How did you get started and tips

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Just wondering how people got started trail running, how did you find trails to run on, and any tips for a newb.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Re: How did you get started and tips

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 am

Victoria is an awesome city. I bet you don’t have to wonder very far to find some pretty cool stuff to run. As far as getting started just follow any path that leads you off pavement and you’re a trail runner. Another good option is to pick a short trail race like http://www.5peaks.com/schedule.asp?p=bc .

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:02 am

I started (and got hooked) after trying a 5Peaks trail race. Have fun!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 am

I ran on the grass beside a Path, through a couple of streams to see what running in wet feet was like. Then I ran ITT 32km. Best way to start is just to get off the road, plain and simple, the rest will come, but you have to take the first muddy steps.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 am

I started on some urban trails in Edmonton.

There may be clinics where you are... here we have trail running clinics. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am

See if there are any clinics or even running groups in your area that run trails. Remember that running trails is different than running road. You have to pay attention to your surroundings and the ground and pick up your feet! Most people tend to run slower on trails than on road (note that I said most; I know there's a lot of super-fast trail runners that post on these boards :D ) Last but certainly not least, have fun and enjoy your surroundings while you're out there.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:17 am

Forget about racing, forget about clinics, forget about books, forget about it all.

The next time you're out for a run on pavement, keep your eyes open for a trail. When you see one, take it. See where it goes. It might only be a couple hundred yards.

Don't overthink it. Just turn right and go.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:24 am

I got started on trails just a couple of months ago, because my physio forbade me to run on concrete or asphalt. I don't know if that makes me a trail runner, for real, but I'm surely enjoying it. I'm lucky to live very close to smallish urban parks with semi-maintained foot paths through the woods. If I decide I need a more rustic trail experience, there are larger, more rugged parks in driving distance. I'm thinking about getting a pair of trail shoes eventually, but for now, I'm just using my regular running shoes and they seem to work fine.

Also, I'm finding that running in the woods is much cooler in the summer than is running on the baking asphalt streets.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:29 am

turd ferguson wrote:Forget about racing, forget about clinics, forget about books, forget about it all.

Don't overthink it.

+1

Just find some trails and go. Although in the city it takes a bit more planning than just turning onto a grassy spot- There are some nice parks (regional and provincial) in and near Victoria with beautiful trails. All you need is your regular running gear- just take it a bit easier on the uneven surface at first.

I did a lot of hiking before I had kids and before I started running, but have only recently decided I want to go back go those trails and run them more. :) It's mostly a logistical issue for me now- my life keeps me in the city more which I do like. I run mostly on roads now other than a small trail loop in a park near my house, but I do get on trails whenever we go camping, and I'd like to more on the weekends.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm going to try a trail at Mt Doug tonight. It's supposed to be moderately flat. Wish me luck.
Andrea Michelle

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby kpoire » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Forget about racing, forget about clinics, forget about books, forget about it all.

The next time you're out for a run on pavement, keep your eyes open for a trail. When you see one, take it. See where it goes. It might only be a couple hundred yards.

+1

I think what I like about trail running is I don't think about pace, splits, etc, etc. Just enjoy the view, the solitude, and Mother Nature. I bought a trail map for our local park and just pick a route and see where it goes - the muddier the better! There are some websites that have trail info as well... I think I have some bookmarked at home - will check.

http://www.atlas.gc.ca may have some trails on their topographic maps (depending on how current they are). Click on 'topographic maps' in the middle of the home page and then zoom to your area.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re:

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:06 pm

that *sometimes* works, but not necessarily for someone who is nervous about getting lost, or girls who are running alone. :/

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Forget about racing, forget about clinics, forget about books, forget about it all.

that *sometimes* works, but not necessarily for someone who is nervous about getting lost, or girls who are running alone. :/

If you're nervous about getting lost, maybe trailrunning isn't the right sport for you.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re:

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

If you're nervous about getting lost, maybe trailrunning isn't the right sport for you.

I disagree. When I first moved here, even though I was an experienced trail runner, I was still nervous about getting lost on our endless trail system by myself. I explored it in bits and pieces, small areas at a time until I felt comfortable. Now I love introducing people to the trails and playing tour guide... but in the beginning it was tougher.

Country_Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Country_Girl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm with Ultraslacker on this. I'm female and nervous about getting lost. That doesn't necessarily mean I should never set foot on a trail.

