Music While Running

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Re: Music While Running

Postby OLRunner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Mostly anything by Avantasia, Edguy, Stratovarius, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Eluvietie, Nightwish (with Tarja), Sirenia, Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes, Rammstein, Therion, Linkin Park, AC/DC, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne, of course.
...plus disco :oops:
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 pm

ultraslacker wrote:you don't find Feist too mellow? I think I'd start walking. :lol:
I like mellow stuff. I particularly like things like Feist that in no way are going to influence your cadence. If I have something with a hard beat that is just a bit off my natural cadence, I tend to drift towards that.

My running mix is eclectic. I put in on shuffle, so it will switch from Feist to Alabama Shakes to Paul Simon to White Stripes to Radiohead to Guns 'n' Roses to John Lee Hooker to Ben Folds... you get the picture.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:30 pm

As with many I'm all over the place, although there's Trapped under Ice and The Four Horsemen from Kill em All...as well as a few from Ride the Lightening, Black Album and One. There's only a few from Master of Puppets I like enough to run to. They're mostly for in the car. Ye who doesn't love Metallica Sanitarium need new ears.

There's also Stan Rogers, Gordon Lightfoot, Ashley McIssiac, Marc Cohn, Coldplay, G&R, ACDC, Toto, Simple Minds, Til Tuesday, Motley Crew etc etc etc. If I'm in need of a "kick start" on a long run, Kick Start My Heart has me sprinting.

I keep two groups on the ipod, one called everything they other running which I transfer in and out songs that have fell out of favor with me. I try and keep 3hrs worth on it, I figure on long days I can handle a repeat of some songs. I had a long drawn out live version of American Woman by The Guess Who come on when I was in a bad place on a very long run one day last summer. I came home and took every Guess Who song off the running list, and I've still not listened to them. :)
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

skinnybopper71
Percy Williams

Postby skinnybopper71 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Wow what a thread....!!...very good insight on other runners....I've actually started listening to Avenged Sevenfold while running.....heard Hail to the King on the radio at work too much lately and wanted to learn it on guitar and stumbled upon their other stuff.....!!

Ernest from Dah Soo !

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 am

Wow, I can actually contribute to this thread now that I've run with music twice! Which means that I actually can't contribute anything useful. ;) It was a bit of a last minute decision to use DH's old iPod a couple of weeks ago and while I was getting ready, he loaded all the music I had purchased from iTunes, which was only about 1.5 hours worth, and is a mix of golden oldies and some belly dance stuff. It was enough to get me through. For the second time, I took a very quick look at the music DH has on our server, and just grabbed some favorite songs from a few artists that I like. So now I have almost 4 hours (I think) of a pretty random mix. Which I put on shuffle. Having music was a good distraction from the tedium of running inside, and the weird randomness was kind of fun.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 am

I can't run on the tm without music - it's agonizing! Thankfully my tm has speakers (ear phones drive me nuts). I listen to a mix of stuff, often quite mellow. I'm a bit too high energy sometimes, so the quiet stuff calms me :).

I rarely listen to music outside, even on long runs. I prefer to be aware of the surrounding sounds and lose myself in my thoughts. BUT today I'm going to pass the miles w/ Jim Cuddy and Blue Rodeo because I'm going to see them in concert tonight! Can't wait!!! I've had the biggest crush on Jim since I was in my early 20s :). Be still my heart...
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:21 pm

alexk wrote:I rarely listen to music outside, even on long runs. I prefer to be aware of the surrounding sounds and lose myself in my thoughts. BUT today I'm going to pass the miles w/ Jim Cuddy and Blue Rodeo because I'm going to see them in concert tonight! Can't wait!!! I've had the biggest crush on Jim since I was in my early 20s :). Be still my heart...

He lives in my neighbourhood. I saw him coming out of the local cheese shop a while back.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:35 pm

I missed them when they were here... which sucks! I love blue rodeo.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

La wrote:
alexk wrote:I rarely listen to music outside, even on long runs. I prefer to be aware of the surrounding sounds and lose myself in my thoughts. BUT today I'm going to pass the miles w/ Jim Cuddy and Blue Rodeo because I'm going to see them in concert tonight! Can't wait!!! I've had the biggest crush on Jim since I was in my early 20s :). Be still my heart...

He lives in my neighbourhood. I saw him coming out of the local cheese shop a while back.

I met Cuddy once or twice at the Horseshoe. We were there to see the Skydiggers, one of whom is one of my SIL's best good friends. Cuddy was there to sing with them.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 pm

jgore wrote:
La wrote:

I met Cuddy once or twice at the Horseshoe. We were there to see the Skydiggers, one of whom is one of my SIL's best good friends. Cuddy was there to sing with them.

