hydration dilemma

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ultraslacker
Site Admin

hydration dilemma

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I had this dilemma last year when I was planning to do a summer marathon. I didn't want to carry around my bulky hydration pack--instead, to fill up my hand-held bottle at the aid stations. Doonst sent me a race belt to hold gels. Good to go, right?

Now I'm looking at my 50k next weekend and was planning to do just that--wear the belt and carry my water. But due to trail conditions the aid stations have been moved around a bit, and there are larger gaps between some of them (I think the largest is 8k-ish). I'm a little nervous about having JUST my hand-held bottle for the whole race.

So... I thought about my hydration pack and still don't like how bulky it is, and sometimes it chafes, etc. I went to MEC today to see if I could find a smaller, lighter one. They had one but for some obscure reason they had no bladders that fit that pack. Ok, back to square one.

What would you do? Carry the bottle, or wear the uncomfortable hydration pack?

Other factors:
it won't be hot out, and there's a good chance it will rain
the biggest gap between stations is (I think) on the toughest part of the course
my hydration pack has no accessible pockets without taking off the pack, so I'd still have to wear the race belt too, adding more bulk

??
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:11 pm

I wouldn't want to hold a hand held bottle the whole race, but if that's what you're used to I don't see the issue. Do you really think that you'll polish off the bottle in under 8k? And 8k's just the point at which you get a refill, you're not going without for that long. But if you want more water then that keep looking for a good hydra-pack.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Portentous wrote:And 8k's just the point at which you get a refill, you're not going without for that long.

This is true.

I find that I drink more water on the more difficult courses, so that is my concern. But you're right that even if I drank the whole bottle between stations (not likely), I wouldn't have so far to go to the next station...

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:07 pm

As long as you're used to carrying a bottle, you should be fine, especially if the weather is OK. If you really want to play it safe, stop for an extra minute at the aid station to drink a bit more. FYI - my friend and I are planning to use the same tactic at Powderface this year.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 pm

ian wrote:As long as you're used to carrying a bottle, you should be fine, especially if the weather is OK. If you really want to play it safe, stop for an extra minute at the aid station to drink a bit more. FYI - my friend and I are planning to use the same tactic at Powderface this year.

When I did powderface it was 30C, so be prepared for that! I was drinking water out of the streams (also rinsing my arms and face in them) and the aid stations are further apart in that race, so make sure you carry enough. They filled my hydration pack with ice at one of the stations so that was brilliant!

Bellingham will probably be 5-10 degrees so it shouldn't be as bad.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Pardon the hijack.... What race are you doing?
ATD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:Pardon the hijack.... What race are you doing?
ATD

chuckanut 50k: http://www.gbrc.net/chuckanut50k.php

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 am

a bit late, unless you can find them locally, but the race ready shorts are perfect for hauling gels, gloves etc and you can run with double hand helds if you're concerned about the volume of fluids you're carrying.

What I've also done is picked up an ultimate direction bike bottle that is taller and hence holds more than the ud hand helds and put it in the 'holster'. When full it is a bit bulky, but it gives you about 25% more fluid in one hand.

Good luck on the race! -- I'm glad I didn't sign up for this the way my week has been going ;-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am

I run with a Camelback fanny pack (just around my waist) which holds 1.4 litres of fluids - also has pockets in zippered compartment where I stash cell phone and extra gels.... and there is a small pocket in the front on the right hip that holds a few gels quite nicely...... the hydration hose comes up with a small slip that I attach to the running singlet, and I'm good to go......

I don't feel it, and I have enough hydration to run 30 km comfortably for sure.... and then you can easily top it up at water stations (screw top on bladder)....

Cheers.
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:35 am

Sounds like if you are comfortable with the bottles, to go with it. Probably the best way to go. I haven't been able to get used to them though and prefer belt/pack myself.

If you did go with the pack, Fuelbelt makes a pretty comfy pouch that should fit on your straps to store gels/etc (RR sells them). And, load up on the bodyglide too, if chafing is an issue.

good luck
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:I run with a Camelback fanny pack (just around my waist) which holds 1.4 litres of fluids - also has pockets in zippered compartment where I stash cell phone and extra gels.... and there is a small pocket in the front on the right hip that holds a few gels quite nicely...... the hydration hose comes up with a small slip that I attach to the running singlet, and I'm good to go......

I don't feel it, and I have enough hydration to run 30 km comfortably for sure.... and then you can easily top it up at water stations (screw top on bladder)....

Cheers.

I have the same, and love it. Hardly know its there, its insulated enough that if you fill it with ice it will stay cold or a couple of hours in the hot summer days. Works well for me.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am

spaff wrote:Sounds like if you are comfortable with the bottles, to go with it. Probably the best way to go. I haven't been able to get used to them though and prefer belt/pack myself.

