Muggy Monday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Muggy Monday

Postby ratherawkward » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 am

After a few days off, went out at 6am for what turned into only 6k, rather than the 8 I was aiming for. I felt like I was running through soup! There was a lot more walking involved than usual, but at least I got it done.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: Muggy Monday

Postby Hammie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:42 am

10k done in beautiful weather
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:44 am

Good morning!

A great workout this morning. 10.5K with 6x 250 meter hills, then I headed to a flat area and did 8X 30s strides. Then I headed to the fitness room to do some stretching and strength work. Probably not enough though... :?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:10 am

actually felt un-muggy for the first time in days! easy 7.5 km done before the tough return to work after a week off.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 am

Muggy for sure, with more rain and/or thunderstorms to come over the next few days. Sigh... It would be nice to have a few days with no rain so that everything would have a chance to dry out a little bit. Rain is good for the lawn and the garden, but I'm not sure they really need THIS much water! Anyway, today was an indoor work out day, 20 minutes on the elliptical followed by upper body weights. I need to get back into the routine of doing weights and core work at home.

Busy day at work so that's all I've got! Have a good day, everyone. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

A nice swim this morning- I felt fast because the pool was 25 yards instead of 25 metres, so 10% shorter. :) When I convert to real units I did about 1600m in 45 min.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 am

The heat wave broke here, so I got out for my long run this morning. 8k in an hour with lots of walk breaks, but it went better than expected given my lack of running lately. 23C felt much better than the 33C yesterday!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 am

got out for a nice 10 km run this morning - it was humid...but got it done!
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 am

10km planned for lunch and depending how energetic I am feeling after work will likely go to the cardio kick class :) Three more days of work until vacation!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 am

Brutally humid this morning. It was like breathing water. Ran for an hour anyway. Now to find some air-conditioned place to get some work done.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 am

Taking a break today for the sake of my knee after this weekend.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Yes, the mugginess really did me in today, too. I did just over 4k in the warm, soupy air.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Question of the day: The Highs and Lows of Grass refers to...
(A) A book about suburban landscaping
(B) A conference talk I heard last month about General Relativity in Affine Spatial Slices
(C) The title of the soon-to-be-released Cheech and Chong movie
(D) This morning's hilly 18K trail run

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 pm

ian wrote:Question of the day: The Highs and Lows of Grass refers to...
(B) A conference talk I heard last month about General Relativity in Affine Spatial Slices

"I'll take 'Grass' for 200, Alex."

:lol:

What is, "This morning's hilly 18K trail run?"
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I know its not (B) because title does not conform to the mandatory "Semi-witty phrase: Dry description of presentation" pattern of academic talks
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Muggy Monday

Postby marymac442 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Did 1500 m at Kits Pool this morning, it was so gorgeous I didn't want to come to work... But I did :(
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm

turd ferguson wrote:... title does not conform to the mandatory "Semi-witty phrase: Dry description of presentation" pattern of academic talks

Looking at my CV, I found only one example: "Atoms' Eve: Is nuclear energy in our future?" Maybe most theoretical physicists aren't witty enough to try for even a veneer of levity.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:47 pm

ian wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:... title does not conform to the mandatory "Semi-witty phrase: Dry description of presentation" pattern of academic talks

Looking at my CV, I found only one example: "Atoms' Eve: Is nuclear energy in our future?" Maybe most theoretical physicists aren't witty enough to try for even a veneer of levity.

A terrible pun counts for two.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:52 pm

12 Km. Very nice here in the early morning.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:35 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:

Best presentation ever... A pathologist I worked for did a short, rather vague presentation for the weekly departmental "Completed Case" review, then asked the attendees to identify the tissues they were looking at, the possible disease, and a treatment. They all made guesses; none were correct. They were slides made of earthworms with contact dermatitis. (It actually wiped out a large business that provided worms for fishing. Not only that, they were "Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of Worms".)

[/hijack]

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm

jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:

Best presentation ever... A pathologist I worked for did a short, rather vague presentation for the weekly departmental "Completed Case" review, then asked the attendees to identify the tissues they were looking at, the possible disease, and a treatment. They all made guesses; none were correct. They were slides made of earthworms with contact dermatitis. (It actually wiped out a large business that provided worms for fishing. Not only that, they were "Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of Worms".)

[/hijack]

Is that a real thing? I thought that was just an ad on WKRP.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:37 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:

[/hijack]

Red Wigglers are for real. They're the type most commonly used for vermicomposting, at least around here. (At least, that's what I was told when I had a worm-bin setup a few years ago.)

Edit: Here's a link. (http://www.worm-composting.ca/?wpsc-pro ... post-worms)
Last edited by jgore on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 pm

e) Got a cookie?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:

[/hijack]

Red Wigglers are for real. They're the type most commonly used for vermicomposting, at least around here. (At least, that's what I was told when I had a worm-bin setup a few years ago.)

I know red wigglers are real - it was the Cadillac of Worms part that I thought was fictional.

http://youtu.be/sUYOzZqQcpk

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:50 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
jgore wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:

[/hijack]

I know red wigglers are real - it was the Cadillac of Worms part that I thought was fictional.

http://youtu.be/sUYOzZqQcpk

Oh. Yes, that's just a WKRP thing.

Return to “General Running Discussion”