Lululemon for Running

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Lululemon for Running

Postby QuickChick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I just got my first disappointing Lulu product, well other than the toque that gave me a headache. :roll: I got the pink singlet tank, thinking it would be my marathon shirt. Well... it won't be... it shows sweat like crazy!! I looked like I had gone swimming after my run on Sunday. Now to be fair it's very comfy, and it fits nicely. I'll still wear it. But for race photos, it just won't do. My other silverescent top isn't like that- it's a thicker fabric or something (a sunrise t-shirt- discontinued for some reason, even though it's the best shirt ever :()
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:44 pm

bgroot wrote:I'll have to investigate the empire seaming a little bit more and then send in that feedback. The Run:Focus Tank is a great choice for the larger chested runner. Also, the TaTaTamer bra is amazing for keeping your girls in place on the run. The trick is finding the perfect size because it is so supportive that if you get one too small, it will hurt and too big, it will not provide the support and will probably chafe.
As for the rise of the shorts and pants, there are a few styles that are a bit more modest. The Still short/crop/pant are a pretty high rise, with the option of folding the waistband down if you prefer the lower fit. The Relaxed fit crops and Extend crops also have higher waistlines. We used to have the Puma Run shorts which had a much wider waistband which could be worn a bit higher as well.

Empire seam is a seam just below the breasts. I prefer the shirts that have the side/front seams as opposed to the empire seam.

Sorry if I am not explaining this well!!

I have a TaTaTamer...I can't use it for running :) Not enough support up top, on the bouncy chest part above the boobs.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:27 am

bgroot wrote:I'll have to investigate the empire seaming a little bit more and then send in that feedback. The Run:Focus Tank is a great choice for the larger chested runner. Also, the TaTaTamer bra is amazing for keeping your girls in place on the run. The trick is finding the perfect size because it is so supportive that if you get one too small, it will hurt and too big, it will not provide the support and will probably chafe.

I don't see a Run:Focus Tank listed on the website

TaTaTamer doesn't come big enough. I wear a 36DDD.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:16 am

QuickChick wrote:I just got my first disappointing Lulu product, well other than the toque that gave me a headache. :roll: I got the pink singlet tank, thinking it would be my marathon shirt. Well... it won't be... it shows sweat like crazy!! I looked like I had gone swimming after my run on Sunday. Now to be fair it's very comfy, and it fits nicely. I'll still wear it. But for race photos, it just won't do. My other silverescent top isn't like that- it's a thicker fabric or something (a sunrise t-shirt- discontinued for some reason, even though it's the best shirt ever :()

Even the darker colours are like that. But you're right, still a great top.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Stinky hippie question: If you're out exercising, isn't it ok to show sweat? Maybe it's just my mutant man-gene (it rears its ugly head once in a while), but if I'm running, I expect it to show. No?

I get not wanting to show sweat in work clothes but in workout gear? Meh...
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:49 am

Agent Provocateur wrote:Stinky hippie question: If you're out exercising, isn't it ok to show sweat? Maybe it's just my mutant man-gene (it rears its ugly head once in a while), but if I'm running, I expect it to show. No?

Lisa's issue was just regarding race day photos.

I don't have an issue with tops showing sweat, but I'm not so keen on shorts/crops/pants that do (i.e., grey). It always looks like you've peed your pants. :?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:45 am

That issue is something I've been on for quite awhile now. Their tech shirts are by far the most comfortable and best performing shirts I've ever worn, but they do show sweat really bad. In most cases I don't really care, but I can see that being something you wouldn't want in race photos. Also, I choose not to ride my bike to work because its just enough time to work up a sweat and then I don't want to be starting work with sweat blobs on my shirt.

I'm really happy about the Run Tights coming in. They are very comfortable for a mid weight tight. I'm hoping the weather gets cooler just so I can test out some of this great new fall/winter gear I have.
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:14 pm

bgroot wrote: I'm hoping the weather gets cooler just so I can test out some of this great new fall/winter gear I have.

Bite your tongue. We are finally experiencing summer here. I'll happily wear shorts until January.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:23 pm

KBO wrote:
bgroot wrote: I'm hoping the weather gets cooler just so I can test out some of this great new fall/winter gear I have.

Bite your tongue. We are finally experiencing summer here. I'll happily wear shorts until January.

What she said!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:Stinky hippie question: If you're out exercising, isn't it ok to show sweat? Maybe it's just my mutant man-gene (it rears its ugly head once in a while), but if I'm running, I expect it to show. No?

Ha ha... yeah La said it well. In general I don't mind. In my first BQ marathon finish line pic though, I don't want to look nasty. :D
It is super comfy though.

I do wish Lulu would bring back the Sunrise tech shirt, though. It is the BEST. The BEST.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 am

QuickChick wrote:

Ha ha... yeah La said it well. In general I don't mind. In my first BQ marathon finish line pic though, I don't want to look nasty. :D
It is super comfy though.

I do wish Lulu would bring back the Sunrise tech shirt, though. It is the BEST. The BEST.

Perhaps I'm revealing a minor girl crush, but I doubt that you would look nasty in anything. But I guess I can understand the nice photos concept.
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:
Perhaps I'm revealing a minor girl crush, but I doubt that you would look nasty in anything. But I guess I can understand the nice photos concept.

:oops: :oops: You live pretty far away, my friend, and haven't seen how much I sweat. It's gross. But thanks!

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Re:

Postby babysteps » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:59 pm

a-slow-5 wrote:
One other comment: I am more and more turned off of Lululemon when I see it worn by 12-yr-olds that have no idea and/or appreciation of what it's meant for and or it's cost (evident when you see them wearing too long yoga pants that have dragged on the ground enough to fray them badly).

