Marine Corps Marathon Issues Lifetime Ban to Runner

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Marine Corps Marathon Issues Lifetime Ban to Runner

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Pat29 wrote:...it feels good to have met the standard.

This!

I never intend to go to Boston. But I have qualified twice and definitely told everyone I BQ'd. It was very fun; my ego loved it, dopamine rewards out the wazoo!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:55 am

Spirit wrote:
Pat29 wrote:...it feels good to have met the standard.

This!

I never intend to go to Boston. But I have qualified twice and definitely told everyone I BQ'd. It was very fun; my ego loved it, dopamine rewards out the wazoo!

This +1! Hard to imagine the desperate sort of person who would cheat their way to Boston. Hard to run with the weight of a cheater on their shoulders. It is a sad, shallow and hollow thing. Can it really feel good?

Working towards a goal and then achieving it is awesome whatever it is. Meeting the BQ standard is one thing, running it is a bonus. Bit like the saying about education: it is the journey not the destiny.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:03 pm

canalrunner wrote:Hard to imagine the desperate sort of person who would cheat their way to Boston. Hard to run with the weight of a cheater on their shoulders. It is a sad, shallow and hollow thing. Can it really feel good?

They don't think of it like that, because they just want to run Boston-- the qualifying part is meaningless for them. Many people do it to run with a friend, or whatever.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:12 pm

I still intend to run Boston. I'll take a shot in the spring at taking more time off my qualifying time. If not I will try and register in September with my 2:31 buffer and hope for the best.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Jwolf wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Hard to imagine the desperate sort of person who would cheat their way to Boston. Hard to run with the weight of a cheater on their shoulders. It is a sad, shallow and hollow thing. Can it really feel good?

They don't think of it like that, because they just want to run Boston-- the qualifying part is meaningless for them. Many people do it to run with a friend, or whatever.

Its totally OK not to be motivated by qualifying for Boston. Lots of people buy a charity entry, or get an entry through the title sponsor (Hancock?) or whatever. Qualifying is only one of several ways into Boston. But cheating is still wrong.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:19 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Its totally OK not to be motivated by qualifying for Boston. Lots of people buy a charity entry, or get an entry through the title sponsor (Hancock?) or whatever. Qualifying is only one of several ways into Boston. But cheating is still wrong.

Of course it's still wrong.

I was just trying to explain how they can do it without a guilty conscience.

Or the more general way to say it to them, Boston is not something that needs to be earned. It's wrong and it's cheating and stealing and lying.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 am

There are qualifying spots in Boston and non-qualifying spots. If you cheat your way into a qualifying spot (thereby preventing another qualifier from running), then that's wrong.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Or the more general way to say it to them, Boston is not something that needs to be earned. It's wrong and it's cheating and stealing and lying.

Actually I disagree. I do think it needs to be earned and I include the charity runners in this. They have to fundraise a ton of money for charity in order "to earn" the bib. Isn't it about $4,000. That takes a lot of effort so I have no problem saying they earned their way to run Boston. They raise a ton of money and I don't mind them taking up space. OK there are sponsor bibs...but welcome to America and that's a small sliver. At the end of the day, the core of Boston is the BQ runner, and I think we all agree that cheating to be one is an ugly thing.
2016 Races

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:38 pm

I don't really think we disagree...
I agree with everything you said there.

Not sure how I've been totally misunderstood. :) Anyone who knows me how strongly I feel about the Boston Marathon both for qualifiers and charity runners.

I have nothing against runners who earn their bib through raising money for a charity- in fact I'm considering doing it one day. That also takes a lot of work and dedication - just a different type. That's not really even is relevant here since the cheaters in question took qualifiers' spots. I was simply saying that THEY don't believe it needs to be earned. I don't believe that!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't really think we disagree...
I agree with everything you said there.

Not sure how I've been totally misunderstood. :) Anyone who knows me how strongly I feel about the Boston Marathon both for qualifiers and charity runners.

I have nothing against runners who earn their bib through raising money for a charity- in fact I'm considering doing it one day. That also takes a lot of work and dedication - just a different type. That's not really even is relevant here since the cheaters in question took qualifiers' spots. I was simply saying that THEY don't believe it needs to be earned. I don't believe that!

Understood now. Misread. To sum up, I think we agree that Boston should be earned whether it is through a BQ, raising money a lot of money for charity or being connected to some rich corporate friends (I think on Wall Street they call it insider trading). Happy to donate if you decide to do a charity bib. I have raised money twice for the Boston Foodbank while running as a BQ runner and the two'fer was awesome. Lots of respect for the efforts it takes to raise $4k+ while training for a marathon. Plus you get to have dinner with a whole bunch of people with a Boston accent...like being in a Ben Affleck/ Mark Wahlberg movie. Where are those Southies?
2016 Races

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 pm

canalrunner wrote:Not tough. Fair. Should be done more. In cases where the cheating is parlayed into a BQ or prizes, I am ok with this public shaming. See this different than accidental cheating or meaningless cheating (I am thinking here of the load of NY "marathoners" who don't make the right turn off the bridge and go north and instead walk off the course and end up crossing the finish line and head to their waiting bag checks with very curious splits--in these cases not sure they ever were claiming anything.

This feels like Boston Dad. BTW anyone know if he has run any races since?

Since you asked ... Apparently, he is at it again ?? :shifty:

http://triathleteguru.blogspot.ca/2015/11/did-race-cheat-michael-rossi-attempt-to.html
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:57 pm

(Looking for the "eating popcorn while watching both sides of this controversy embarrass themselves even further" emoticon...)

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm

ian wrote:(Looking for the "eating popcorn while watching both sides of this controversy embarrass themselves even further" emoticon...)

:clap: Make that two popcorns with real butta

Got to say, it would be fun to run with this guy. Would be easy to know whether he was legit. Happy to pay his registration for Race Weekend. He could name the race.
2016 Races

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 am

canalrunner wrote:
ian wrote:(Looking for the "eating popcorn while watching both sides of this controversy embarrass themselves even further" emoticon...)

Got to say, it would be fun to run with this guy. Would be easy to know whether he was legit. Happy to pay his registration for Race Weekend. He could name the race.

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:45 am

canalrunner wrote:

I think it would be fun to find out in advance and secretly run behind him. If you ran with him, he'd likely just feign some type of illness/injury as a way of explaining why he can't run the pace he claims.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “General Running Discussion”