Where to buy a foam roller in Halifax area

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Where to buy a foam roller in Halifax area

Postby JacSprat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a foam roller in the Halifax area?
Thx :!:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Just go to your local RR ... If they don't have it in stock, they can transfer it in within 4-5 business days ... It's like $39.99, but if you have a 20% coupon, ya know ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 pm

You can order one from Fitness Depot for $19.99.

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/ ... 773C0.aspx
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Jacqui, that's the place I meant! Fitness Depot! Darn, I had the name wrong. I'm sure we don't have any Florida Fitness in Ottawa either! :oops: I got mine there about 8 months again. It was $24.99 but I bought the full roller - they sell the 1/2 roller for $19.99 at this particular store.
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Most physio places have them.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm

HCiD wrote:Just go to your local RR ... If they don't have it in stock, they can transfer it in within 4-5 business days ... It's like $39.99, but if you have a 20% coupon, ya know ... :wink:

foam roller, or, the stick?

I don't think I've seen a big-ass foam roller at the RR. (but, I haven't been there in awhile)

i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Irongirl wrote:
HCiD wrote:Just go to your local RR ... If they don't have it in stock, they can transfer it in within 4-5 business days ... It's like $39.99, but if you have a 20% coupon, ya know ... :wink:

I don't think I've seen a big-ass foam roller at the RR. (but, I haven't been there in awhile)

http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product ... ts_id=3727

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:39 pm

BJH wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

oh...pretty green colour..... ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Irongirl wrote:
BJH wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

that doesn't explain why the RR retail is double that at Fitness Depot
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
BJH wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Not all foam rollers are built the same ... the cheaper one's tend to loose their bounce back over a short time ... Had a customer/instructor who compared the two and eventually came back and bought the Pro Foam Roller ... Then again, after his discount it turned out to be about $6.00 more than the other one at Fitness Depot ... :?

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 pm

HCiD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
BJH wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Not all foam rollers are built the same ... the cheaper one's tend to loose their bounce back over a short time ... Had a customer/instructor who compared the two and eventually came back and bought the Pro Foam Roller ... Then again, after his discount it turned out to be about $6.00 more than the other one at Fitness Depot ... :?

I've had the Fitness Depot one for over a year and haven't had any issues with it losing firmness.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks for all the help!
Question - what is the stick?? I don't see one on the Fitness Depot website.

Anyway - I got as far as the Check Out on Fitness Depot and then discovered it cost just about as much to ship ($15) as it does to buy - so I think I'll wait and see if there's somewhere local that has the $19.99 one. There's a store in town called Aerobics First -I'll try there. If not then I might as well go to RR for the more expensive one.
I hate shipping costs! Steep and Cheap is the same - great prices, ridiculous shipping charges :cry:
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:04 pm

JacSprat wrote:Thanks for all the help!

Anyway - I got as far as the Check Out on Fitness Depot and then discovered it cost just about as much to ship ($15) as it does to buy - so I think I'll wait and see if there's somewhere local that has the $19.99 one. There's a store in town called Aerobics First -I'll try there. If not then I might as well go to RR for the more expensive one.
I hate shipping costs! Steep and Cheap is the same - great prices, ridiculous shipping charges :cry:

I have "the stick", bought it in Philly at the expo. See, thestick.com. A word of advice, don't pack it in a carry-on if you can help it! :roll:

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Q wrote:

I have "the stick", bought it in Philly at the expo. See, thestick.com. A word of advice, don't pack it in a carry-on if you can help it! :roll:

Yeah, I can hear it now. "Take this plane to Cuba or I'll massage your calves!"
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Q wrote:

Yep, ditto on that one, when I brought mine to Vegas in December or was it Marine Corps in Washington :think::think: ... Got some weird looks and explaining to to Security at the X-Ray Machines ... then, one of the supervisors, commented that it is just hard plastic, no more dangerous than the rollerblades, etc., that other people bring on board ... :shock: :shock: It helped that I was wearing my marathon race jacket ... :roll: :wink:

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:40 pm

drghfx wrote:
Q wrote:

Yeah, I can hear it now. "Take this plane to Cuba or I'll massage your calves!"

When it goes through the X-ray. They'll pull you aside. I have no doubt of it.

caro
Bruce Kidd

Postby caro » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Hey Jacqui, you can try Soles in Motion in Burnside (the strip mall across from Staples). They had the stick at the Bluenose expo sometime.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Got one! a foamy. It ocurred to me this morning there might be one in NY! Which is where I am right now. Had to walk miles to find a sporting store - I don't think they're into sports in Manhatten :lol:
The sales guy recommended the 36" one. $19.99US.

Of course it ended up costing me more than that....well! it was a big store....with lots of stuff....like cool bike racks! ......and running gear.....:oops:

Thanks for the name of that store Caro. I'll check there for a stick when I get back.

Now to roll around the hotel room floor - yuck, on second thought, maybe not....
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:13 pm

OUCH :!: That hurts :shock:
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 pm

JacSprat wrote:OUCH :!: That hurts :shock:

Yeah. That means it's working. When you don't need it anymore it won't hurt.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 am

RR sells two different rollers. The green one is denser foam that resists compression, while the white one is cheaper, but seems like it would break down quickly.

A couple of other inexpensive options I've used...

Pool noodle: Yes, the foam compresses quickly, but I've wrapped it with rolled over hockey tape to build it up. Works great.

Wine bottle: Use a large wine bottle and wrap hockey tape around it.

Nalgene bottle: Same as above and is a good use for them now since you're not supposed to drink out of them anymore.

Also...The stick was mentioned, and thought I'd pass this gear review my sister did for Snowshoe Magazine...
http://www.snowshoemag.com/view_content ... ent_id=358
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 am

spaff wrote:A couple of other inexpensive options I've used...

Pool noodle: Yes, the foam compresses quickly, but I've wrapped it with rolled over hockey tape to build it up. Works great.

I've done the same thing but used duct tape.....

I've been using The Stick for years and a Thumper for even longer:
http://www.thumpermassager.com/minipro.html
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 am

Nick wrote:
spaff wrote:A couple of other inexpensive options I've used...

I've done the same thing but used duct tape.....

Duct tape would work too. I guess I've always liked hockey tape because it isn't as slippery. Always fun when the pet fur sticks to the hockey tape too:)
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 am

spaff wrote: Always fun when the pet fur sticks to the hockey tape too:)

I guess that's your story and you're sticking to it....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks for the reviews. A stick is definitely next on my list.

The foam roller I bought is really dense so that's good. I guess it depends how heavy you are but I can't see this one breaking down any time soon.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

Return to “Gearing Up”