Lululemon for Running

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Lululemon for Running

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 am

abhainn wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
bgroot wrote:We probably can never really be off the record in the computer age, but stand up and say I definitely agree with you. Yes, it is part of lululemon culture to push the envelope and be thought provoking, but it is not always 100% thought through of how people are going to react to it. One of the greatest things about the company is that it gives each store and each employee at the store the ability to make decisions, such as putting that slogan in the window. It's quite possible that the display that week was one of that person's "mistakes" that they'll have to love and learn from. I think the the fact that the girl you were talking to on the phone responded in stunned silence suggests that she probably saw where you were coming from and your complaint was valid. I hope that doesn't prevent you from ever shopping there again because one little thing doesn't represent the company's entire culture. I think above all, we (at lululemon) strive to create the best experience for our guests and to create relationships with the community, helping to contribute to elevating the world with our functional clothing and all the events and thought provoking that we do.
I find it really difficult sometimes to be a yoga teacher that tries to live very ethically and without greed, and also work for a company that sells pants for $98/pair without even advertising. What is the best way to price an item? By the amount that it costs to make or by the value they hold with the person who buys them? I think I'll finish my rant with a Thomas Edison. "I have not made any mistakes. I have successfully found 10000 ways how not to make a lightbulb."

Brian...I was impressed that the slogan came down in response to consumers' reaction. I don't shop a lot at LuLu Lemon but that's simply because I prefer to shop at two locally owned stores that sell running gear and "leisure" wear. But I love my LuLu pants :D :D

Last spring I volunteered at a water station for the Kingston Half Marathon. I was the only non LuLu employee at the station...and the enthusiasm of these volunteers was impressive!!

LuLu staff have always been very "chipper" at Dwayne's trail races where they volunteered :) I would never fit in there :wink:

It's okay Andrea...I'm not sure Samantha would either :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
abhainn wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Brian...I was impressed that the slogan came down in response to consumers' reaction. I don't shop a lot at LuLu Lemon but that's simply because I prefer to shop at two locally owned stores that sell running gear and "leisure" wear. But I love my LuLu pants :D :D

Last spring I volunteered at a water station for the Kingston Half Marathon. I was the only non LuLu employee at the station...and the enthusiasm of these volunteers was impressive!!

LuLu staff have always been very "chipper" at Dwayne's trail races where they volunteered :) I would never fit in there :wink:

It's okay Andrea...I'm not sure Samantha would either :lol: :wink:

I thought the same myself but didn't want to say it out loud :shifty:

But even though they were super chipper they were still really nice. There are some people who are so chipper I want to rip their heads off you know? LuLu staff haven't been like that :D Maybe 'cause they are young and I'm used to dealing with young chipper at work.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:08 pm

abhainn wrote:
But even though they were super chipper they were still really nice. There are some people who are so chipper I want to rip their heads off you know? LuLu staff haven't been like that :D Maybe 'cause they are young and I'm used to dealing with young chipper at work.

I knolw what you mean. I don't shop much at LuLu but any time I have the staff has been really helpful with suggestions...
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in about the window because I do believe it's all context and how you read it. I read it differently as it wasn't the only slogan in the window, but was related to making the manifesto more holiday-like and have people think about how the craziness of the holidays can impact their lives. Greed is related to 99% of all illness is a take on the original manifesto and to me, makes me stop and think about what I really want for Christmas...is more stuff really necessary? My Father is currently sick, but I didn't take offence to the window as I'm confident in the person my Father is and know how he's lived his life. He isn't greedy so that certainly hasn't been the cause what's happening. Though I can see how it can be taken this way.

To me, the store tried to do something that would definitley make people think at this time of year, however in this one case, the execution didn't work.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 pm

I just finished working during our boxing day event at the lulu in london. What a riot! Tons of marked down items, just like at the warehouse sale as well as a bunch of new Spring Run product!!! Some great stuff to start into 2010.

