New to Toronto

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

och

New to Toronto

Postby och » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 am

Hi,
I have recently moved to Toronto from Europe, so not used to your cold winters. I have a couple of questions.
1. What does everyone do during the freezing winters?! Hit the gym/treadmill for a few months? Or brave the outdoors and try and run in the snow?
2. Is there a list of running clubs in Toronto? Or could someone recommend a good club for a semi-beginner (running on and off for the last 2 years), who want to get more into running?

Thanks!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: New to Toronto

Postby erinmcd » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:07 am

Welcome to Canada & Running Mania!

I can't help you with clubs in Toronto, but for your other question about running in the winter- there's nothing like running in the snow! The first few minutes are always chilly, but after that it's fine. Often the roads and sidewalks are bare enough to wear regular shoes, but sometimes you'll need some traction. Trail shoes are good, or putting sheet metal screws into your shoes works really well too. There are also some slip over traction things that you can buy- can't rememeber what they're called, but Mountain Equipment Co-op sells them (and if you're new to TO, you need to get to MEC!).
Just keep up your running now as it's getting chillier, and add layers as it gets colder- pretty soon you'll figure out what works for you.
Have fun! :D
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 am

You can always run with a local Running Room Store on Wednesday nights or Sunday mornings.

Some of the clubs in Toronto I am aware of:

Sunnybrook Park area - xsnrg.org
Central area - Longboat Runners - www.longboatroadrunners.com
West Toronto / Etobicoke - westtorontopacers.com

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:43 am

Welcome to Canada! Toronto is a really great running city, especially in the winter.

One big factor is the area of the city you're in. Down near the lake you'll rarely deal with snow/traction issues, but on some days the wind can be very tough. The further you are from the lake the colder and snowier it'll be. Some great locations:

- High Park because you'll be running mainly in circles, so you won't have a nasty headwind for long periods. Beautiful park, and if there's no snow you can even find some nice off-pavement trails in there. Quite safe for solitary running too.

- Taylor Creek Park is in a fairly deep ravine so it is sheltered from the wind. It doesn't get cleared at all though, so in snowy conditions it's unusable. Pretty secluded, so keep that in mind for solitary running if it's a concern.

- Martin Goodman Trail is the main multi-use path that runs the length of the city along the lakeshore. You'll see lots of runners and the city does a pretty good job of clearing snow. Fairly busy and visible, so quite safe at all times. Very harsh winds sometimes.

- The Leslie St Spit (aka Tommy Thompson Park) is a man-made peninsula jutting out into Lake Ontario. In snowy conditions it's great because it is plowed by the city but is closed to vehicles on weekends. Just know this is the most wind-exposed place to run in the city.

Have fun! Such a nice place.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am

1. What does everyone do during the freezing winters?! Hit the gym/treadmill for a few months? Or brave the outdoors and try and run in the snow?

Outdoors unless there is freezing rain actively falling.

2. Is there a list of running clubs in Toronto? Or could someone recommend a good club for a semi-beginner (running on and off for the last 2 years), who want to get more into running?

What part of the city are you in? You don't have to give an address, just a general area.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:08 am

Welcome to Canada and to RM!

I've been removed from Toronto for about 15yrs now (now in Vancouver), so I can't think of to many places to go to, but I can suggest a few others that from what I can remember biking along.

- Close to Taylor Creek Park that dgrant suggest is the Don Valley Trail system. I've hike & bike this area, it's secluded and in a valley for the most part. But it is near the highway so sometimes it can get noisy. Here are a couple of links I found in my searches. Also be cautious, you do share the trails with cyclist.
http://www.trca.on.ca/protect/watersheds/don-river/walk-the-don.dot
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/maps/easyTrailBikeMount1.html

- In the northwest part of Toronto (formerly Etobicoke) there is Centennial Park, I do recall a trail system in place there to, but that could have changed.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Depending on where you live, I'd recommend going to one of the Running Rooms or other running stores that offer clinics or groups. The Running Room has free group runs but the clinics might be a good choice for you. They will also help you with clothing choices and get you more motivated to run outside. I was also a "semi-beginner" when I joined my first running clinic here in Vancouver at the Running Room. Although our winters are quite different, I only ever ran indoors in the winter before joining in with them. I used to live in a place where the climate was similar to Toronto, and only ever ran indoors in the winter-- if I had had a running group to go to like the Running Room I'm sure I would have been more motivated to venture outside.

I still do about half of my winter running indoors on a treadmill when I'm running alone.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 am

Greetings och.

I moved over here from Ireland in Jan 2010 and had the same concerns about outdoor running - I really feared having to do treadmill work all winter.
I actually had a thread called "Canadian Running Newbie"- I'm sure its still up here somewhere if you search - I asked a bit about clothing, races etc.
I've now trained through two winters here and I think I was only prevented from going out running a handful of times, and that was more to do with slippery surfaces due to rain on top of snow rather than the cold.

Agree with all of the above posts - continue to add layers as it gets colder. Really, Jan and Feb will be the harshest in terms of cold (based on my limited experience).

