Runner with two broken toes

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
newbie13
Percy Williams

Runner with two broken toes

Postby newbie13 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:32 am

Hello:
I'm usually more involved on the other side of the site, but I fell down the stairs recently and broke two toes. I was training for the NCM half marathon, but have been told I can't train again for a half marathon until Augutst.

I'm still in a walking cast ... I was wondering if anyone here has been in my situation. For example, with some kind of injury that forced them into walking for an extended period of time. Can I do similar type training, but walk it instead of running? I was thinking of taking my half marathon program, which has some short faster runs, and then a long run once a week. Do that but walk it.

Any thoughts on walking as cross-training as I prepare to return to running, would be greatly appreciated!
NCM 2007 Half Marathon
Mintro Run for Reach - 5K

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Mon May 14, 2007 8:51 am

Never been there, but can't imagine that walking could make up for lost running time. Are you able to use a stationary bike Or swim with that cast? If you can maintain some cardio work, you'll limit the amount of fitness lost until you can run again. Until then though walking mixed with x-training should keep you ready.

Return to “Walking”