I'm probably one of those chipper ones that make you want to rip my head off. I often have co-workers who would like to do that. Somehow, through my life's experiences, I have learned that there is absolutely no consolation in being in a bad mood and the best way to become truly happy, is just to present happiness. It tends to infect you, if you let it. We all have a choice to be happy and make positive choices in our lives, or to be mopey and revel in the moments of our lives that don't manifest as you might have wished. I just choose to be happy!

*Please feel free to imagine ripping my head off now*

See you out there on the run!!! I'm just heading out for a slow 24km along the river in London.
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 am

I bought a pair of motion shorts as part of the Boxing Day Sale and I am excited to try them running. $20 off plus R&D discount made them hard to pass up.

Lululemon has an advert in January's Runner's World magazine, so I guess they can't say they no longer advertise. Although the models in Oxygen magazine have been wearing lulu for a while.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:54 pm

It was just last month that they expanded their print advertising into Runner's World. They have always had an ad in the Yoga Journal but that was it before. It would be awesome to see something in Canadian Running Magazine as well. I hope lulu tries to participate at more running Expo's around the country.
Brian

Upcoming races:

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:35 pm

The "greed" statement sounds like a case of "47% of statistics are made up on the spot".. i.e. there is no scientific basis for this statement, it is someone's opinion... :roll: :roll:

ANYWAY- has anyone tried the Passion or the Empower Crop? They look nice for my trips to the indoor track this winter! :)

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:33 pm

TriJenn IronVirgin wrote:ANYWAY- has anyone tried the Passion or the Empower Crop? They look nice for my trips to the indoor track this winter! :)

Jenn

I've got 2 pairs of the Empowers crops (or, if I am wrong and they are a different name, they sure look the same). I love them. My only problem with them is I have one size 10, and one size 8. The 10's were a little big in the waist, so I have to make sure I cinch the drawstring pretty tight, or they slip down while I run. I haven't worn them since last January, though. :?

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:03 am

Can anyone from LuLu tell me if there are any Run Windsprint Pants left in the country? On the website they have been moved to Loot, but they only have a size 2 available. :(

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:05 am

We (London) did have some last week but I think we might have gone through the last couple pairs in the last few days. Sorry:(
Brian

Upcoming races:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:17 am

TriJenn IronVirgin wrote:The "greed" statement sounds like a case of "47% of statistics are made up on the spot".. i.e. there is no scientific basis for this statement, it is someone's opinion... :roll: :roll:

True! I've heard that any statement is made 87% more believable when you attach a statistic to it. :wink: :lol:

lovethehills, thanks for sharing your take on the slogan. I don't think I would personally have an issue with that statement because I wouldn't take the word "illness" literally. I'd be more likely to agree with a statement that said, "Greed is related to 99% of all unhapiness."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm

bgroot wrote:We (London) did have some last week but I think we might have gone through the last couple pairs in the last few days. Sorry:(

That's ok, I found them! I went to the Scarborough store and the girl confirmed that they are sold out, but pointed me to a rack in my size that had various pants on it. I thought about leaving, but I thought I would have a look on the rack anyhow and the second pair of pants that I looked at were the Windsprint ones..........in my size AND on sale! :mrgreen: I scurried off to the change room with a goofy grin on my face. They fit perfectly, but they need to be hemmed a bit so I won't get them until next week, but I couldn't be happier! :dance:

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm so happy that you found your pants kc. It is always the best feeling when someone is looking for something and you think there's none left, but you take a second look and there it is!!!! We just got a bunch of really cool new women's run stuff in along with all the markdowns for last week. Lots of running luon which I absolutely love. Its about 3 times more wicking than regular luon so its great as a mid layer on those cold winter runs.
Brian

Upcoming races:

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Just wanted to chime in here and say I ran in some new Empower Crops and I love them! I ran on the TM and wasn't too hot and they provide nice support to the legs and bottom.

They are my new favorite crops!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

babysteps wrote:Just wanted to chime in here and say I ran in some new Empower Crops and I love them! I ran on the TM and wasn't too hot and they provide nice support to the legs and bottom.

