Calgary Marathon keeps 50K ultra

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:12 am

In 2014, the Calgary Marathon added a 50K race to the schedule for the weekend. It was intended to only be held a single year, marking the 50th anniversary of the marathon, but it turned out to be so popular organizers have decided to hold the event again.

Most of the ultramarathon distance will be the same in 2015. The course and qualification system will be the same, but a difference will be a switch to medals from beer steins for finishers.

The 50K road ultramarathon is a great way for newcomers to the distance to try it in an environment similar to they’re used to. It’s on the roads, held alongside a regular marathon and isn’t so far that confident marathoners can’t run the distance.

Last year there were only 500 spaces for runners in the 50K, which sold out by Jan. 1, so if you’re interested in trying yourself at an ultra, look in into registering early.
Last edited by HCcD on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Calgary Marathon keeps 50K ultra

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 am

Ha! I saw that!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 am

Early thoughts:

(1) On May 31, Calgary will be back in conflict with Saskatoon next year.

(2) Next year marks the start of a four year stretch where the 21K in Calgary will serve as the national championship race.

(3) I have no idea what I'll be racing next year. Even if I'm in shape and I choose Calgary, I don't know if I'd want to tackle 50K again; last year was the closest I've been to a blackout in awhile. On the other hand, depending on their elite thresholds, I might get some perqs out of it.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 am

I would have been shocked had they not offered the 50 K option and I suspect it might be an option for a few years at least. Same course, a few extra volunteers and no extra or special road closures to get a few hundred extra runners willing to pay more to run the race. I was reading somewhere that there are double of the number of ultra races in the last few years and aging running population who has run a marathon or three, what better option to run to finish then a 50 K race. It is a different experience but not over whelming.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:29 pm

dear Calgary Marathon, the pretty red swag bag was a very pretty red. But the strings which close it were scraggly from the start. I ignored that because otherwise it was a pretty red. Then, today, I noticed that it is so poorly made that it now has a hole in the bottom. Alas, this caused me to ditch my pretty red bag. So long swag bag.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Spirit wrote:dear Calgary Marathon, the pretty red swag bag was a very pretty red. But the strings which close it were scraggly from the start. I ignored that because otherwise it was a pretty red. Then, today, I noticed that it is so poorly made that it now has a hole in the bottom. Alas, this caused me to ditch my pretty red bag. So long swag bag.

And here I thought I had heard every complaint, legitimate or not one could have about their race but so much for that. I have about ten of them in my basement and so send me some postage and I can mail you a few if you need or want them. At least three are red and still very pretty.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Spirit wrote:dear Calgary Marathon, the pretty red swag bag was a very pretty red. But the strings which close it were scraggly from the start. I ignored that because otherwise it was a pretty red. Then, today, I noticed that it is so poorly made that it now has a hole in the bottom. Alas, this caused me to ditch my pretty red bag. So long swag bag.

I guess you should just come back to get another one. :lol:

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:28 pm

ian wrote:(1) On May 31, Calgary will be back in conflict with Saskatoon next year.

Is this a significant factor in general, or are you just commenting on it personally?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ian wrote:(1) On May 31, Calgary will be back in conflict with Saskatoon next year.

Is this a significant factor in general, or are you just commenting on it personally?

Mostly personal, although there are dozens of others who run some sort of distance in both events when they are a week apart. I've tended to choose Saskatoon during the conflict years, as it was usually the better organized event of the two. Last year's Calgary was an improvement on their previous efforts.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:11 pm

I know I said I'm not running any marathons next year, but technically it isn't a marathon, right?!

I'm tempted.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Hammie wrote:I know I said I'm not running any marathons next year, but technically it isn't a marathon, right?!

I'm tempted.

Gah. in a moment of weakness (and red wine, plus a discount code :P ) I signed up. I'm in for the 50k.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:24 am

Hammie wrote:
Hammie wrote:I know I said I'm not running any marathons next year, but technically it isn't a marathon, right?!

I'm tempted.

Gah. in a moment of weakness (and red wine, plus a discount code :P ) I signed up. I'm in for the 50k.

I saw the discount too, but resisted. :lol:

Return to “General Running Discussion”