I met him at the Stardust Picnic the year Blue Rodeo was completely upstaged by Great Big Sea... :shifty: :lol:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 pm

The pitter-patter of my footsteps. Great tune. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:49 pm

gnu wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:

I met him at the Stardust Picnic the year Blue Rodeo was completely upstaged by Great Big Sea... :shifty: :lol:

I really like Blue Rodeo and I'd love to meet Jim Cuddy. Based on photos, he looks a lot like someone I used to date so it might feel a little weird at first, though. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
gnu wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:

I really like Blue Rodeo and I'd love to meet Jim Cuddy. Based on photos, he looks a lot like someone I used to date so it might feel a little weird at first, though. :)

my Jim Cuddy story
the late summer/fall of 1998 Mr Cuddy was in HMV Rideau Centre (ottawa) promoting release of his first solo album (all in time), Mrs Midge and myself were in the store with our first born ( approx seven months at the time), she behaved wonderfully whilst we were in line for him to sign our copy of his CD until we go to the front, when #1 daughter decided to try and eat the toggle on Mrs Midges hoody, inevitbaly turning blue and choking. Jim to his credit gave her a quick pat on the back (# 1 daughter not Mrs Midge) and bingo we were saved. We still have said signed CD cover, which incidentally was signed by Jim for our girl...Mom and Dad are still fans, # 1 daughter , now being 16 however still gags at the prospect of Jim's music....preferring something called "garage acid house"
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm

La wrote:

Next time I'm in TO, I'll have to stalk that cheese shop :). Love all the stories about about JC! I've seen him in concert several times and my heart always skips a beat when he comes on stage. There's just something about the way he sings those soulful songs...even though I'm 42 and he's almost 60, he makes me feel young, lol.

Last year I had a student who had a great JC story. She was in Cape Breton to see Blue Rodeo and was out walking on a quiet path w/ her husband. Who comes along RUNNING behind them? Jim! She got a photo of them together (and passed it on to me). If faced w/ the same situation, I might have ditched my husband and kept running w/ him - jk, of course! My husband's coming w/ me tonight - he tolerates my two-decade-long crush!!!

Oh and Blue Rodeo and my BF were perfect company on my run today.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:53 pm

alexk wrote: Next time I'm in TO, I'll have to stalk that cheese shop :). Love all the stories about about JC! I've seen him in concert several times and my heart always skips a beat when he comes on stage. There's just something about the way he sings those soulful songs...even though I'm 42 and he's like 60, he makes me feel young, lol.

He just turned 58. Not quite 60 yet. ;)

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

/hijack...

My Jim Cuddy story is that I run/have run with his cousin who lives here in the 'Peg...When he first came out to the WH3 I mentioned to him that he looked a lot like JC from Blue Rodeo (tall, thin, good looking) and that's when he told me they were related. Cool! If JC is at all like his cousin he's a wonderful and kind man ... :lol: 8)

end hijack/
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm

I mostly listen podcasts while running. Lots of mindless sports ones (Bill Simmons, etc) because they're not too distracting and if I zone out I won't really be missing anything important. I can't listen to my favourite podcasts while running... with This American Life there's too high a chance of having to stop to have a good cry, and with Comedy Bang Bang I have had to stop and catch my breath because I was laughing too hard.

I make new playlists every so often for tempo runs. My current one includes:
The Incredible Bongo Band - makes me envision being in a chase scene from The Rockford Files or Streets of San Francisco
Love
White Fence
The Dirtbombs - no man alive can listen to this song without wanting to go out and fistfight a goddamn rhinoceros

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 pm

dgrant wrote:Love
White Fence
The Dirtbombs - no man alive can listen to this song without wanting to go out and fistfight a goddamn rhinoceros

You been hangin' out with Timothy Leary?

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 pm

The last 2 day I have ran to Sam Baker "Pretty World and Van Morrison's "Best of". I think I have about 60 cd's on my IPod touch. I'm like one of the other posters I cannot run on a treadmill without music. It is like getting teeth pulled. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:49 am

jgore wrote:
dgrant wrote:Love
White Fence

You been hangin' out with Timothy Leary?

He doesn't answer my calls anymore. I thought we were friends...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:57 am

I wouldn't know Jim Cuddy if I saw him. No clue what he looks like... just know the sound of his voice. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:19 am

ultraslacker wrote:I wouldn't know Jim Cuddy if I saw him. No clue what he looks like... just know the sound of his voice. :)

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 am

Darth Tater wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I wouldn't know Jim Cuddy if I saw him. No clue what he looks like... just know the sound of his voice. :)

What an image to start my day :). He didn't disappoint - it was an awesome show. I was just 3 rows from the stage and had a perfect view. I was grinning the whole time. His son Devin's band opened for them. Must say, he's pretty cute too!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 am

alexk wrote:What an image to start my day :). He didn't disappoint - it was an awesome show. I was just 3 rows from the stage and had a perfect view. I was grinning the whole time. His son Devin's band opened for them. Must say, he's pretty cute too!

I can relate! When I was in university (or just after, I can't recall), I was cleaning my bathroom when 3 of my friends showed up at my place saying we were going up north to The Commons. This was a bar north of Montreal that had hosted many shows, and it was closing that night. Blue Rodeo was closing it. The show was sold out, but my friends had managed to get 2 tickets. We drove up, with me saying, "but there are four of us! Can't you boys count!?" We got there, and ended up at the front of the line because they ran into old high school friends. Then a doorman came out saying that there had been a no-show and there was one extra ticket. We grabbed it. Then one of my guys went and talked to someone and came back, and my "ticket" was a business card with "one blue rodeo ticket" written on it. We got into this small venue, and sat right in front of the stage. :)

That was my first of many times seeing them, as they did an annual concert on St-Jean-Baptiste day, in St-Sauveur. And one year, because it was my friend's bachelorette weekend, we met him. I just went to find the photo, but I can't. :(

OK... back to your running music talk. :)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Second row floor, Massey Hall, with full-on bronchitis and a fever. I wasn't going to miss that show.

Return to “General Running Discussion”