Scotia 21.1K Montreal - registered, Not done
My first race sine April 2012: Defi Gerard Coté - May 2013 - 5K - 25:41
Others to be added

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: two deaths at Philadelphia marathon

Postby Irongirl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:25 pm

very sad.

My co-instructor for my current clinic ran it today. I have to say that having FB updates is reassuring so that I'm not wondering if it was him. :(

This is a weird paragraph:

"Unlike some other marathons, the Philadelphia Marathon "is open to all competitors" as participants do not have to have a qualifying time to enter, according to the race's website. But officially, all must register in advance to participate."
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 am

It's very sad, 21 yo and 40 yo males. Way too young. :(

This report it said that temperatures are warmer than usual although I wouldn't think these temperatures should have had a huge effect. :?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 68379.html
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am

That's very sad :(

It wasn't that hot, just 16oC but some people were overdressed since it was cooler in the morning maybe that didn't help but I don't think that would be a cause of death there are usually prior heart conditions and such for these people...

My condolences to the families of the runners.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 pm

I was shocked to hear about this later in the day yesterday.

I did not see any runners struggling but my wife did see one lady wobbling as she came in.

Dr. S is right about the temperatures. It should not have made a difference. It was cool when I started and warm when I finished but there was a breeze at that point so it still did not feel that hot and it was not humid.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:22 am

Just read on FB that one of the runners who passed away was a friend and training partner of one of my friends ... and, just missed qualifying this year in IMUSA for KONA by a minute or so .. :shock: :(

Clifton Park man dies in Philadelphia Marathon
November 21, 2011 4:52 PM
CBS6 Staff
PHILADELPHIA -- 40-year-old G. Chris Gleason of Clifton Park has been identified as the second of two runners who passed away during the Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday.

Gleason was an attorney at The Rose Law Firm in Albany. In a statement, Keith B. Rose said, "We are profoundly saddened by the death of Chris Gleason. His greatest love was for his wife, Jennyfer and his family. Our hearts go out to them. Chris was an extraordinary attorney. He was my partner for many years. He will be greatly missed."

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office tells CBS6 that Gleason's official cause of death is pending additional lab tests, which will take several weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.cbs6albany.com/articles/phil ... z1eRLWZy3E
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 am

Very sad :(

Irongirl wrote:This is a weird paragraph:

"Unlike some other marathons, the Philadelphia Marathon "is open to all competitors" as participants do not have to have a qualifying time to enter, according to the race's website. But officially, all must register in advance to participate."

Just giving context to the non-runner, suggesting that these deaths might be from untrained athletes. I agree it's awkwardly written though - comes out more confusing than something I would write.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 am

fingerboy wrote:Very sad :(

Just giving context to the non-runner, suggesting that these deaths might be from untrained athletes. I agree it's awkwardly written though - comes out more confusing than something I would write.

It really should just say, "Unlike the Boston Marathon..." Which other marathons (esp. in the US) require qualifying times?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 am

La wrote:
fingerboy wrote:Very sad :(

It really should just say, "Unlike the Boston Marathon..." Which other marathons (esp. in the US) require qualifying times?

Gansett (http://www.gansettmarathon.com/) and Fukuoka are the only ones that come to mind. Awkwardly written indeed.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

I did see one of those four-wheeler medical carts come screaming past the Museum from the first half of the course. I could see a horizontal pair of legs sticking out but nothing else. This would have been close to the 3 hour mark...so probably not a "fast" runner. And may not even have been one of these two poor souls. I had finished my half and was watching from the Rocky steps at the time.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “General Running Discussion”