Other pieces of advice that I would have if outdoor running is:
- If doing a long run, consider running a loop (think of your running course as a circle with your home in the middle), rather than an out and back (or else do a short out and back), that way you're never too far from home - you can get cold quite quickly;
- Bring some cash for a taxi and also bring your cellphone - helpful in worst case scenario;

I like the Martin Goodman/ Waterfront trail, and it is cleared of snow in the winter (unlike some other trails), however the wind exposure can really be something horrid.

As previous posters have said, there is nothing quite like the crunch of the snow underfoot on an early Saturday morning run - blue skies, sun shining. Awesome.

och

Postby och » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful. It's not the snow itself that I'm worried about, have run in that a few times. It's the sub-freezing temperatures I'm not used too! Anyway, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

BJH wrote:What part of the city are you in? You don't have to give an address, just a general area.

I basically live at Queen and Roncesvalles. So I've been running in high park and on the waterfront. Nice to know I should be able to keep that up through the winter.

erinmcd wrote:Mountain Equipment Co-op sells them (and if you're new to TO, you need to get to MEC!).

I've heard a lot about MEC! It's my girlfriends favourite store!

Killerz wrote:I moved over here from Ireland in Jan 2010 and had the same concerns about outdoor running - I really feared having to do treadmill work all winter.
I actually had a thread called "Canadian Running Newbie"- I'm sure its still up here somewhere if you search - I asked a bit about clothing, races etc.

I'm irish too, hope you're getting on well in Toronto. I'll check out your the thread you started, cheers.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 pm

och wrote:
Killerz wrote:I moved over here from Ireland in Jan 2010 and had the same concerns about outdoor running - I really feared having to do treadmill work all winter.

I'm irish too, hope you're getting on well in Toronto. I'll check out your the thread you started, cheers.
Here's the thread.

Welcome!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Welcome! :D

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I basically live at Queen and Roncesvalles. So I've been running in high park and on the waterfront. Nice to know I should be able to keep that up through the winter.

There's a Running Room on the north side of Bloor, just west of the Park. You can try there to find some folks to run with and/or some clinics.

You can also try Runners Shop or Longboat Roadrunners.

Any of those should be pretty convenient.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:06 pm

och wrote:I'm irish too, hope you're getting on well in Toronto. I'll check out your the thread you started, cheers.

Another one of the green army arrives in Toronto! Welcome!

RA. wrote:
och wrote:

Here's the thread.

Welcome!

Just had a read through that - brings back memories! Everyone is so helpful!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Mount Pleasant Graveyard. Seriously. It's a beautiful, historical place to run. Just check the hours the gate opens and closes.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Go for a bike ride!
At least that is what I would do here in Montreal, QC (just 500km east of you)
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Welcome to Toronto!

I live near High Park Boulevard and Parkside, so we are almost neighbours. Not much else to add to the previous post. I run in almost any kind of weather, and I really enjoy winter running. Only loads of ice and snow stop me because I tend to get injured.

Another great area for running is the Humber Trail. It's nice rolling terrain. You can access it from the Waterfront trail just after the Humber foot bridge. I don't think it is plowed in the winter though.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Welcome to Canada.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Welcome to RM and to Canada,EH! :lol:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Welcome! I find November a hard month to run outside due to the drizzle and greyness. But once real winter rolls around I try to get out at least once a week. Where I live we have very high winds through the year which are especially bad in the winter so I do end up on the TM a lot. It makes spring all the nicer! I also struggle less with the cold and more with finding daylight time to run during the week. I don't like the dark/slippery combo. But I'm a bit of a wimp. I will make an effort to run in at least one blizzard every winter, just so I can feel hard core. :)

(And really, is no one going to comment on Toronto winters? Edmonton people? Another East Coaster? No one??)

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 pm

(And really, is no one going to comment on Toronto winters? Edmonton people? Another East Coaster? No one??)

^#(^
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

DougG wrote:

^#(^

Ok, I will. :lol:

You want real winter come to northern Alberta, or go to Winnipeg, or visit Regina. Toronto doesn't have real winter.
(running for cover now) :D! :p
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Welcome to Canada :D I love running in the winter, especially on really cold, bright sunny days. The only thing that keeps me inside on the treadmill is if the sidewalks / roads get too icy. As others have suggested, I would hit your local Running Room. Joining one of their clinics would be a great way to meet people and also get tips on what to wear outside for winter running. Believe it or not, my biggest problem on winter runs is over dressing. I run in layers of clothing, but usually end up shedding a few once I get heated up. I would also suggest a balaclava, great for keeping the cold & wind out of your face.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
DougG wrote:

^#(^

You want real winter come to northern Alberta, or go to Winnipeg, or visit Regina. Toronto doesn't have real winter.

no if you want a real winter, come to Vancouver.

oh wait, we don't have winter.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:24 am

Welcome to Canada, eh. ;)

ultraslacker wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
DougG wrote:

^#(^

no if you want a real winter, come to Vancouver.

oh wait, we don't have winter.

:-$ ;)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

och

Postby och » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 am

babysteps wrote:Welcome! I find November a hard month to run outside due to the drizzle and greyness.

I'm irish. I thrive in drizzle and greyness!!

Bebette wrote:Another great area for running is the Humber Trail. It's nice rolling terrain. You can access it from the Waterfront trail just after the Humber foot bridge. I don't think it is plowed in the winter though.

Yep, I've been out there a few times, nice area. Thanks!

Return to “General Running Discussion”