Boston Marathon -- New Cap Perhaps ??

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 am

Now, that Boston has proved that it can handle a field of 36,000+ this year, and possibility that they will either keep it at this number and/or increase it from the cap of 28,000 from 2013, moving forward ?? :what: :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

I thought they made it pretty clear that this was a one-year special thing and wouldn't be standard. They had to do a lot of things different logistically to increase the field and the towns along the way approved it for one year only.

Note this wasn't the first year they expanded the field to this big- they did it also for the 100th running back in 1996 (over 38,000 registrants). They had no plans to increase the field on a yearly basis after that and even resisted it for this year.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Re: Boston Marathon -- New Cap Perhaps ??

Postby Mid_Packer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:07 pm

I think Boston 2015 will be another tough year to get in. For 2014 there were say 5,000 or so that got the entry since they didn't finish last year. Then there were say 6,000 more due to the deisre to be there. So with typcial 25,000 or so about 11,000 extra this year. Keep in mind that the time cut off to get in was 1:38 below the min qualfiying so there were alot of people who just missed.
I'd expect that the just missed group will press it for this year, once again creating a potential for a cut off below the qualfiying.

Means those that are near the cut point need to either get faster or get into next age catagory.
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

A lot of those extras were extra invitational entries which won't be offered for next year (about 5000). Also, don't forget that for 2013, registration didn't even fill up until into October and no one was cut off who had the qualifying time. I suspect next year's registration will be similar. Yes there is some pent-up demand from that just-missed group, but the overall demand will likely be lower. I've already heard from a few people who were in for both 2013 and 2014 (or some for either) who don't want to go back again right away.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:46 pm

I agree with Jenn: the 2015 registration is likely to be similar to 2013. There are at least 10 people in my various running circles who are fast enough to go any year they want and made a point to run Boston this year only on account of the special circumstances. Whatever happens, I like the system that the BAA has in place and I won't sympathize with anyone who makes a case for their own future inclusion via an "if only they would…" argument.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm

FWIW, I agree with Jenn and Ian. Anecdotally, myself and a number of people I know are saying "that's it for Boston, at least for a while". It will be interesting to see what actually happens, of course. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:FWIW, I agree with Jenn and Ian. Anecdotally, myself and a number of people I know are saying "that's it for Boston, at least for a while". It will be interesting to see what actually happens, of course. :)

I'm saying that too....I'm qualified for 2015 but really don't think I'll be going back....

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 pm

For purely selfish reasons I hope that Jenn and Ian are right! :wink:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

RayMan.2
Percy Williams

Postby RayMan.2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:48 pm

I agree that after two Boston marathon experiences, I was done for a while also. I know there are some record-setters who have gone every year for most of their adult lives, but for a recreational runner like myself, I find just running alone on a pathway through the woods to be equally satisfying.

Having said that, now that I am approaching 50 years old, I would like to go to Boston again in that decade! :D
Training for PEC Half-Marathon - Oct 2014 - Bunny time!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 am

That's a great article that breaks down the qualifying standards/numbers and dispels myths that some people have about how many "unqualified" runners there actually are.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am

La wrote:

That's a great article that breaks down the qualifying standards/numbers and dispels myths that some people have about how many "unqualified" runners there actually are.

Those numbers (approx 22,000 qualifiers and 5000 non-qualifiers) have been transparent for while, and the new numbers for this year were clearly outlined when they expanded the field.

I guess some "myths" do circulate through people who choose to not find out the facts, as with anything.

There also is a myth that all of these non-qualifiers are charity runners - which isn't true since there are also many invitational entries that don't require fundraising.

What was also interesting from the article was the hint at the possible expanding of the field by a few thousand runners.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:FWIW, I agree with Jenn and Ian. Anecdotally, myself and a number of people I know are saying "that's it for Boston, at least for a while". It will be interesting to see what actually happens, of course. :)

I'm saying that too....I'm qualified for 2015 but really don't think I'll be going back....

Sorry to see that but I definitely understand, Robin. For this runner "of a certain age", I will run Boston every year that I can manage to qualify. :)

RayMan.2
Percy Williams

Postby RayMan.2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 am

Ken B wrote: For this runner "of a certain age", I will run Boston every year that I can manage to qualify. :)

Just curious, but why do you want to run it every year? What is it that makes Boston a yearly event for you?
Training for PEC Half-Marathon - Oct 2014 - Bunny time!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:05 am

RayMan.2 wrote:
Ken B wrote: For this runner "of a certain age", I will run Boston every year that I can manage to qualify. :)

Just curious, but why do you want to run it every year? What is it that makes Boston a yearly event for you?

Before I thought that I could even come close to qualifying for Boston, I didn't really think about it. Now that my training has allowed me to aspire to qualify each year, I am using the Boston Qualifying time for my age as a benchmark for my conditioning. But, even more importantly, as last year's event was my first Boston Marathon, it became a rallying point for those of us who were affected. ( At least for me ) Now, it has become, for me, a reward each year for all my training. Each year that I am able to run it, I will consider it a n honour to be able to participate. Even when I am unable to qualify, I will likely volunteer.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 am

Ken B wrote:
RayMan.2 wrote:

Before I thought that I could even come close to qualifying for Boston, I didn't really think about it. Now that my training has allowed me to aspire to qualify each year, I am using the Boston Qualifying time for my age as a benchmark for my conditioning. But, even more importantly, as last year's event was my first Boston Marathon, it became a rallying point for those of us who were affected. ( At least for me ) Now, it has become, for me, a reward each year for all my training. Each year that I am able to run it, I will consider it a n honour to be able to participate. Even when I am unable to qualify, I will likely volunteer.

This is awesome.

Ken- you will always inspire me! :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”