If you did go with the pack, Fuelbelt makes a pretty comfy pouch that should fit on your straps to store gels/etc (RR sells them). And, load up on the bodyglide too, if chafing is an issue.

good luck

For blackfoot I used the hydration pack and attached a pouch to the straps... but I found that the pouched bounced around a lot and it really annoyed me. :P The chafing tends to happen on my neck/shoulders where the shoulder straps rub. I guess I could put body glide there too!

I'm used to running with a hand-held bottle, though obviously I haven't done it for that distance.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 am

dwayne_runs_far wrote:a bit late, unless you can find them locally, but the race ready shorts are perfect for hauling gels, gloves etc and you can run with double hand helds if you're concerned about the volume of fluids you're carrying.

What I've also done is picked up an ultimate direction bike bottle that is taller and hence holds more than the ud hand helds and put it in the 'holster'. When full it is a bit bulky, but it gives you about 25% more fluid in one hand.

Good luck on the race! -- I'm glad I didn't sign up for this the way my week has been going ;-)

Dwayne

no shorts--I will be wearing my lulu capris since it might rain, and because shorts = chafing even without rain!

I think I'm going to go with the hand-held bottle, and just hope I don't run out anywhere along the way. :P

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Do you take two hand held bottles? You could get the gregory pack (I'm not sure which one you have) from MEC it is excellent but you'd have to pick up a bladder at Campers village since MEC doesn't have the bladders :roll: . I don't love my hand helds - my hands really are too small for them. I'll run 10km with them but after that, I just want to huck the things........

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Size5 wrote:Do you take two hand held bottles? You could get the gregory pack (I'm not sure which one you have) from MEC it is excellent but you'd have to pick up a bladder at Campers village since MEC doesn't have the bladders :roll: . I don't love my hand helds - my hands really are too small for them. I'll run 10km with them but after that, I just want to huck the things........

S5

The gregory one is the one I was going to buy, but as you said they didn't have the bladder! I will check Campers Village for a bladder before buying the pack, but thanks for the tip.

On my long run today I realized that I will be at the tail end of this race and who knows how much water, etc, will be left when I get there... which means that I'm changing my mind and going with the hydration pack just in case.

(I just carry one bottle... I need a hand for gels and stuff.)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm considering the Nathan HPL #020. Has anyone tried it? It feels very comfy but I just wasn't 100% sold on the front straps... there is only one strap across instead of two, and the pockets on the front are kind of bulky.

Also it's expensive--$100. But it did feel great on my back and shoulders, and gets excellent reviews at backcountry.com:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/NAT001 ... -Vest.html

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Couldn't you get a generic bladder at MEC?

Ron
coyote jogger

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:04 pm

RonPerth wrote:Couldn't you get a generic bladder at MEC?

Ron

none of them fit the pack. I tried. They are all either too tall or too wide (or both).

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 am

Haven't tried the Nathan HPL 020, but everyone who I've talked to who has loves it. I tried it on in a store and it was super comfortable. I've also seen them on ebay from time to time.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I think I'm going to go with the Nathan pack. My two hangups are the price and that I think the front pockets look kind of dorky. I need to get over the look thing, lol.

For the reviews it gets, I think it will be worth the price.

Weather forecast for saturday: high of 7, 40% chance of rain. Cooler on the mountain, I'm sure. So now I get to play the what-to-wear game. I'm thinking capris and light long-sleeve... *maybe* a vest but that might be too warm.... oh decisions!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Which hydration pack do you have now? I have the camelbak women's specific with an chest strap added and it is awesome. No chafing :) Holds 1.5 L

It's called something to do with sparkling...but that's not it...

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 pm

slacker wrote:
Weather forecast for saturday: high of 7, 40% chance of rain. Cooler on the mountain, I'm sure. So now I get to play the what-to-wear game. I'm thinking capris and light long-sleeve... *maybe* a vest but that might be too warm.... oh decisions!

no clue or input on the hydration quesiton Holly - but my only suggestion re the weather - take as many options as you can. Odds are, you won't figure that out until you're there and it's race morning! :wink:
Race Hard. Race Happy.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm

this is the combination i use from MEC:

gregory stimulus pack

source bladder (i use 1.5)

it's worked well, no complaints, love the pockets, highly recommend. and it's on sale!

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 pm

FishPants wrote:Which hydration pack do you have now? I have the camelbak women's specific with an chest strap added and it is awesome. No chafing :) Holds 1.5 L

That sounds like the one I have, too, and it's always been really comfortable for me.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 pm

tri princess wrote:
FishPants wrote:Which hydration pack do you have now? I have the camelbak women's specific with an chest strap added and it is awesome. No chafing :) Holds 1.5 L

That sounds like the one I have, too, and it's always been really comfortable for me.

Charm (I have that one as well).

Return to “Gearing Up”