Hey...I just got some of those too. But I suspect I won't try them until I can run outdoor in them...I tend to heat up quickly and can't imagine wearing anything other than shorts on the TM. But I have to say I do like the fit of them. I'm looking forward to taking them out on the road!

BUT....

I have been eyeing the speed shorts and finally got some .....love them. They are perhaps not the type of short to wear if you're self conscious about your legs...because they do show a lot of leg...but very comfy!!

Oh...and BTW...I've made peace with the local store. They are going to be in charge of Hula Girl's water station that is quite famous at the K-Town Tri.

And Holy Moly...I got an e-mail from Alex, their assitant manager asking me if I'd be willing to go in and give them some feedback on some of their new gear in February.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:36 pm

The speed shorts are cute - and I bet they look fantastic on you!

I, on the other hand, should get paid to NOT wear those shorts!! Shudder. Let's just say, my thighs are not my best feature!!

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
babysteps wrote:Just wanted to chime in here and say I ran in some new Empower Crops and I love them! I ran on the TM and wasn't too hot and they provide nice support to the legs and bottom.

Hey...I just got some of those too. But I suspect I won't try them until I can run outdoor in them...I tend to heat up quickly and can't imagine wearing anything other than shorts on the TM. But I have to say I do like the fit of them. I'm looking forward to taking them out on the road!

BUT....

I have been eyeing the speed shorts and finally got some .....love them. They are perhaps not the type of short to wear if you're self conscious about your legs...because they do show a lot of leg...but very comfy!!

Oh...and BTW...I've made peace with the local store. They are going to be in charge of Hula Girl's water station that is quite famous at the K-Town Tri.

And Holy Moly...I got an e-mail from Alex, their assitant manager asking me if I'd be willing to go in and give them some feedback on some of their new gear in February.

I had to scroll back up and read this again as I couldn't believe who was writing it. :wink: The speed shorts would be awesome on you and you have the personality to carry them off! :wink: That's totally amazing that you are going to have an opportunity to check out their new gear in February! :dance:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:And Holy Moly...I got an e-mail from Alex, their assitant manager asking me if I'd be willing to go in and give them some feedback on some of their new gear in February.

Enjoy! It's a really fun way to spend part of your day. Brian hooked me up back in November for the same thing.

Just don't drool all over the stuff like I did :oops:

The "Run Empower Crops" were my faves as well. :D
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I bought the Run Empower Crops because babysteps said they were good. Hopefully they will be when they arrive. The Astro Crops I bought last summer are now way too big for running. Somehow, I misplaced my ass somewhere.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Ah! The pressure.

If it helps, I think I know where you misplaced your ass. It's been following me around since Christmas.

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:03 pm

You guys crack me up. I have HUGE thighs, but love the speed short and don't care who sees me in them!! I just bought the new pink plaid :shock: and I don't even like pink!

RUN Empower Crops rule. Enough said.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

lovethehills wrote:You guys crack me up. I have HUGE thighs, but love the speed short and don't care who sees me in them!! I just bought the new pink plaid :shock: and I don't even like pink!

RUN Empower Crops rule. Enough said.

T: is the Run Hills crop gone for good?? I want another pair. :(

(I don't really like the look of the Empower but maybe I would like them better in person...)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

I bought a motion tank* the other day in a gorgeous grape colour and I love it! I haven't ran in it, but I did spin. :)

*edit: I found my receipt, and apparently it is a cool racerback in bold blue. Bold blue is a lovely grape colour in person!

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 am

MINI-T wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:And Holy Moly...I got an e-mail from Alex, their assitant manager asking me if I'd be willing to go in and give them some feedback on some of their new gear in February.

Enjoy! It's a really fun way to spend part of your day. Brian hooked me up back in November for the same thing.

Just don't drool all over the stuff like I did :oops:

The "Run Empower Crops" were my faves as well. :D

How does one get hooked up for this kind of thing? :wink: I can walk to the Scarborough store if they ever need any input. :P

Return to “Gearing Up”