How to Master the Pullup

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

How to Master the Pullup

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

copied from: http://deborahbaska.com/fitness-challen ... e-pull-up/
(pictures at the blog)
How to Master the Pull Up

How many can YOU do? Still trying to master the pull up? Here are some tips:At Home Chin Ups

Complete each move below two to three times a week until it feels easy, then progress to the next.

1. Semi-hang: Simply hang straight-armed from the pull-up bar with your hands shoulder-width apart, palms facing forward and feet just barely off the floor. Build up to where you can hold the bar for 30 seconds, then rest 60 to 90 seconds. Do three reps.

2. Flexed-arm hang: Stand on a bench so that your chin is just above the bar; grasp the bar with your palms facing forward, hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, elbows bent by sides. Step off the bench and hold 30 seconds; rest 60 to 90 seconds. Do three reps. MAKE IT EASIER: Grasp the bar chin-up style, your hands shoulder-width apart and palms facing you.

3. Negative pull-up: Beginning in the same start position as in move two, step off the bench and slowly lower yourself on a count of six until your arms are fully extended. Step back up on the bench; repeat. Work up to six reps.

4. Baby pull-up: Beginning in the same start position as in move two, this time step off the bench and lower your chin two inches below the bar, then pull yourself back up. Repeat once, then step back up on the bench to rest. Do four reps.

5. Assisted pull-up: Standing on the floor, have a workout buddy lift you up to the bar to get into start position and provide a boost on each upward pull.

If you are working on this at home, you can get a door frame pull up bar (as I’m using in the picture). You can also use a pull-up assist strap (in step 5) if you don’t have yourself a workout buddy! No Excuses! Right! Good Luck!

- See more at: http://deborahbaska.com/fitness-challen ... hq3AN.dpuf
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: How to Master the Pullup

Postby La » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:57 am

Good tips! I might have to try this as part of my post-Toad recovery/workout regime!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

These are great tips! Even when I was doing a lot of weight lifting, the most I've ever been able to do is 3! For some reason, they are really, really difficult for me. Pushups I can do- I can pretty much always do 25-30 (well maybe not now haha) and have been able to do 60 when I was strong. Planks too... but pullups are my nemesis! After the baby I'm going to get myself back in shape... I'll start working on these again!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:20 pm

When I rock climbed, I used to do sets with an extra 60lb hanging from my belt. Now, I'd be lucky to do 1 with just my body weight.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Totally agree that pullups are among the best compound exercises out there, but not so sure about those tips. Tips #1 and #2 - isometric exercises - won't build pullup strength whatsoever. Isometric exercises only build strength at that very specific position/angle. They're not very effective, but are better than nothing for people with compromised joint mobility. (Rehab, etc...) Tip #4 is a recipe for injury... bearing your full bodyweight over a super-shortened range of motion. Yikes, you won't do many of those without developing shoulder problems.

If you can't do full pullups yet, the best plan is to do other exercises to strengthen your lats, traps, deltoids and forearms to get to the point where you can do full pullups (assisted or unassisted) and then go from there.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 pm

The training gym I went to (Vertical Adventures, for the Winnipegers here) had a chin-up station where you could clip weights attached to pulleys to assist you if you were unable to do full pull-ups. It helped me out a lot when I started.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Good. I'll just keep doing the assisted pullups, and work on all the other stuff to build strength in my lats, traps, deltoids and forearms!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Return to “Training ”