When is DQ not a DQ ???

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

MrBond
Bill Crothers

When is DQ not a DQ ???

Postby MrBond » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Who runs what here ?
It kinda sounds like various levels of Canadian government...

http://deadspin.com/when-a-famed-nike-c ... socialflow
"You're in over your head Donny..."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: When is DQ not a DQ ???

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm confused. Did they hold hands and walk off the track together after their race, or did they refuse to run the race? It doesn't actually say what they did.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm

sounds like after their race.
but i'm confused by this sentence:
The people who really run the sport had prevailed upon the people who nominally do to change a result in their favor.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

I only checked this thread for the ice cream. :shifty:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

trixiee wrote:sounds like after their race.
The people who really run the sport had prevailed upon the people who nominally do to change a result in their favor.

People who really run the sport == Nike and their affiliated coaches
People who nominally do == volunteer officials

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Basically, there are those whose titles and job descriptions say they are in charge. But the people with the money are the ones with the real influence and power/control.

Yeah, it's a poorly written piece, unfortunately. I look forward to reading more clearly written accounts (and watching the videos, which I can't do here at work because they don't work...)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, Grunewald was reinstated and Salazaar dropped his protest.

There was definitely contact between the runners, and from my point of view Salazaar was acting in the best interests of his athlete.

Here is the flotrack account: http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250992 ... xo2r5hx1TM

Looks like it was after their race, otherwise it would've made bigger headlines.

ETA: this account specifies that it was after the race: http://afastpacedlife.wordpress.com/201 ... -in-3000m/
Last edited by Ironboy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

bruyere wrote:

Basically, there are those whose titles and job descriptions say they are in charge. But the people with the money are the ones with the real influence and power/control.

Yeah, it's a poorly written piece, unfortunately. I look forward to reading more clearly written accounts (and watching the videos, which I can't do here at work because they don't work...)

Very poorly written, I had to read it several times to figure out who was who... finally got it. Also watched the video, the contact was there, but looked pretty incidental/minor.

Grunewald was ultimately re-instated. Seems like a little political squabble within US Track & Field. Good luck to them. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I only checked this thread for the ice cream. :shifty:

Peanut Buster Parfait ? :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:54 pm

too funny

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 pm

MrBond wrote:

Peanut Buster Parfait ? :D

:D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm glad the right call was made in the end. I felt badly for Jordan Hasay, the runner on whose behalf Salazer filed the protest. I would bet lots of money that she had little or nothing to do with the protest, and that it was all Salazar. However, Hasay took a beating on social media. Other athletes were really tough on her, pressuring her to withdraw the protest. When the protest was withdrawn, Salazar said that it was what Hasay had wanted, but again, I'm sure it was all him. I'm sure with her sponsorship and with Salazar as her coach, it would have been really tough to go against what they wanted. I also felt badly for Mary Cain, another (17 year old) Salazar athlete. She won the 1500 and was the only runner to not take place in the protest. Whether or not she agreed with it, she ended up getting lumped into the controversy. Bottom line, Salazar is a DB.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 am

QuickChick wrote:I'm glad the right call was made in the end. I felt badly for Jordan Hasay, the runner on whose behalf Salazer filed the protest. I would bet lots of money that she had little or nothing to do with the protest, and that it was all Salazar. However, Hasay took a beating on social media. Other athletes were really tough on her, pressuring her to withdraw the protest. When the protest was withdrawn, Salazar said that it was what Hasay had wanted, but again, I'm sure it was all him. I'm sure with her sponsorship and with Salazar as her coach, it would have been really tough to go against what they wanted. I also felt badly for Mary Cain, another (17 year old) Salazar athlete. She won the 1500 and was the only runner to not take place in the protest. Whether or not she agreed with it, she ended up getting lumped into the controversy. Bottom line, Salazar is a DB.

This....

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:04 am

QuickChick wrote:Bottom line, Salazar is a DB.
Defensive back? :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”