Treadmills!

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Treadmills!

Postby Kristi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:22 pm

I know that we've talked about this before, but I can't find anything recent about it. I'm in the market for a treadmill and have been reading reviews all over the place. For those of you that have one at home, what brand do you have and would you reccommend it?

One piece of advice that I've heard over and over is to make sure to pay for delivery and set up so that will be factored into the budget. Any other advice is welcome!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Treadmills!

Postby deerdree » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 pm

i'm in mad love with my pacemaster gold elite (bought from fitness depot). i've had it for just over 4 years with no issues (despite being disassembled/moved 3 times). i can't think of a single thing i don't like about it, although the next level up (platinum) has a negative incline, which i always thought would be cool.

my biggest piece of advice would be to go to the store and run on them.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

We have a Precor and we love it. This the brand DH had in his gym when he was working as a trainer. The quality of the run is fabulous. it is a very basic machine in terms of programs/etc, which is just what I want - I get on and run, and if I want to adjust the speed/incline, I do it manually.

bring your running shoes (and wear a sports bra!) and go run on the different models at the store to get a feel for what they're like.

We paid for delivery/set-up (and did again when we moved). Instead of buying a mat to go underneath, we got an inexpensive piece of sturdy carpet from home depot.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Treadmills!

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm

deerdree wrote:i'm in mad love with my pacemaster gold elite (bought from fitness depot). i've had it for just over 4 years with no issues (despite being disassembled/moved 3 times). i can't think of a single thing i don't like about it, although the next level up (platinum) has a negative incline, which i always thought would be cool.

my biggest piece of advice would be to go to the store and run on them.

My father has the Pacemaster Bronze and I really like that one. It's very basic but also very durable.
I use it almost every time I come here.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Treadmills!

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Another vote for the Pacemaster Bronze ...
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:58 pm

I have the pacemaster platinum. Another vote for Pacemasters - well made, very sturdy, relatively quiet, and I've never had any issues with it (had it since 2008).

Yes, pay for setup - especially if it needs to go up/down any stairs!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 am

I have a Vision Fitness since 2008 and love it! Never had an issue and I got the orthopedic belt which has a really nice cushion for the knees. Check some of the mom and pop fitness dealerships in town too rather than just fitness depot so you can test out a variety of brands to see what you like. You can get some really sweet deals in late fall when the new models come in. I think mine was 1/2 off. I wouldn't have been able to get this model otherwise.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:54 am

I have a precor and I love it. The only issue I have is that the belt has moved but I think it is more from the kids running sideways on it than me running properly. I have had it since 2003.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:44 pm

Trail Child wrote:Another vote for the Pacemaster Bronze ...

Still another vote for the Pacemaster Bronze. It's very basic but all I need.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:16 pm

I've got a Sole F65. I like it. Pretty basic.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:53 pm

I have a Pacemaster Gold Elite VR and I have no issues with it. It even worked after being in storage for almost a year (no reason why it shouldn't but I was nervous).

And yes after having to set it up myself after moving (well put the side rails and the console back on) pay for delivery and set up. worth.every.penny.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am

I have a Schwinn treadmill.... I have to do most of my week night running on mine so it's been able to stand up to heavy usage. It has an incline to 10%. It has an extra long running surface and a 3.5hp motor. So far so good. I've had it since March 2010.

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am

Pacemaster Platinum Pro VR here, and love it. Negative incline is cool. Virtual Reality courses are nice and add some interest to TM running.

I have had the deck replaced, motor replaced, circuit board and the front roller replaced. Motor wasn't necessary, it was trouble shooting that turned out to be the circuit board.

That being said, it gets very heavy usage, and I'm a heavy guy. The deck was actually a warranty recall item, so they had issues and admitted it.

All of the above was under full warrenty, and the only cost I had was travel for the repair guy as I live a long way from the store and knew that going in.

Personally, while it sounds like a lot of repair, I don't think it is out of line with the kind of use I put on it. The warrenty guy was shocked when he say the memory log of it use. And he did a bit of extra for me as I was nearing the end of my warrenty period. The reason he threw the new motor in. It wasn't necessary but he kind of said, lets do it now while your under warrenty and you essentially will have a brand new machine.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed to, but I fully expect to have it for a lot of years to come.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:59 am

Another vote for Pacemaster - I have the Silver Select XP.

Got ours "used" (aka: looked good in the owner's home gym) for sub $500. Catch - DH and I had to dismantle, haul up a flight of stairs, loaded into car, move into our basement, and reassemble. No regrets, as it weighed less than our old pinball machine and the assembly was a piece of cake. If you are able to move a TM yourself, Kijiji is worth the look.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input - I appreciate it. It certainly seems as though the pacemaster is the most popular. Now I'm just keeping my eyes open for sales!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Kristi wrote:Thanks everyone for your input - I appreciate it. It certainly seems as though the pacemaster is the most popular. Now I'm just keeping my eyes open for sales!

