Breathing pattern and injuries

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

I saw this article in RW the other day. Gist of it is how adjusting our breathing pattern can help reduce injuries. http://m.runnersworld.com/running-tips/ ... -technique

Most people breathe in 2 steps, breathe out 2 steps (or sometimes 3/3), but that means we're always landing on the same foot when beginning exhaling. The premise (supported by some research) is that always landing on the same foot when beginning exhaling causes more stress on that side of the body, and therefore more injuries. If we breathe with a different pattern, like 3-2 or 2-1-1-1-1, we can vary that stress and therefore reduce injury risk.

Any thoughts? To me it seems pretty tough to adjust how I naturally breathe. Thinking about it seems to cause more stress than anything else (I have to think about it enough for swimming!). Couldn't you accomplish the same thing by alternating which foot gets the inhale vs exhale? Again, though, seems to require too much thinking.
Last edited by Jwolf on Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Breathing pattern and injuries

Postby La » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am

I would think it would take some practice, for sure. It took me a while to learn how to do bi-lateral breathing while swimming (and then to learn to do it in open water, which I found a challenge at first). But once I mastered it, I don't know how to do it any other way!

I've actually heard about this before as a way of getting rid of side stitches while running - something about breathing out when the foot on the side of the stitch hits the ground (or maybe it was the opposite foot :lol: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am

The difference here though is that its an asymmetric breathing pattern. It seems so much more natural to take the same time to breathe in as out.

When I tried it I felt like I was hypoxic the whole time, even going pretty slowly.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 am

I only breathe 2/2 when racing or doing speed work. Normally it's 3/3, if I start doing 2/2 on an easy run that means I need to slow the hell down. But I guess if you are a 2/2 breather you could make a concious effort to switch feet every once in a while.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:I only breathe 2/2 when racing or doing speed work. Normally it's 3/3, if I start doing 2/2 on an easy run that means I need to slow the hell down. But I guess if you are a 2/2 breather you could make a concious effort to switch feet every once in a while.

Note that with 3/3 you're always always starting the exhale on the same side. This is what he claims causes the problem. You have to breathe with an asymmetric pattern to alternate the side you start the exhale.

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 am

Awww man, I'm just trying to consistently do 10k in less than 55 minutes, and now I have to worry about how I breathe too :( This is crazy!

Jokes apart, I had no idea that the impact during foot strike is equivalent to 2-3 times your body weight, and I can see how this could lead to the problem I've been having (niggles around my left foot, while right foot always feels fine.). However, is this a common theme among runners? i.e. do runners usually have one 'weaker' side of their body?

I think it is fair to assume that beginner and intermediate (maybe even some advanced) runners do not use this asymmetrical breathing pattern. So, is it common to see these runners have most of their issues on one side more than the other?

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am

Jwolf wrote:Note that with 3/3 you're always always starting the exhale on the same side. This is what he claims causes the problem. You have to breathe with an asymmetric pattern to alternate the side you start the exhale.
I see your point but I doubt I am exhaling on the same side every run. Even if there's anything to this theory I should think alternating from run to run as opposed to switching to an unnatural breathing pattern would be a better solution. As I'm not thinking about breathing on easy runs maybe I will check next couple of times and see.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

I can't actually find the study that is referred to. What I CAN find is several studies suggesting both humans and animals automatically choose a breathing pattern that is most efficient. At high effort levels the act of breathing takes up a surprizingly important percentage of muscular activity. This effort can be coordinated with movement such that the force of landing (or taking off etc.) assists the breathing or conflicts: subconsciously we choose the "assists".

In short, I wouldn't mess with it: do what comes naturally. YMMV.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm

That was my gut feeling too, Michael.

Thanks for that perspective.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Note that with 3/3 you're always always starting the exhale on the same side. This is what he claims causes the problem. You have to breathe with an asymmetric pattern to alternate the side you start the exhale.
I see your point but I doubt I am exhaling on the same side every run. Even if there's anything to this theory I should think alternating from run to run as opposed to switching to an unnatural breathing pattern would be a better solution. As I'm not thinking about breathing on easy runs maybe I will check next couple of times and see.

I was thinking that too- I doubt I'm a perfect 3/3 or 2/2 breather and if its somewhere in between you wouldn't be always stressing the same side.

(And I agree with your other points)

kennie
Percy Williams

Postby kennie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:17 am

Growing up with asthma, my body learned a lot about breathing, and how to maximize oxygen intake.
Unfortunately, I'm still smoking, but will soon give it up.

After a winter hiatus, each spring it takes about 2 weeks for my body to learn how to breathe again while running.
I can't explain the process, but it's unconscious.

I currently run 90 minutes at 8 minutes a mile, with a cigarette just before the run.
Not a fast pace, but not too shabby for 59 years of age.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Breathing should be more of a random pattern unless you are a totally one pace all the time runner.
If you are worried about things that require you to think about them too much, then avoiding locating studies like this will lessen the complications involved in such a simple task. :wink:
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Breathing should be more of a random pattern unless you are a totally one pace all the time runner.
If you are worried about things that require you to think about them too much, then avoiding locating studies like this will lessen the complications involved in such a simple task. :wink:

That's why I was pretty surprised to see this in RW and to see the editor endorse it. Of course they have to always look for more things to sell magazines. :)

Maybe time to stop reading RW. ;)

mccully
Johnny Miles

Postby mccully » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm

I find that the 3-2 pattern works well for gauging effort for an "easy" run and a 2:1 for a "hard" effort. It's not perfect, but I do a lot better controlling my breath when I work on hitting the patterns than when I just go with the flow. I've always run like that- I bought Claire Kowolchik's Women's Running book in 2000 (I think? I would have been in high school) that encouraged the same technique and I think it works well for me.
2014- the year of the comeback (I hope!)
May 3- Tri-Diva-Tri
June- Turning 30!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Breathing should be more of a random pattern unless you are a totally one pace all the time runner.

:naughty:

I do trust that you are not suggesting that running is a simple task that anyone can undertake, especially on a recreational level. That it instead involves complex and scientifically formulated schedules and techniques that in turn separates the runner from an average and ordinary person. If it is Tuesday, you must land on a point that is 33.4% of the distance between the big toe and the heal and breath in a 3-2 pattern except on the HIIT intervals when it is a 2-1 pattern and the intervals of course must be run at exactly 98% of the Vo2 max unless one is doing farlek or have switched the Thursday tempo run to Tuesday or have a lactate issue to address. :wink:

Joking aside, such studies may actually help in that someone with poor posture starts to concentrate on their breathing that in turn gets them into a better posture. My skepticism says that such generalizations might lead to someone changing their stride and losing form and thus leading to an injury.

Return to “Training ”