Question about Limberlost Challenge

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
kaybee
Johnny Miles

Question about Limberlost Challenge

Postby kaybee » Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I am planning to register for this race. My husband and some others I know are doing the 28k. I have very limited trail running experience (this would be my first trail race) and my head tells me I should sign up for the 14k. This is also the sense I get from the website. People are telling me I could do the 28k but I am not a great technical runner. I am soon to start training for the Chicago marathon and my plan for that has me running about 23k that day, though it is not a big deal if I do less mileage that day.

For those of you who have done it, how technical is it? If I opt to do the 14k, which is what I am leaning toward, are the roads around there amenable to me tacking on an extra 8-10k once I am finished?

Thanks for the input.

Karen

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Re: Question about Limberlost Challenge

Postby trailzen » Tue May 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Trails are technical and if chicago is your key race for the year I would definitely choose the 14 and really enjoy yourself then add on if you feel you need it. Several places right in the forest where you could get some extra milage and great hill training on gravel roads. Chances are you will feel that 14 is enough for the day as the trails will give you a more intense workout than what you would normally get on the road.28 would be doable but you may actually put yourself behind in your training by overdoing it on the trail.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm

The way I remember it is friendly but busy trails. Soft footing but lots of little stuff to go over, around, up and down. Not crazy rocky like some but slow nevertheless. The rock is bedrock not scattered loose rock. Lots of pictures on the website.

next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Johnny M
Percy Williams

Postby Johnny M » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I was very feverish the three days leading up to Limberlost last year (my fever broke around noon on the Friday), but I had already paid for the race so just decided to go for it. I felt great for 8K and then just was super weak. So, I just hiked the last three loops and enjoyed the view. It's a very scenic and relaxing course and I'm looking forward to running it healthy this year.

I'd say register for the 28K, run whatever effort feels appropriate for your training and then just have a nice hike back to the start/finish. There's actually a nice section on the course with a small bridge over the lake that is just wonderful to sit down on and dip your legs in the lake.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Limberlost is my favourite course in the whole Ontario Ultra Series, so I'm biased. :) It's the most scenic and has the best mix of dirt, pine needle trail, single track trails rolling along some gorgeous lakes and forests. I can't think of a better place to run a trail race.

If you look at the previous years' results, you'll notice that everyone's times are much much slower. 14k will probably feel more like an 18k, especially if you are new to trail races. But as the site says, the course is runnable. The constant up and down, running around obstacles like roots, rocks, tree stumps and logs will feel like quite a workout. If you're flexible about your marathon training plan, then I'd agree with Johnny and say go for the 28k, run a strong first lap and then run-hike the second lap. If not, stay on the safe side, run the 14k and feel free to add more miles if you're up to it.

If you haven't already, check out the Limberlost site for its course description. Good luck with your training.
Ultrarunner again

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm

:pray: :pray: oh how I long to do this race....
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 pm

If you are driving all that way might as well get your moneys worth. I say the 28k.

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Postby kaybee » Wed May 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks! Some things to think about. I am leaning toward the 28k now. I will try a few more trail runs and see how they go before deciding, keeping one watchful eye on the list of registrants so it doesn't fill up on me before I decide!

It does sound/look beautiful there.

Karen

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”