I shouldn't blame the label for this, but I am generally so not a name-brander that I just can't help but want to boycott it on principle.

I hadn't noticed this until this week. Now, all of a sudden, all my daughter's friends and the kids in town are wearing it! I can see what you mean about it kind of being annoying. Not so much because they are wearing Lulu per se, but I don't want to look like I'm wearing teenie bopper clothes. If they take over the brand, I think a lot of 30 something and older women will stop wearing it. It's embarrassing when you see 'that mom' who wears the same clothes as her daughter, but really shouldn't. I think a lot of us try to be careful not to fall into that trap.

fingersandtoes
Percy Williams

Postby fingersandtoes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm

I am also finding that the tops are becoming increasingly lower cut. One of my recent race pictures shows way more of me than I intended, and I don't find that look very athletic. That being said, I probably have more than 15 lulu items in my workout wardrobe, and they get more use than any of my other gear.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm

fingersandtoes wrote:I am also finding that the tops are becoming increasingly lower cut. .

YES! All of the comment cards and emails I've been sending in have finally paid off.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Want to hear my rant?

I live 2.5 hours away from the nearest Lulu so when I get a chance to go it's very exciting. Today, was that chance! All I wanted was a new running bra and a long sleeved top (okay - so that doesn't really justify the "all" part...anyway). I arrive at the store which is packed with teenagers. I cannot find a staff person on the floor anywhere that isn't chatting up her friends (or so it seems). I find, on my own, ONE long sleeved top in size 8. I'm a 4. So, finally, I ask the clerk who is folding pants in the back, where the rest of the long sleeved shirts are?

"Ummmm, like...we have some, like in boxes? In, like, the back? But, like they're not open yet? You should like totally come back tomorrow."

Yeah, okay, I tell her I'm from out of town and was really hoping to get a shirt today as it's my only chance to shop in her store (hoping she'd offer to go look in "the boxes"). Her response? "Yeah, well..."

So, I say, being a bit more direct...I guess I should go next door to the Running Room?

Her response, "Good luck okay?!" :)

So, I was ready to pay $70 for a shirt and $60 for a bra, if only someone would help me. But no. Guess that was too much to ask.

So i went next door and bought both items, and some gels, at the RR. The staff there were helpful. They deserved my money today.

Moral of the story? Lulu just went down a BIG step in my list of destinations for shopping.

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 am

:shock: You should email that to Lululemon.
Green Smoothies Rock!

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

babysteps wrote:Want to hear my rant?

I live 2.5 hours away from the nearest Lulu so when I get a chance to go it's very exciting. Today, was that chance! All I wanted was a new running bra and a long sleeved top (okay - so that doesn't really justify the "all" part...anyway). I arrive at the store which is packed with teenagers. I cannot find a staff person on the floor anywhere that isn't chatting up her friends (or so it seems). I find, on my own, ONE long sleeved top in size 8. I'm a 4. So, finally, I ask the clerk who is folding pants in the back, where the rest of the long sleeved shirts are?

"Ummmm, like...we have some, like in boxes? In, like, the back? But, like they're not open yet? You should like totally come back tomorrow."

Yeah, okay, I tell her I'm from out of town and was really hoping to get a shirt today as it's my only chance to shop in her store (hoping she'd offer to go look in "the boxes"). Her response? "Yeah, well..."

So, I say, being a bit more direct...I guess I should go next door to the Running Room?

So, I was ready to pay $70 for a shirt and $60 for a bra, if only someone would help me. But no. Guess that was too much to ask.

So i went next door and bought both items, and some gels, at the RR. The staff there were helpful. They deserved my money today.

Moral of the story? Lulu just went down a BIG step in my list of destinations for shopping.

I have no trouble believing this. I find it is that way most Saturday afternoons at the Lulu in one of the malls here. Other times aren't bad though. There is actually one clerk at the store here who is a runner, and is very helpful when it comes to running clothes. She's older than what seems to be the average age of the typical Lulu staff. I think that makes a difference too.

Add me to the group with the love/hate relationship. I have a jacket and two shirts that I love, I hate every pair of pants/shorts that I have ever tried on at Lulu, and I've tried on lots. I don't wear work out clothes for casual wear, and the pants just don't seem to have a good fit for running.

Add me to the list that would like to see size 14s.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:49 pm

i looked at the online catalogue - no way in hell i'll be wearing any of those shorts. it's a public service for me to keep my belly covered. ditto on the thighs. need some coverage thank you very much.

i love the quality of Lulu clothes and have lots of yoga stuff and a jacket. but i sure am tired of going into the store and the only sizes available are 4 and 6. i wear and 8 or a 10 in lulu stuff. never ever in stock.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

treadlightly wrote::shock: You should email that to Lululemon.

Like, totally! And be sure to write it exactly like this:

:roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:48 pm

La wrote:
treadlightly wrote::shock: You should email that to Lululemon.

Like, totally! And be sure to write it exactly like this:

:roll:

Ya, this has happened before to me too (well not exactly, but the stunned teenager sales person). It is the generation. At least they are working... (wow that was grumpy) It's cool to work there, and us old farts (anyone over 25) should go somewhere else.. ;)

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 am

Hey Look!!!! http://shop.lululemon.com/RunSpirit_Tig ... /1586.html

High waist, compression, size 14!! Yeah!!

Well done Brian.

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:48 am

this one is called Run: ultra but then the description says it's for warm-up and track... so what is it?
http://shop.lululemon.com/RunUltra_Pant ... /1439.html

a nice trail running pant would be nice for colder, rainier days...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:23 pm

babysteps wrote:Want to hear my rant?

Was this in Halifax?
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Yes. Halifax.

Return to “Gearing Up”