Trails around Penticton, BC

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
NMG
Bill Crothers

Trails around Penticton, BC

Postby NMG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have any suggestions for some nice trail runs in or around Penticton? I'll be out there next week and was hoping to get some nice runs in. A loop would be nice, but even an out and back would be fine. Looking for something in the 10-20K range and wooded/shaded if possible!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Trails around Penticton, BC

Postby Dstew » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

http://www.kettlevalleyrailtrail.com/maps/

The route to Naramata is really quite nice with great views, very well maintained, through vine yards and some natural areas and a number of other users.

The route to Summerland was a little tricky to find and is in the forest and I never saw another person on a 28 K run until I hit Summerland.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey Dstew, that's exactly what I was looking for. Awesome, thanks for the info!

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Here is the run I recently did from Penticton to Summerland.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/349893972

The first 7.3k is on the sidewalks and pathways in Penticton. Then the trail turns onto the KVR. At about 18k is then end of the trail, a old train bridge is there and the tourist train still runs on the tracks beyond that point. From there I ran West up up the mountain and then I reversed the whole course. You could park at the train bridge and run up and around the small mountain there, there are lots of trails in the area.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 pm

VDoT wrote:Here is the run I recently did from Penticton to Summerland.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/349893972

The first 7.3k is on the sidewalks and pathways in Penticton. Then the trail turns onto the KVR. At about 18k is then end of the trail, a old train bridge is there and the tourist train still runs on the tracks beyond that point. From there I ran West up up the mountain and then I reversed the whole course. You could park at the train bridge and run up and around the small mountain there, there are lots of trails in the area.

post it in the new Routes section! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Great info, thanks VDoT!

I should have asked earlier, but did you find the trails overly technical? I'm taking my road shoes for sure, just not sure if I should worry about packing my trail shoes as well.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 pm

The KVR portions are wide and smooth - I had my pavement running shoes and was glad as there was no need for trial shoes. If I could do it again, I would have run past Naramata as I liked that route better. Nicer views and it was very relaxing and almost Zen. The route to Summerland borders true wilderness and I had to jump over a snake. Either way, road shoes are fine.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Yep, only need trail shoes if you are going to hit the trails up on the mountain. Road shoes are fine for the KVR.

Oddly, I too had to jump over a snake on my run! :)
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Geez, now I'm thinking I should take my trail shoes so I have extra snake defence mechanisms from their lugs, LOL :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 pm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189025717

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189680835

Was at a 5 Peaks race and to win a prize you had to answer, "you know you are a trail runner when" and with the share experience with VDot I can now answer, on a run you may have to jump over snakes.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Just wanted to post a quick update to say that I did run a stretch of the KVR trail from Penticton to Naramata. I would've liked to explore more, but I just ran out of time.

The route was very nice and the section I ran was more of a dirt road than an actual trail, no need for anything other than road shoes. Got some nice views in and took some nice pictures while on my run. There was virtually no shade and I ran at high noon so it got a little warm, but at least there was no humidity, LOL.

Thanks again for the tips everyone!

p.s. No snake encounters for me :lol:

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 pm

NMG wrote:Just wanted to post a quick update to say that I did run a stretch of the KVR trail from Penticton to Naramata. I would've liked to explore more, but I just ran out of time.

The route was very nice and the section I ran was more of a dirt road than an actual trail, no need for anything other than road shoes. Got some nice views in and took some nice pictures while on my run. There was virtually no shade and I ran at high noon so it got a little warm, but at least there was no humidity, LOL.

Thanks again for the tips everyone!

p.s. No snake encounters for me :lol:

I share your thoughts and wish I could have gone longer. I think it gets more "traily" the further one goes. May have to drive and start further down but it is such nice country there it is also hard to ignore that. Snakes on the trail to Summerland so next visit you have to go that way.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”