** UPDATED ** I need a Hill Running Buddy!

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

** UPDATED ** I need a Hill Running Buddy!

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:46 am

I'm proud to report that I made it out to the hill last night for my scheduled uphill sprints, but it was pretty nasty! There's something about the geography of that hill and the prevailing winds in Winnipeg that means you're ALWAYS running into the wind going up the hill (on the main road at least... I was too stubborn to realize I could have gone up the back side!).

Anyways, I completed my 2k warm-up, 4 x drills and sprints, 8 x 60 second uphills sprints with (very slow) jog down recovery and 2k cool-down. I was still light out when I finished, but I'm pretty sure that the next time I go it'll be dark, and that has me worried. I'm not wild about that neighbourhood, and in the dark I think it'll be even spookier, especially since there never seem to be many (or any) other runners out there when I'm there. Is there anyone in Winnipeg that would be interested in accompanying me on my next hill run - some time in the week of Nov. 6-10? I'd like to go around 6-6:30pm 'cause that's what meshes with my work schedule that week. I'm also planning another trip out there in the week of Dec. 4-9, but that could be a bit earlier - 5:30pm or so.

Any takers? Dwayne? Anybody?

Or, is there another suitable hill in a less spooky/deserted area? I only need about 200m of uphill-y-ness, and I'd prefer not to have to hit a treadmill.

Thanks for thinking about it.

- Pam
Last edited by Prairiekid on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boston Marathon Finisher, April 21, 2008
Read about my Around the World Adventure at Go See Run Eat Drink

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:05 pm

If I were in Winnipeg I would gladly go with you.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi Pam,

Unfortunately it doesn't look like hills are on my horizon (Mike has me doing some interesting speed work right now)

but is there an OVERPASS near you? That might work.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Re: I need a Hill Running Buddy!

Postby hyajil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Prairiekid wrote:I'm proud to report that I made it out to the hill last night for my scheduled uphill sprints, but it was pretty nasty! There's something about the geography of that hill and the prevailing winds in Winnipeg that means you're ALWAYS running into the wind going up the hill (on the main road at least... I was too stubborn to realize I could have gone up the back side!).

me too!!! I was leaving just before 6 - I thought I saw you coming around the corner!! that wind was VERY nasty last night, but I figured it would make me stronger so I deliberately stayed into the wind for the sprints.

I'd go with you if you like, I wouldn't mind company either. I don't have a training schedule for next week yet, but I don't think Mike would ever object to me doing unscheduled hills. Will you drive or run there?

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:23 pm

hyajil wrote:I'd go with you if you like, I wouldn't mind company either. I don't have a training schedule for next week yet, but I don't think Mike would ever object to me doing unscheduled hills. Will you drive or run there?

I'd drive there from work (Henry waits in the car while I run). I normally warm up by running alongside the hill towards that lumber mill or whatever it is, then turn right and run up to the vehicle gate on the back side of the hill, then back. It's almost exactly 1k there and 1k back.

It's be great if we could get together for this! Or am I the only one who finds it a bit unsettling there sometimes?

- Pam

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Prairiekid wrote:I'd drive there from work (Henry waits in the car while I run). I normally warm up by running alongside the hill towards that lumber mill or whatever it is, then turn right and run up to the vehicle gate on the back side of the hill, then back. It's almost exactly 1k there and 1k back.

It's be great if we could get together for this! Or am I the only one who finds it a bit unsettling there sometimes?

Nope, I find it a bit sketchy there too. I'm sure that there's nothing good happening in the paking lot at the top of the hill, probably more drugs change hand than Size5 prescribes in a week.

Anyway! Maybe I could get a ride with you? I can walk over from my place to MTC and meet you.

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:09 pm

hyajil wrote:Nope, I find it a bit sketchy there too. I'm sure that there's nothing good happening in the paking lot at the top of the hill, probably more drugs change hand than Size5 prescribes in a week.

Anyway! Maybe I could get a ride with you? I can walk over from my place to MTC and meet you.

Yeah - totally sketch. I'd be happy to give you a ride to he hill, and a ride home - but you'll have to share space with Henry!

I'll get in touch again the week before or something.

- Pam

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:37 pm

Prairiekid wrote:
Yeah - totally sketch. I'd be happy to give you a ride to he hill, and a ride home - but you'll have to share space with Henry!

I'll get in touch again the week before or something.

- Pam

Good stuff! Looking forward to it, even the part about sharing space with Henry. :D

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:47 pm

I hate to say this (but I want to say it for your personal safety), but I stopped going to the hill alone when there was a man there who was sort-of stalking me from behind some bushes. He had a camera phone, and a large knife. I cut my run short that day and won't go back without Dwayne or another bodyguard.

Even when Dwayne is around on the hill (and we're not running together), I've had some incidents where weird people will slow down or stop on their bikes as though they're going to try to talk to me. In daylight too!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:I hate to say this (but I want to say it for your personal safety), but I stopped going to the hill alone when there was a man there who was sort-of stalking me from behind some bushes. He had a camera phone, and a large knife. I cut my run short that day and won't go back without Dwayne or another bodyguard.

OMG! :shock:

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:...I stopped going to the hill alone when there was a man there who was sort-of stalking me from behind some bushes. He had a camera phone, and a large knife.

Holy Carp! We definitely need the buddy system Jill!