I bought mine at Fitness Depot, and while it wasn't on sale, I asked if they would give me their previous sale price. They said yes without blinking an eye! They also gave me a discount on a spin bike a year or two later - in that case, I said I liked model x but only planned to spend $y on a bike, and they gave it to me at that price too! Don't be afriad to ask - the worst they can say is no.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Fitness Depot rocks. Like Hammie, I had a price limit. I told them I wanted a certain TM, had this much $$, so I asked for GST/PST, delivery and set up to be included in that price. Didn't even flinch, said yes right away.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Michelle
Percy Williams

Postby Michelle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 pm

We also have the Pacemaster Platinum, got it 4 years ago and it's endured a lot of running. My favourite part are the VR courses, that mix up the speed and incline over different distances for you. There are 2 of us running on it - less in the summer, but probably 5 days a week in the winter - and we haven't had any problems - other than the heart rate randomly recording. We did have the store deliver and set it up for us - definitely worth it - it's HEAVY!

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:10 am

+1 for the Pacemaster Gold Elite.

Both me and my husband use it, a LOT! Two years, and probably 2000 km later, it is still going like a charm.
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3
Guelph Lake I Sprint Triathlon - June 22
Peterborough Sprint Triathlon - July 6
Iron Girl Canada Triathlon - August 10
Guelph Lake II Sprint Triathlon - Aug 30

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 am

Hammie wrote:
Kristi wrote:Thanks everyone for your input - I appreciate it. It certainly seems as though the pacemaster is the most popular. Now I'm just keeping my eyes open for sales!

I bought mine at Fitness Depot, and while it wasn't on sale, I asked if they would give me their previous sale price. They said yes without blinking an eye! They also gave me a discount on a spin bike a year or two later - in that case, I said I liked model x but only planned to spend $y on a bike, and they gave it to me at that price too! Don't be afriad to ask - the worst they can say is no.

Your fitness depot is nicer than mine! They told us that the Pacemaster doesn't really go on sale ever, and that we won't find it on sale anywhere else either. I am still looking for a used one on kijiji (for the past 4 months on and off- no luck) :(
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 am

pts wrote:
Hammie wrote:

Your fitness depot is nicer than mine! They told us that the Pacemaster doesn't really go on sale ever, and that we won't find it on sale anywhere else either. I am still looking for a used one on kijiji (for the past 4 months on and off- no luck) :(

My closest Fitness Depot is an independent (they refuse to take Fitness Depot gift cards until you demand they call corporate in front of you), and are the same way with pricing. Don't be discouraged. Kijiji is great, but don't discount UsedCanada (check to see if there is a site close to your location), and also watch Craigslist. There are still many people who will only place one ad on one of these sites.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:06 am

abirdd wrote:
pts wrote:
Hammie wrote:

My closest Fitness Depot is an independent (they refuse to take Fitness Depot gift cards until you demand they call corporate in front of you), and are the same way with pricing. Don't be discouraged. Kijiji is great, but don't discount UsedCanada (check to see if there is a site close to your location), and also watch Craigslist. There are still many people who will only place one ad on one of these sites.

I never realized there were different kinds of fitness depots! They put out flyers and advertise sale prices on the web, so I would imagine that the independants would have to honour those prices. If they're unpleasant about it, though, I'd rather buy from somewhere else!

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 am

I have a AFG (i think it's called that) and I love it.

Things to bear in mind.
- as you mentioned factor in delivery and set up, mine weighs 300lbs, so no way the wife and I could lift it down to the basement.

- get one with a decent motor, 3.5 or more should suffice, anything lower and it is more of a "walking machine".

- try it out at the store, some have longer/shorter running platforms so make sure it fits your running style.

- work out, how/what you will use it for, will you require built in programs or will you be happy to just increase/decrease the speed manually as you run on it (I do this). i.e. don't spend extra for one with all the bells and whistles if you won't use them.

- work out the spot in your house where you want to put it, it has to have about 8ft of clearance behind it (just in case you fall off). Then when they install it, they will level it too. I made the mistake of moving mine and had to re-level it and it was a total pain to do.

Happy shopping!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Treadmill purchased and it's coming next week!! I ended up with the Pacemaster Premiere which was on sale for the same price as the Gold. And the service at Fitness Depot was fabulous! I'm very excited :dance:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I was just looking on the website and drooling over those two. :lol: I was looking at the TRUE as well, that's the kind our gym uses, also a nice machine.
Exciting for sure.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “Training ”