I consider this similar to the debate in Ottawa about cycling. They are considering adding lanes for cyclists. Some current cyclists don't want this as they prefer cycling on the road (which will still be legal). However, the city considered several studies. One of them (I believe in NYC) posed the question to non-cycling commuters: What would it require to get you out of your car for commuting. The overwhelming response was safer ways of cycling (i.e. not on the edge of the road). I'm learning to cycle (I road as a child but I mean in the sense of going for 10 miles type thing) and I definately would be more inclined to commute if there were separate lanes as I don't feel safe on many of the local roads. In this study what they found was that people who were using the roads in NYC fell into one demographic (young, male, risk taker). Those who were female and/or older and defined themselves as more cautious weren't on the roads. These are different user groups but it doesn't mean one group should just never cycle commute.

In terms of trails, sure there are a group of people who are happy to jump on a trail and go or start with a serious trail race, etc. If that is you, great, you can jump into a 100 miler in your second year if that is your style. But if you don't fit that demographic it doesn't mean you should never go on a trail. I recognize that I am nervous about getting lost so I take precautions (Garmin, well identified trails, leave message at home about where I am, etc) and choose to confront that fear in a managable way. I also am nervous about meeting some guy twice my size on the back half of a trail who has less than good intentions. But I recognize that it is highly improbable that this would happen and choose to run trails (again with precautions - no distractions, during the daylight, clear info to people at home, with a cell phone, etc).

So for some just running on a trail is the way to go, for others a group might do it. I realize statistically the chance of a stranger becoming violent is very very low. In my 20s that fact was enough for me. I was fearless. I went all over the place alone at night. However, in my 30s I'm a bit more cautious. I'm also more cautious on the road, in my kayak, etc. But I'm not dead yet :D

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

I disagree. When I first moved here, even though I was an experienced trail runner, I was still nervous about getting lost on our endless trail system by myself. I explored it in bits and pieces, small areas at a time until I felt comfortable. Now I love introducing people to the trails and playing tour guide... but in the beginning it was tougher.

What I should have said was - you're going to get lost. If you need to plan out every foot of your route to deal with nervousness, maybe trail running isn't the right sport.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Nothing wrong with joining a group, but not necessarily a "clinic". But there are some very safe and fun trails in parks in or near the city.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

abhainn wrote:Just wondering how people got started trail running, how did you find trails to run on, and any tips for a newb.

After a trail marathon which killed my quads, I decided trails were a must. But I live in a city without many trails; and with parks where females ought not be by themselves. I'm waaaaay too slow for group running.

So I found a short but interesting trail, very safe and very close to home. then, I run around and around. The wildlife does move so the scenery does change; but since I'm always looking down, I don't see much.

I trip alot, so I go slow and keep my eyes on the trail. I've watched other people hippity hop without a care in the world; but I end up flat everytime I try that. My depth perception isn't that good and I don't pick up my feet enough I guess.

I am not graceful at all so I don't really think of trails as fun, just good training.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Well I'm not worried about getting lost. Maybe if I was going out for longer than an hour but not when I'm out for an hour max. Plus I'm usually pretty good at orienteering myself in the bush, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it. Not that worried about some freak jumping out at me either. I can't outrun anyone but I have a mean right kick to the groin :shifty:

I went out to Mt. Douglas after work and managed a decent 28minutes on the trail. At first I thought it was going to be an epic fail since the trail I had chosen, which was supposed to be easy to moderate, started on an uphill and didn't seem all that easy or moderate as I kept going. Prairie raised girl that I am, I suck on hills and this was steeper than anything I'm used to. But I powered through just walking for the first 10minutes. Since I'm coming back from an injury my doctor wants me to take it easy and just do 30sec run:2min walk intervals and see how that goes. I'm allowed to increase to 45sec run if it's going well. I stuck to that pattern for the first 1/2 but on the way back I actually ran 1min and then 1&1/2min sets without even really noticing it :D I only stopped running because I wanted to make sure to not overdo it. But I could have kept going. The running felt great but I think I've discovered that I have patellar tendonitis in both knees, not just the right. :-bd :roll:

Spirit, I'm like you. I trip over my own toes, but I only tripped twice today and only once while running. Nearly did a face plant but managed to pull up just in time. That's pretty impressive for me.
Andrea Michelle

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 pm

www.trailpeak.com has a lot of trails listed (among other sports - climbing, down hill skiing, etc)

Specifically for Victoria:
on the map: http://www.trailpeak.com/widgets?locati ... oria,%20BC
...and using the search: http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat= ... val=custom

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 pm

kpoire wrote:http://www.trailpeak.com has a lot of trails listed (among other sports - climbing, down hill skiing, etc)

Cool resource, thanks.

abhainn wrote:I went out to Mt. Douglas after work and managed a decent 28minutes on the trail.