- Pam

kidsdoc
Percy Williams

Postby kidsdoc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:54 pm

Hey
I have long hill sprints in my schedule right now, and would be happy to hook up with anyone heading to the hill. I am planning on going next Thursday.... afternoon (if by myself) or evening if want to hook up.
Running alone I clip cell phone to back running tights when on hill... I agree it is not the most agreeable. Have done short runs up and over various overpasses... but must be of the shorter variety... not these 120 sec efforts Mike has in my schedule currently.
Fiona
Have fun and give your best.
Kidsdoc

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:00 pm

kidsdoc wrote:Hey
I have long hill sprints in my schedule right now, and would be happy to hook up with anyone heading to the hill. I am planning on going next Thursday.... afternoon (if by myself) or evening if want to hook up.
Running alone I clip cell phone to back running tights when on hill... I agree it is not the most agreeable. Have done short runs up and over various overpasses... but must be of the shorter variety... not these 120 sec efforts Mike has in my schedule currently.
Fiona

Fiona! Nice to hear from you. I wasn't planning on being back at the hill for a few weeks, but when I'm getting ready to go, I'll post something here. Maybe you can join me and Jill.

In the mean time - BE CARFEUL!

- Pam

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 pm

You're not alone Pam....our "hill" can be a little creepy at times. I know that Lisa (NewFinnLoper) will be doing some hills this winter as will Jill (as she already mentioned).

What time do you usually go out there?

Karen

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:14 pm

KBO wrote:You're not alone Pam....our "hill" can be a little creepy at times. I know that Lisa (NewFinnLoper) will be doing some hills this winter as will Jill (as she already mentioned).

What time do you usually go out there?

Karen

I usually go after work, which is between 5:30 and 6:30, depending on what's going on here. Like I said above, Hill workouts only appear on my Winter Maintenance schedule once every 3 or 4 weeks, so it's not very often.

- Pam

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I'll be there after work tonight - probably between 4:30 and 6:00ish (I was going to run there, but it will be too dark to run home once I am done so I'm caving and driving)...So if anyone is around, I'll be pounding the hill in a turquoise hoodie...
Lisa
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 pm

kidsdoc wrote:Hey
Fiona

OMG Fiona, I didn't recognize you in your avatar! :P :lol:
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:40 pm

Given my predilection for constantly thrashing my body on the hill, I'm almost always game to head to the hill and continue to trend.

One thing is that once it snows and the road is closed, there is almost never anyone there. Mind you, I usually went early Saturday mornings and the troublemakers were still nursing a Club somewhere I'm sure :-)

Isn't it sad we only have the one hill? :-(

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:57 pm

HIJACK (sort of). We do have little mountain park??? Which begs the question - Why is it called Little Mountain Park when there is so obviously no mountain, little or otherwise??????

I don't do hills yet (not running anyways :wink: ) but if you need someone I can walk while you run most nights of the week. I could even try to trot a couple of steps now and again.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

kidsdoc
Percy Williams

Postby kidsdoc » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 am

OMG Fiona, I didn't recognize you in your avatar! :P :lol:

I am very proud of that pic... I used to say people were crazy to run outside in the winter... and over the past two years I have been running, I love it! Going to be at "the hill" next Thursday afternoon...

Kidsdoc

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Ok, I'm back at it and planning a trip to the hill after work tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining me? I'd like to leave work (downtown) at 5pm, and head straight to the hill from there.

Planning a 2k warm-up, some drills & sprints, 8 x 200m uphill sprints, 2k cool-down. It should take 45min or so, I think.

Rides there and/or rides home are available.

Anyone?

- Pam

kidsdoc
Percy Williams

Postby kidsdoc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Can't join in even though no shift tomorrow... just into taper for my marathon effort in Vegas... me (or Mike) would not be happy if got sore or stiff when I am supposed to be taking it easy with short work outs and full recovery in between! Look for me back there in the new year tho!!
Fiona

Kidsdoc

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Prairiekid wrote:Ok, I'm back at it and planning a trip to the hill after work tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining me? I'd like to leave work (downtown) at 5pm, and head straight to the hill from there.

Planning a 2k warm-up, some drills & sprints, 8 x 200m uphill sprints, 2k cool-down. It should take 45min or so, I think.

Anyone?

- Pam

It all depends on the wind. If it is like the weekend, I'd say no. I am still dealing with shrinkage from Saturday morning when the wind at the top nearly knocked me over. I'll check in with this thread on Tuesday afternoon.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.

--

Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:49 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:
Prairiekid wrote:Ok, I'm back at it and planning a trip to the hill after work tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining me? I'd like to leave work (downtown) at 5pm, and head straight to the hill from there.

Anyone?

- Pam

It all depends on the wind. If it is like the weekend, I'd say no. I am still dealing with shrinkage from Saturday morning when the wind at the top nearly knocked me over. I'll check in with this thread on Tuesday afternoon.

Dwayne

Sounds good. I'm happy to blow it off (pun intended) if the wind is crazy. I'm heading to Montreal this weekend, and I hear they have a nice hill there, so I can still get my vertically-augmented run in this week!

- Pam

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:08 pm

UMMMM, you haven't heard about the heavy snowfall warning & winter weather watch out right now I guess ????? :D :D supposed to be 15 to 25 cm snow tonight thru tomorrow night.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Return to “Training ”