Bill Crothers

Sprinter doping scandal widens

Postby MrBond » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:41 pm

"You're in over your head Donny..."

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Sprinter doping scandal widens

Postby dgrant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm

I can feel some empathy for Tyson Gay. Injuries really cost him so much, so I could see how he might view a little injury recovery "boost" as a victimless crime... Stealing back what was stolen from him. Doesn't make it okay, but doesn't make him a bad person either.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

i wonder if someone had some money on the wc?

astafa powell cheating seems really senseless.... i mean maybe if he's going for masters records.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 am

shorter list is probably who isn't cheating....

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 am

richie-rich wrote:shorter list is probably who isn't cheating....

Yes. 9.79* pretty much convinced me that Dick Pound was right - they're all doped, no other way to compete in sprinting at this level.

jon
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:06 am

I don't think any of them are bad people. I just don't think any of them at this level are truly clean either.

Disappointed but not surprised. How could anyone be surprised by a positive test in this sport?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I don't think any of them are bad people. I just don't think any of them at this level are truly clean either.

Disappointed but not surprised. How could anyone be surprised by a positive test in this sport?

I still want to believe in Usain Bolt. Apart from his performances, I don't see any red flags... physique, scandalous coaches, maintaining top performance after major injury or advanced age, etc... Fingers crossed anyway.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm

dgrant wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I don't think any of them are bad people. I just don't think any of them at this level are truly clean either.

I still want to believe in Usain Bolt. Apart from his performances, I don't see any red flags... physique, scandalous coaches, maintaining top performance after major injury or advanced age, etc... Fingers crossed anyway.

The only red flag for Bolt is that he wins (usually by outrageous margins). These days, that's probably the biggest red flag there is.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm

dgrant wrote:

That's exactly the same way I felt about Lance! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
dgrant wrote:

The only red flag for Bolt is that he wins (usually by outrageous margins). These days, that's probably the biggest red flag there is.

Definitely the fact he's running .1s faster than anyone ever is a red flag.

The other red flag for Bolt is the one Lance had - his teammates and buddies started going down to doping charges.

He also has links to a guy that doped up Marion Jones (Angel Hernandez)... just like Lance had links to Dr. Ferrari.
http://tenpercentorless.blogspot.ca/201 ... emist.html

Red flags, not concrete proof, but it starts to paint a picture.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 pm

jonovision_man wrote:The other red flag for Bolt is the one Lance had - his teammates and buddies started going down to doping charges.

He also has links to a guy that doped up Marion Jones (Angel Hernandez)... just like Lance had links to Dr. Ferrari.

I don't see much in there other than a blogger speculating about a relationship and saying "I heard it through the grapevine". Not really on the same level as Lance having actual associates come out and say "I personally saw him do ____" or testify to knowledge under oath.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:06 am

I thought this article was interesting. It talks about going after the people around the athlete, not just the athlete himself/herself. I think this is an important point. Too often athletes are the only ones who take the fall, while their dirty coaches/agents/entourages are allowed to continue in the sport. It also makes me wonder- so often you hear about athletes who say they never knowingly took anything. How possible is that, really? If I were a high-profile athlete, I would be really vigilant about anything given to me by my coach, asking about what's in that massage oil, etc. I'm not taking the blame off them, exactly, and I'm not sure I believe that they are "unknowing". However, I do believe the coaches/agents need to be taking more responsibility in the whole mess.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 am

QuickChick wrote:I thought this article was interesting. It talks about going after the people around the athlete, not just the athlete himself/herself. I think this is an important point. Too often athletes are the only ones who take the fall, while their dirty coaches/agents/entourages are allowed to continue in the sport. It also makes me wonder- so often you hear about athletes who say they never knowingly took anything. How possible is that, really? If I were a high-profile athlete, I would be really vigilant about anything given to me by my coach, asking about what's in that massage oil, etc. I'm not taking the blame off them, exactly, and I'm not sure I believe that they are "unknowing". However, I do believe the coaches/agents need to be taking more responsibility in the whole mess.

Some of the athletes aren't that smart about these things (they'll just take whatever the coach/trainer/doctor tells them to take as a "recovery supplement" or whatever). They will "assume" that the coach hasn't given them anything that will give a positive drug test, but many are always pushing the limits.

Also the athletes are essentially coached to say that they weren't aware of what they were taking or didn't knowingly take anything illegal, whether or not its true.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 am

Yeah I figured that, it sounds really insincere. I do believe Ben Johnson was a victim of a dirty team- I've heard multiple reports of his, let's say, malleable mind and how he really isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I guess it just seems like you'd REALLY have to be a dull knife to be that clueless.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am

I think it was only a matter of time ... now that they were victorius in the cycling world (i.e. Lance) , it is only fitting that they continue their work in the Track & Field, in particular, Sprinters .... :twisted: :twisted:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

dgrant wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:The other red flag for Bolt is the one Lance had - his teammates and buddies started going down to doping charges.