It doesn't surprise me that you had some hills there. Mt. Tolmie is another good spot, with the added bonus that you can probably get to the top for some nice views. If your definition of "trails" includes easy-to-run flat shale tracks that are a ways from houses and roads, I'd recommend the stretch of the Galloping Goose between McKenzie and Royal Oak, just west of Mt. Douglas. Every now and then there will be places where you can go on a dirt track into the trees for a couple minutes.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm

ian wrote:
kpoire wrote:http://www.trailpeak.com has a lot of trails listed (among other sports - climbing, down hill skiing, etc)

Cool resource, thanks.

This. Thank you.
Andrea Michelle

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Dictionary definition of Trail running: Finding a path, near-path, not-even-close-to-a-path or impassable terrain with the sole intention of getting lost. Okay, this is actually my definition of trail running. Drives my running buddies nuts when we get lost on every run. My mother used to say: "Follow Pierre at your own risk". There are dangers on the trails, but there is nothing wrong with tagging along with a group for the first few times, until you can determine if running alone on the trail meets your comfort level.

Trail running requires mental focus in order to maintain speed. This is something that is learned. The more trails you run, the better / faster you become at trail running. The benefit of road running is that you can discount all the distractions and focus on top speed, max VO2, tempo running, etc. Trails do not allow you the luxury of running at max VO2. Until you know a trail, you must "curb" (sorry) your heart rate in case there is a mind-bending hill around the next corner. Even "knowing" a trail and pushing to max VO2 can end badly...

But there are few pleasures greater than dialing in a perfect trail run; when the feet are barely touching the ground and you are leaning perfectly into the sinusoidal terrain. I had the chance to follow Charlotte V. for part of her Bruce Trail speed record. Char never fell during 900K of very technical trail running! Since she was tired (I paced her when she was 13 hours into her 8th day of running), I was able to watch her foot placement, lack of wasted motion or effort, and precise approaches to ascents, descents and turns. It was poetry!

Don't try a trail, try them all!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Chainsaw Baby wrote:Dictionary definition of Trail running: Finding a path, near-path, not-even-close-to-a-path or impassable terrain with the sole intention of getting lost. Okay, this is actually my definition of trail running. Drives my running buddies nuts when we get lost on every run. My mother used to say: "Follow Pierre at your own risk". There are dangers on the trails, but there is nothing wrong with tagging along with a group for the first few times, until you can determine if running alone on the trail meets your comfort level.

Trail running requires mental focus in order to maintain speed. This is something that is learned. The more trails you run, the better / faster you become at trail running. The benefit of road running is that you can discount all the distractions and focus on top speed, max VO2, tempo running, etc. Trails do not allow you the luxury of running at max VO2. Until you know a trail, you must "curb" (sorry) your heart rate in case there is a mind-bending hill around the next corner. Even "knowing" a trail and pushing to max VO2 can end badly...

But there are few pleasures greater than dialing in a perfect trail run; when the feet are barely touching the ground and you are leaning perfectly into the sinusoidal terrain. I had the chance to follow Charlotte V. for part of her Bruce Trail speed record. Char never fell during 900K of very technical trail running! Since she was tired (I paced her when she was 13 hours into her 8th day of running), I was able to watch her foot placement, lack of wasted motion or effort, and precise approaches to ascents, descents and turns. It was poetry!

Don't try a trail, try them all!

Beautifully written Chainsaw. Today's trail run turned into a hike as the trail ended up being all up hill and then when I was heading down my knee decided to rear it's ugly patellar tendonitis head :evil:

I'm keeping at it though and actually going to look at some trail shoes tomorrow. I love my runners on the road but my feet slop around in them a little too much I think.
Andrea Michelle

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

My stupid workouts (wall squats, trx balance lunges to hip hinge, trx suspended lunges, step galloping, sideways uphill and tree slalom) seem to help the knee after a period of time. I guess more trail running would do the same thing. Quad lifts have never helped my knees.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”