Race Too Popular = CANCELLED / POSTPONED

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am

This is a first .... Race Cancelled / Postponed -- Due to being too popular .... :shock: :roll: :? :wink:

Runners stranded by delay of half-marathon
Lack of notice, refunds touch off complaints

By Jon Harris
News Staff Reporter
Updated: June 23, 2012, 7:58 AM

Darin Johnson paid $75 to register, $180 for air fare and used vacation time to clear his schedule.

All this, for the Rapid Running Buffalo Half-Marathon, which was scheduled for next Saturday in Orchard Park.

But on Thursday — nine days before the race — Rapid Running announced the half-marathon would be postponed and rescheduled.

The reason: too many people registered for the race and no way of handling them.

Now, Johnson and other runners who registered for the race, which featured a finish at the 50-yard line of Ralph Wilson Stadium, are left wondering whether their money will be refunded and if they signed up for a real event or a scam.

“The whole thing is pretty frustrating,” said Johnson, a New York City resident originally from Springville. “I can’t take back the vacation time” — or air fare, which he would have had to cancel 14 days in advance.

So Johnson, 32, is still making the trip home — but without participating in the race with a group of friends.

“The interest in this inaugural race has far exceeded our expectations,” Rapid Running President David Mason said in a news release sent Thursday to those who registered. “Although the need to reschedule this event is unfortunate, our registration numbers are astonishing, and this will allow those numbers to grow even more.”

The release also said event coordinators are anticipating a running of the half-marathon in the fall.

Later Friday, Mason said there would be no refunds, that participants’ fees could be applied to a rescheduled race or another event sponsored by Rapid Running.

But there are a few problems with Rapid Running’s reasoning, several who registered for the race said when contacted Friday.

They said the event was poorly managed and registration could have been cut off. And if there was a problem with over-registration, Rapid Running officials should have known long before Thursday — nine days away from race day.

They also suggested holding the race in the fall could pose a conflict with the Bills season under way and the finish line in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

“I would be absolutely shocked if they run the race,” Johnson said. “There’s no way I’ll be able to in the fall.”

The Buffalo Niagara Sports Commission, a subsidiary of Visit Buffalo Niagara, said in a statement Friday that it was “deeply disappointed” that the half-marathon had been postponed.

“In the interest of maintaining our community’s stellar reputation for hosting amateur athletic events, we have strongly urged Rapid Running President Dave Mason to refund or otherwise compensate registrants,” said Dottie Gallagher-Cohen, Visit Buffalo Niagara president and CEO. “We regret any inconvenience and disappointment the postponement has caused.”

Derek Johnson, 34, who is Darin Johnson’s older brother, spent $91.99 to register for the event online and plans to dispute the charge because he paid with a credit card.

He said he suspects the half-marathon did not get enough sponsors and is need of money. In the news release sent to participants, Rapid Running asked anyone interested in signing on as a sponsor to send an email.

And for Rapid Running to say the race is postponed because of over-registration is “absolutely a lie,” said Derek, of Springville.

New York City resident Kim Barnashuk, 26, paid $75 to register for the race in January. The Orchard Park native then booked a $100 flight two months ago and took vacation time three months ago.

She said she was planning on running with a group of about 20 people and even had costumes for the race.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/southern-erie/article916963.ece
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Re: Race Too Popular = CANCELLED / POSTPONED

Postby phorunner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 am

Yikes.

If everyone who signed up for it was from /b/, this RD would have a very bad time... :lol:

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

Apparently back on with a different organization.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article920689.ece
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 am

Idiots. They should have waited until the day before the race, cancelled it because of the heat, and they would have been lauded as HEROES for protecting runner safety.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 am

purdy65 wrote:Apparently back on with a different organization.

glad to read this update!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 am

deerdree wrote:

definitely.

Maybe the first post should be modified to reflect the update.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am

Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:

definitely.

It's still a different race ...

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Race Director .. And, interesting to see if the people will be able to get a refund via their respective Credit Card companies if they had registered online to dispute the charges, as the services/products was not provided / delivered, as advertised ??? :?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Apparently the RD has vanished, and the website and facebook pages taken down. Saw this on the news. (we get the Buffalo news here in TO)

It is a different race, but free to those who provide proof of registration to the Rapid Running event.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 pm

purdy65 wrote:Apparently the RD has vanished, and the website and facebook pages taken down. Saw this on the news. (we get the Buffalo news here in TO)

It is a different race, but free to those who provide proof of registration to the Rapid Running event.

I commend the new RD on that decision!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:

definitely.

It's still a different race ...

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Race Director .. And, interesting to see if the people will be able to get a refund via their respective Credit Card companies if they had registered online to dispute the charges, as the services/products was not provided / delivered, as advertised ??? :?

Free HM! (Or, they could re-donate their refunded CC fees to whatever charity they saw fit)

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Also, it's a bit of a misleading media spin to say that the race was canceled because it was "too popular". It was cancelled because of poor planning on the part of the original race director.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Jwolf wrote:Also, it's a bit of a misleading media spin to say that the race was canceled because it was "too popular". It was cancelled because of poor planning on the part of the original race director.

It will be interesting to follow the follow-up from the original media posting ... as the RD may have been scamming everyone, from the get ... :what: :what:

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

700 registered doesn't suggest too popular to handle.

The story of the new half marathon emerging feels like a flash mob half marathon. Love it. Kudos to the Bills and Orchard Park. Making lemonade out of a big lemon. Makes you want to participate just to show support. Given the challenges I imagine runners will be tolerant of any issues and may want to carry water and gels just in case the new normal of water stations every 2-3k isn't happening.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 pm

As the great Yogi Berra once said when asked about a particular eating establishment..."nobody goes there any more 'cuz it's too crowded"........or something like that :roll:
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 am

Sounds like a planned scam and I believe should be reported by MSM (main stream media) as such. The fact is that this guy targeted runners to steal money. It's a wonder more of this hasn't happened as we really do put are trust in race directors to deliver the product they offer. Its sad, but now-a-days scams for our money are all too common.

Turd, I agree if this "RD" knew anything about racing he would cancel the day before and blame weather (too hot / too cold, too windy, rain lol). It seems many runners are all accepting of the excuses to cancel or cut short races these days.

I will give a BIG shout out to all the Ontario Ultra Race directors. They go rain or shine, heat or cold. I love how Niagara, one of the hottest races of the year give sweatshirt hoodies. I have 4 of those now and love to wear them, but its usually late August nights before I can wear it.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:51 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:
purdy65 wrote:Apparently the RD has vanished, and the website and facebook pages taken down. Saw this on the news. (we get the Buffalo news here in TO)

I commend the new RD on that decision!

This is good. Initially I had read that there was free registation to those who ran the Buffalo Half Marathon, which didn't provide any solution.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “General Running Discussion”