructor. Our division of responsibilities were a bit different than what's been mentioned. I did "inside" and she did "outside". This means I did all the talks and the emails, and she did the training schedule, routes, details of track work, etc. We backed each other up and covered whenever necessary. This worked well for us because it played to our individual strengths and preferences.

John

hmm...I think I like this a lot more!

I'm going to run it by my instructing partner!

I like that idea as well. I'd be totally in for sharing a clinic if it were divided that way and I was the outside person! (Not that I'm considering leading any more clinics.)
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of something else...

Perhaps it should be "co-instruction"? ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Jwolf wrote:Every time I see the title of this thread I think of something else...
You BC people...

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Every time I see the title of this thread I think of something else...
You BC people...

Me too!! Knee joints, right? :D

Was going to suggest Glucosamine.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 am

langjo wrote:

:lol:

Return to “General Running Discussion”