Cheap winter running tights?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ROW
Bill Crothers

Cheap winter running tights?

Postby ROW » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 pm

I was wondering if there are any cheap running tights for winter running tights that are effective?

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Re: Cheap winter running tights?

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Blanken wrote:I was wondering if there are any cheap running tights for winter running tights that are effective?

Cheapest I've seen are from MEC, they are pretty good. Having said that buying a good pair will last you years and years of running.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:17 pm

"cheap" and "effective" don't really belong together. :P

it depends on how cold it's going to be.... for winnipeg weather you want warmth (a couple of layers).

My favourites are the Sugoi firewall tights, but they are not cheap--around $140.

Check winners and see what you can find there--if you can find some warmer tights and then put a windproof layer over top, you should be good for awhile.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 pm

Robbie-T wrote:
Blanken wrote:I was wondering if there are any cheap running tights for winter running tights that are effective?

Cheapest I've seen are from MEC, they are pretty good. Having said that buying a good pair will last you years and years of running.
The problem is I am still growing so I wouldnt know if they would work next year.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Try Winners - it's hit and miss but you can often get quite good deals there
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Blanken wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:

The problem is I am still growing so I wouldnt know if they would work next year.

right, about $50 at MEC
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Or Costco...or look for specials on last season's stock somewhere, anywhere. And add a cheap pair of nylon pants over the top for colder days. Those you can get at Winners.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 pm

I'd definitely suggest getting the MEC ones, or some cheap ones from Winners, and get a cheap pair of wind pants at Winners to go over top for the really cold days. Long johns under tights help a lot too. Or- I know it sounds crazy- but pantyhose even helps a bit. Just don't tell anyone or show anyone! LOL. When you've stopped growing, though, you'll really notice a difference with the pricier tights, especially the Sugoi ones. They are sooooo warm.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:37 pm

I bought my MEC tights 4 years ago and they're still in great shape! When it was really cold I would wear my MEC fleece pants overtop.
Just call me the thread killa

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Blanken wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:

I'll bet money you'll outgrow them by next year... it's a fact for the age you're at.
I agree with the MEC recommendation too... or Winners. Good luck!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:44 pm

When I went into the states the under armour tights were 30 $, are they any good?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Blanken wrote:When I went into the states the under armour tights were 30 $, are they any good?

I use them as a base layer but you'll want something else over top. UA also makes running pants that you could wear as a top layer... worth checking out if you can get them for a good price.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:53 pm

Robbie-T wrote:

Ditto on MEC. Best prices I've found.

I have some fleece-lined ones I got from there. You would need another layer for very cold stuff, though.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:09 pm

I've found some really nice thermal tights at Winners. It's really hit&miss, but worth checking out. Also, as suggested above, MEC has very good stuff.
I would have suggested race expos (the bigger the better), but the racing season is pretty much over. You can find really good deals at expos.
Good luck.
Ultrarunner again

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Value Village?

I've found some pretty good bargains there!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:16 pm

http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product ... cts_id=753
I bought a pair of these things. I could fit into a small but I don't do tight pants to well so I bought a large instead. The spandex in it makes it feel like a looser medium which suits me fine. Since it is a few size larger, I should have plenty of room to grow into it in the future (at the time, due to lack of dietary constraints...) or double up with something else underneath if need be. The wind panel does a really nice job & the reflective stripe on back is really handy at night or in miserable weather.
As for effectiveness.... a few years ago in a nice Montreal winter, must have been Jan/Feb & definitely around 6:00pm as I left work for the day, -27 & I had the pants, regular cotton socks, I am a fruit of the loom guy, & winter boots... no 2nd layer. I was riding home that evening. The roads were really clean & I would have had no trouble getting to speed with the exception of the wind... have no clue what the windchill factor was but I remember taht my legs did not freeze... could not say the same for my hands & feet though :lol: :lol: :lol:
On that particular day, it (still) stands as my personal record on the coldest day I have ever been on my bike :D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm

as a new young runner, it might be helpful for one of the guys to explain why the wind panel is desirable.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:26 pm

QuickChick wrote:I'd definitely suggest getting the MEC ones, or some cheap ones from Winners, and get a cheap pair of wind pants at Winners to go over top for the really cold days. Long johns under tights help a lot too. Or- I know it sounds crazy- but pantyhose even helps a bit. Just don't tell anyone or show anyone! LOL. When you've stopped growing, though, you'll really notice a difference with the pricier tights, especially the Sugoi ones. They are sooooo warm.

At Bushtuka, I picked up a pair of Sugoi on sale for $59. They fit real nice, better then the pair I got at MEC. Wasn't ready to pay over $100 for tights...not yet

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=81_82_31&language_id=1&products_id=753
I bought a pair of these things. I could fit into a small but I don't do tight pants to well so I bought a large instead. The spandex in it makes it feel like a looser medium which suits me fine. Since it is a few size larger, I should have plenty of room to grow into it in the future (at the time, due to lack of dietary constraints...) or double up with something else underneath if need be. The wind panel does a really nice job & the reflective stripe on back is really handy at night or in miserable weather.
As for effectiveness.... a few years ago in a nice Montreal winter, must have been Jan/Feb & definitely around 6:00pm as I left work for the day, -27 & I had the pants, regular cotton socks, I am a fruit of the loom guy, & winter boots... no 2nd layer. I was riding home that evening. The roads were really clean & I would have had no trouble getting to speed with the exception of the wind... have no clue what the windchill factor was but I remember taht my legs did not freeze... could not say the same for my hands & feet though :lol: :lol: :lol:
On that particular day, it (still) stands as my personal record on the coldest day I have ever been on my bike :D

I've tried those and the Sugoi firewall ones are 100 times better, hands down. The RR ones are very bulky and heavy in comparison... felt like I was wearing a snow suit.

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 am

Dupe sorry --can't seem to delete, no "X" for this post?
Last edited by Plods on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:27 am

seuss wrote:as a new young runner, it might be helpful for one of the guys to explain why the wind panel is desirable.

You are all so friendly here. On the other running forum I visit occasionally, young runners would be expected to discover the answer through experience, and then to serve said experience up for the amusement of the veteran peeps.

[Hint: See if you can find a January 20, 1977 letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, penned by Melvin Hershkowitz.]

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Plods wrote:[Hint: See if you can find a January 20, 1977 letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, penned by Melvin Hershkowitz.]

Coles notes version for those without a NEJM account

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html
Last edited by garth on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

cgraham wrote:Try Winners - it's hit and miss but you can often get quite good deals there

I second this...you never know what you will find, but its always inexpensive. I buy all my running clothes there (not shoes and jackets, though)
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

garth wrote:
Plods wrote:[Hint: See if you can find a January 20, 1977 letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, penned by Melvin Hershkowitz.]

Thanks for that. As a brand new member, I am not yet allowed to put links or even list URLs in my posts, so I had to be creative about how to direct readers. I also am not quite sure yet where the boundaries are in terms of actually naming the rather delicate condition in the text of a post.

I think I am off probation tomorrow so no more cryptic hints.

(At the risk of going back on topic, I agree with those who recommend the tights at MEC for value.)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 am

Plods wrote:
garth wrote:

Thanks for that. As a brand new member, I am not yet allowed to put links or even list URLs in my posts, so I had to be creative about how to direct readers. I also am not quite sure yet where the boundaries are in terms of actually naming the rather delicate condition in the text of a post.

I think I am off probation tomorrow so no more cryptic hints.

(At the risk of going back on topic, I agree with those who recommend the tights at MEC for value.)

it's 5 days and 5 posts so you're fine.

Return to “Gearing Up”