Cross training during 1/2 marathon training Need advise

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 am

It has been a good year and a half since I actually " trained" for running races. Life and motivation to focus on this got in the way.
That has changed this year mostly due to the fact that DH has taken up running with gusto ( created a monster... :mrgreen: )and he is so keen on races..So here I am again, energized and focussed to help him with his 10 K quests this year! I need my own quest so for me it is another 1/2 marathon.
Question?
How do I strucure a 1/2 marathon program where I want to continue spinning 2-3 times a week but also beat my fastest time..I would LOVE to do a 1:50 half!!
I also need to keep up my strength and core work, for back issues and horse back riding. My thoughts are realistically I need to structure a program with 3 runs a week. Can this be done and if so any suggestions as which runs I could replace spin with. Bearing in mind spin puts me pretty much right in the middle of aerobic training zone...going a tad anaerobic at times depending on the moves and the class. Classes are usually an hour..with some crazy weeks where the SpinMeister decide onTour rides which can be 90 minutes plus :shock:

My goal race is NCM 1/2 marathon in May. This will be my 4th half marathon. 2 of the past 3 I trained for using an 18 week RR program. 1 I did not train for.
My times were 2:08 and 1:55 for the 2 I trained for ( the faster one was my second one more experience AND I was spinning twice a week) The third one I did in 2:11..did not really train seriously although I had a running base but also had some lower back issues which caused me to walk quite abit.

I would like to train seriously for this one. I have a good cardio base( I spin 3 times a week, run 3 times a week). I do corework, yoga, and strength work as well. This is more to keep my back in check and keep me strong for horseback riding. I have also dumped some weight. Finally decided the extra 15lbs needed to go...6lbs gone, 9 more to go.

Suggestions are much appreciated!
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Cross training during 1/2 marathon training Need advise

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:25 am

Have you looked at the FIRST program? That's the one in the "run less, run faster" book, but also available online I think.

It has three hard runs a week with very specific paces - long, tempo and intervals, plus 2 cross training days, which are supposed to be tough. Sounds like the kind of structure you are looking for.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

I don't see why you need to cut the spinning out. I think you still want to maintain running 3 times a week - but your runs will need 'purpose' - a specific speed work type run (intervals), another tempo based steady run, and then for your long run, having some targets within it (Race pace +30s/min to start for the first third to half, then increasing that pace during the run).

The spinning will help your running and I know that there are some that will argue that in order to run faster, you need to run more. Which might be the case, but if you're willing to take the chance on the training, I'd say give it a try.

The loss of extra weight you were/are carrying will definitely help to attain this time goal - good job on dropping the 6lbs and keep at it!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 am

I ran and biked 3x each per week (plus swam 3x a week) during my HIM training last year so it's definitely do-able to accomplish what you hope with multi-workout days.
The tricky thing is that most spin classes are meant to be high aerobic/anaerobic and if you want to keep a good run focus, you will need to take it easy sometimes and listen to your body.

Here's a sample week based on my coached training plan last winter.
Mon-rest/yoga
Tues-bike aerobic, run speedwork
Weds-bike endurance (this could be your longer or tougher spin class since you get a rest day the next day), strength
Thurs-rest/yoga (this was my swim/underwater hockey day, but it could be your horse-riding day)
Fri-run steady/tempo
Sat-bike aerobic, strength
Sun-long run

Hope this helps!
Carm

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 pm

If you're really serious about the race goal, drop at least one spin and add at least one run.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:14 pm

If you are 13 pounds lighter than when you did your 1:55 half, you'll probably find that just getting into a consistent program similar to what you did then will get you the faster time.

In general agree with Mark that for a serious speed goal you'd be better off with more running, but you may not need it. A structured program of 3 runs plus 2-3 spins, core, and rising might get you where you want to be while you continue to do what you enjoy.

For comparison- my times are strikingly similar to yours- first half was 2:09 and second one a year later was 1:56. That time seemed to reflect just my natural "beginner gains". At the time of the 1:56 I was running 3-4 times per week plus 2 cross-training days. Two years later I got down to 1:51 but that was with no weight loss and quite a bit more running (running 6-7 days/week and no cross-training).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you all for some great advise. All pretty consistent which is good.
I will go on line and look at the first program as well.
I have a good place to start and will vacillate about about maybe 2 spins and 4 runs.
That might happen some weeks organically as I travel with my job and can miss a class.
2013 Plans so Far

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Could you do an easy run on the days that you do spinning? Even a 20-30 minute easy effort in the morning? If you spin twice a week, you could end up adding 6-10km a week that way and it wouldn't feel like a lot of effort. If you spin in the evening, you may find that it helps your spinning feel better if you run in the morning. I used to find, oddly, that my second run of the day felt WAY easier when I did an easy run in the morning while marathon training. It was like I would start the second run already warmed up! I only did 20 minutes, super easy, but 3 times a week, and it added 10 or 11km every week for me. If you spin in the am, an easy run in the evenings could also help your legs recover. I agree with the others that running 3x a week, with your weight loss, will probably suffice, but if you can run more you'll have a better chance of a great time and less chance of injury IMO. Good luck!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Yes I could do easy runs on the days I spin on the evening, that is a good suggestion. On Saturday I spin in the morning and really only want one workout that day as so many other things to do around farm on weekends

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.881746,-75.891422
2013 Plans so Far

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I had a thought on my run today:

The bad thing about a plan that has you running only three days/week is that if you miss one day, that's a lot of your week's running. Or worse, two days-- then you end up like the people I chat with on the the Running Room runs who "haven't run since last Sunday."

So I like the idea of planning 4 days/week, with the expectation of the odd missed run here or there. Or as you say, substituting an easy run for one of your spin days if you are travelling or if you have to miss one of the three runs. Just don't let 3 days/week turn into 1 or 2.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Training ”