2012 Boston Marathon Tracking Thread

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Re: 2012 Boston Marathon Tracking Thread

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm

I've talked to one runners who mentionned that people were taking their timing chip off so to not be tracked to be able to get in next year. :(
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 pm

ChrisL wrote:I've talked to one runners who mentionned that people were taking their timing chip off so to not be tracked to be able to get in next year. :(

Wow- you mean they ran but officially deferred? That's crappy (and essentially banditting)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Habs
Not sure if you were following her or not. Just checked the results, and our friend Chantel finished in net time 0f 3:51:18, and gun time of 3:56:29.
Considering what she has gone thru lately with her Dad passing and all, I hope that she will be happy with this.
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:13 pm

@35K
Lisa - 4:07:37

@40K
Robin - 4:24:47
Sylvie - 4:37:08

Finished ....
CinC's DH: 3:44:03
Mark (canal runner) - 3:47:47
Alain - 4:14:17
DJHL - 4:36:53
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Mouse wrote:Habs
Not sure if you were following her or not. Just checked the results, and our friend Chantel finished in net time 0f 3:51:18, and gun time of 3:56:29.
Considering what she has gone thru lately with her Dad passing and all, I hope that she will be happy with this.
Mouse

I was tracking her, thanks Mouse. I think she did great.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ChrisL wrote:I've talked to one runners who mentionned that people were taking their timing chip off so to not be tracked to be able to get in next year. :(

Wow- you mean they ran but officially deferred? That's crappy (and essentially banditting)
Well it's gaming the system but I wouldn't go so far as to call it banditing - they paid their fees didn't they?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Well it's gaming the system but I wouldn't go so far as to call it banditing - they paid their fees didn't they?

They deferred, though, in order to maintain their spot for next year. That means they DNSed.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

@35K
Lisa - 4:07:37

@40K

Finished ....
Robin - 4:39:03

YAY ROBIN!!!!!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Go sylvie, go Lisa.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

They deferred, though, in order to maintain their spot for next year. That means they DNSed.
I understand that but I'm still ambivalent. They paid a bunch of money to be there, they paid their full, non-refundable (I'm sure) race fees and I'm really not sure who's getting hurt here.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

i guess it depends on your definition of banditing (and i suppose this situation is pretty unusual). a quick search google says "A bandit in a race is any person that runs the course and makes use of the race support but has not paid for the right to be there". by that definition, as joe dwarf said, they're not bandits because they paid to be there and they'll pay to be there again next year.

(not that i agree with what they did, at all - i just wouldn't technically call it banditing).

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I understand that but I'm still ambivalent. They paid a bunch of money to be there, they paid their full, non-refundable (I'm sure) race fees and I'm really not sure who's getting hurt here.

but they're taking a spot from someone else for next year's race. that's the person who is getting hurt. it's one thing to defer, but i don't think it's fair to run the race twice.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:30 pm

deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

i guess it depends on your definition of banditing (and i suppose this situation is pretty unusual). a quick search google says "A bandit in a race is any person that runs the course and makes use of the race support but has not paid for the right to be there". by that definition, as joe dwarf said, they're not bandits because they paid to be there and they'll pay to be there again next year.

(not that i agree with what they did, at all - i just wouldn't technically call it banditing).

If banditing isn't the word, they we need a slimier one. :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:31 pm

@40K
Lisa - 4:45:41

Finished ....

Almost there, Sylvie and Lisa!!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I think this will be easily solved by asking people to send their bib back for confirmation, no chip, no pass.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for the regular updates, Jenn. I can't leave my computer 'til they're all safely finished.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

If this indeed the case, and a lot of them, it will be interesting to see what the RD will do about it ... If anyone who had officially deferred their registration to 2013, and happens to wear their bib and cross the finish line, or not ... and happen to have gotten a photo of themselves taken, they could probably do some some sort of search to match and DQ/BAN them for 2013 .... :twisted: :twisted:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:39 pm

[quote="Jwolf"]@40K
Lisa - 4:45:41

Finished ....
Sylvie - 4:54:19

YAY Sylvie

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:39 pm

It is brutal out there. I've talked to a few runners, and this has not been enjoyable. One guy from South Africa said that this was the worst condition ever for him. Another one saw a couple of runners falling and cutting thier head open, and in my way to my hotel room, I saw 2 stretchers taking people OUT of the hotel after they finish (delayed reaction I guess). I was on the escallator with one; the guy had done 54 marathons his wife said, he was not having any fun. The ambulance sirens are going continually now.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:39 pm

RE: Banditting (or not)

With apologies, what exactly are these people doing? They start the race, then remove their time chips? How would that make them deferred to next year? Wouldn't they be recorded as DNFs? Or do DNFs automatically get in for next year?

Also, congrats to everyone who ran!!
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:40 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

If this indeed the case, and a lot of them, it will be interesting to see what the RD will do about it ... If anyone who had officially deferred their registration to 2013, and happens to wear their bib and cross the finish line, or not ... and happen to have gotten a photo of themselves taken, they could probably do some some sort of search to match and DQ/BAN them for 2013 .... :twisted: :twisted:

I think its banditing by any definition. If you've deferred, you're not an entrant. Full stop. Running the race makes you a bandit.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:40 pm

deerdree wrote:but they're taking a spot from someone else for next year's race. that's the person who is getting hurt. it's one thing to defer, but i don't think it's fair to run the race twice.
I suppose. The person who is theoretically losing their spot would lose it whether or not the pseudo-banditer ran the course though. So really people are just miffed that they get to run the course twice on one qualifying time, even in horrible conditions and with no official time.

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I am relieved that the two runners from Guelph who run with my husband have finished safely :) :) .
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3
Guelph Lake I Sprint Triathlon - June 22
Peterborough Sprint Triathlon - July 6
Iron Girl Canada Triathlon - August 10
Guelph Lake II Sprint Triathlon - Aug 30

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

The easiest solution would be to ask people to send their bib back with the chip to BAA, no bib, no pass.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I think its banditing by any definition. If you've deferred, you're not an entrant. Full stop. Running the race makes you a bandit.

Exactly.

Return to “General Running Discussion”