I don't see much in there other than a blogger speculating about a relationship and saying "I heard it through the grapevine". Not really on the same level as Lance having actual associates come out and say "I personally saw him do ____" or testify to knowledge under oath.

Could be a bit speculative... not just a blogger, though, it's repeated in a lot of media outlets. But hey, Lance's link to Dr. Ferrari was considered speculative at first too, until it wasn't.

jono
Visit my blog!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm

What's interesting with the Jamaican athletes that got caught (Powell and Sherone Simpson) is that they got caught with a banned stimulant. (People often assume steroids or maybe blood boosters.) It's not even clear that the stimulant gave them a competitive advantage. Some people think that the stimulants are "safer" and shouldn't be banned in the same way that steroids are. I disagree because they can be dangerous to the heart and expected use will encourage abuse. There could be threshold acceptable levels of some substances, though. Apparently, many athletes take them and just know (or think they know) how long they need to clear the system.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah I figured that, it sounds really insincere. I do believe Ben Johnson was a victim of a dirty team- I've heard multiple reports of his, let's say, malleable mind and how he really isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I guess it just seems like you'd REALLY have to be a dull knife to be that clueless.

That's how I feel about Ben Johnson.
I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news about his doping...standing at reception at KPMG...greeting a client. We were all stunned at the news....and very sad.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Donovan Bailey is in favour of a zero-tolerance approach; Ato Boldon doesn't think all of these stimulants found in supplements should be banned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23322223

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:Donovan Bailey is in favour of a zero-tolerance approach; Ato Boldon doesn't think all of these stimulants found in supplements should be banned.

I have no idea what Boldon is actually saying from a few contextless quotes, it sounds more like he's expressing sympathy for people who have inadvertent positives from undisclosed ingredients in supplements as opposed to Bailey's zero-tolerance even for inadvertent ingestion.

In any event, I'm with Bolden on this one. It seems that current rules have done a better job of catching athletes inadvertently taking the wrong kind of sudafed or supplement than they have at catching persistent doping programs.

My SIL was in China earlier this year for a tournament and they were under instructions to eat nothing they didn't bring with them - six days of energy bars and pasta from home - because of the unreliability of the local food supply and the likelihood of steroids in local meat.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 pm

turd ferguson wrote:My SIL was in China earlier this year for a tournament and they were under instructions to eat nothing they didn't bring with them - six days of energy bars and pasta from home - because of the unreliability of the local food supply and the likelihood of steroids in local meat.

I would think that warning would apply to any travelling competitive athlete. I don't see anything wrong with having to bring your own supplements.

Boldon is essentially saying, "Why should we ban these things that are rampant in supplements and everyone is using them?" I disagree. When he talks about "pushing the limits of their supplements" he's talking about finding things that have performance enhancing effects in so-called "natural" preparations.

It's no as if these athletes took the stuff "inadvertently". They knew it was there, knew it was banned, but thought it wouldn't be detected or would be out of their system in time for the test.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Donovan Bailey is in favour of a zero-tolerance approach; Ato Boldon doesn't think all of these stimulants found in supplements should be banned.

I have no idea what Boldon is actually saying from a few contextless quotes, it sounds more like he's expressing sympathy for people who have inadvertent positives from undisclosed ingredients in supplements as opposed to Bailey's zero-tolerance even for inadvertent ingestion.

In any event, I'm with Bolden on this one. It seems that current rules have done a better job of catching athletes inadvertently taking the wrong kind of sudafed or supplement than they have at catching persistent doping programs.

My SIL was in China earlier this year for a tournament and they were under instructions to eat nothing they didn't bring with them - six days of energy bars and pasta from home - because of the unreliability of the local food supply and the likelihood of steroids in local meat.

I probably should know this...but what tournament was your SIL participating in.
Heck..I won't even feed my dog treats made in China...I can understand these instructions.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I probably should know this...but what tournament was your SIL participating in.
Heck..I won't even feed my dog treats made in China...I can understand these instructions.

Rugby 7s - I don't know which tournament.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:14 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

Rugby 7s - I don't know which tournament.

Okay...now I remember...and I should...I know someone in Kingston who's worked a lot with the women's National Rugby Team (Carla is an Athletic Therapist).

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I remember Silken Laumann having trouble reading labels on cold medication and cross referencing them with the banned substances list.... or blaming someone else for that.
That incident was very quickly forgotten.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Return to “General Running Discussion”